Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

problems with boosted oz rally

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2007, 04:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
problems with boosted oz rally

this is a '02 oz rally. i dunno much about mitsu's but im starting to learn. all i know is the motor has 60k miles. also it has been sprayed on before being boosted...and all that with stock internals. so i dunno how healthy it is for a mitsu.

i've had the car about a week and here's some minor problems i spotted during inspection. it would really help if i got other people's feedback/suggestions on this.

1. idling. it keeps bouncing up and down from 500rpm to 1200rpm after being driven.

2. vacuum leaks/exhaust leaks. it's currently running stock piping with no cat and a 2 1/2" tip muffler. could that be a problem?

3. clutch slippage. it's on a stock clutch...i know i need a performance one. can any one recommend a good brand for mitsu's?

4. turbo lag. it has the 16g turbo which is fairly small right? so shouldnt it have a faster spool? it spools somewhere around 3500rpm.

5. 5th injector. some of these problems may be caused by the 5th injector running through the intake. is there any way i can tune it to where it only runs fuel at WOT?

that's all i can think of right now. i'm gonna try and work on it today if i have time. i'll start with a compression/leak down test. then possibly change spark plugs for colder ones. Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by ihearthondas; Jan 26, 2007 at 04:48 AM. Reason: grammar
Old Jan 26, 2007, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ihearthondas

1. idling. it keeps bouncing up and down from 500rpm to 1200rpm after being driven.

5. 5th injector. some of these problems may be caused by the 5th injector running through the intake. is there any way i can tune it to where it only runs fuel at WOT?
What kind of fuel managment do you have? I didn't think you could run a 5th injector without a piggyback or stand alone. Piggybacks tend to make the idle lumpy, and there really isn't a good way around that.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

1&2.The idle problem is most likely from a vaccum leak!!! Either a line has busted or came off or your running a none recirculating BOV. The MAF sensor doesnt work well with a BOV to atmosphere.

3. The best clutch id go with is from road race motorsports. There are a few other clutchs like Spec and Works but havent heard a whole lot about them.

4.Are you running a recirculating BOV? It would help with the lag! 3500 doesnt sound to bad. I have a t25 and it spools around 2600.

5.As for the 5th, Ive never been to fond running extra injectors in the intake. What happens is the first couple of cylinders get all the extra fuel and the last cylinders get very little and run to lean. My advice it rip that out and either run a FMU or Adjust fuel pressure regulator, or larger injector and tune them with a piggyback.

Finally good luck!! Sounds like that motor has taken a beating!
Old Jan 26, 2007, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Go2fast
1&2.The idle problem is most likely from a vaccum leak!!! Either a line has busted or came off or your running a none recirculating BOV. The MAF sensor doesnt work well with a BOV to atmosphere.

3. The best clutch id go with is from road race motorsports. There are a few other clutchs like Spec and Works but havent heard a whole lot about them.

4.Are you running a recirculating BOV? It would help with the lag! 3500 doesnt sound to bad. I have a t25 and it spools around 2600.

5.As for the 5th, Ive never been to fond running extra injectors in the intake. What happens is the first couple of cylinders get all the extra fuel and the last cylinders get very little and run to lean. My advice it rip that out and either run a FMU or Adjust fuel pressure regulator, or larger injector and tune them with a piggyback.

Finally good luck!! Sounds like that motor has taken a beating!

i followed the hissing sound and i found a busted hose leading to the IM. it was the vacuum leak causing the bouncing idle. also, the turbo spools at high 2k rpm now. thanks! i think there's still a few more leaks i need to take care of. i have a loud of backfire...is that normal? i also found a hole in my exhaust piping...i dont really care right now since im gettin a new catback system. would jb weld work as a temporary fix?
Old Jan 26, 2007, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Great to hear you found the leak!! As for the backfire, First thing i would say is your running to rich. Mine backfires when its cooled and i rev it up. But it stops when its warmed up. Im still wanted to know what you have controlling the 5th injector. For the exhaust, i really dont think itll work! The exhaust gets really hot! Good luck!
Old Jan 27, 2007, 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

Great to hear you found the leak!! As for the backfire, First thing i would say is your running to rich. Mine backfires when its cooled and i rev it up. But it stops when its warmed up. Im still wanted to know what you have controlling the 5th injector. For the exhaust, i really dont think itll work! The exhaust gets really hot! Good luck!
the 5th injector i believe runs back to the piggy back ecu. then theres a hose (fuel i guess). one way T's out to the IM and the other way goes through the firewall (back to the fuel pump maybe?). the fuel pump is rather large im guessing...since i could hear it buzzing constantly. my bro told me its a walbro fuel pump...which i've heard of but dont really know much about. you brought up a good point about the 5th injector though....im really considering just running bigger injectors now. as for the exhaust, i'll try it anyway...it's worth a shot until i get the new catback system lol. hopefully that will take care of the CEL too since right now it's running custom straight piping w/ not cat.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

You need to find out which kind of piggyback your using. The hose thats T'd is most likely a vac line. No fuel goes to the IM or in the firewall. Our fuel lines turn into metal line in the back bottom right hand corner. As for the pump, Its a walbro. Its not that is big, it just makes alot of noice. The CEL is on b/c the rear O2 sensor has to high of flow arcoss it. When the cat is in the flow is restricted. Either buy the O2 sim from road race or go to the auto part store and purchased two spark plug buffers and connect them between the O2 and exhaust. There is a whole write up on this if you look for it.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

i ran the compression test earlier today. it read 170, 175, 170, 170. so that's pretty healthy. also the spark plugs werent as black as i thought they'd be. all i need now i guess is to straighten out some vacuum lines and patch up the exhaust leak temporarily until i get the new catback system....maybe a greddy evo2. new clutch is a must...but i'll get to that. thanks for the input!
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

There is plenty on the clutches. I only say that because we share the same clutch as the mirage and plenty of them are out there with many different brands.

Oh, and I have a Works Stage 1 on my car and love it but for a turbo application I'd suggest a Stage 2.

Fox
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Shingen
There is plenty on the clutches. I only say that because we share the same clutch as the mirage and plenty of them are out there with many different brands.

Oh, and I have a Works Stage 1 on my car and love it but for a turbo application I'd suggest a Stage 2.

Fox
my friend tells me i should go w/ act or exedy. i can vouch for the exedy b/c that's what i have on my teg and it's great. i dunno much about act's...cuz that's coming from a talon/eclipse/laser guy. but im most likely gonna get the 2600lbs stage2 clutch from roadrace motorsports.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

that sounds like a road race turbo kit, the piggyback is probably the Splitsecond AIC ( its probably somewhere in your passenger side floor, or in/behind glove box ), the T he is talking about is where the 5th injector is Td right before the fuel rail probably.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 09:43 AM

need some pics!!!!!
Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Silens
that sounds like a road race turbo kit, the piggyback is probably the Splitsecond AIC ( its probably somewhere in your passenger side floor, or in/behind glove box ), the T he is talking about is where the 5th injector is Td right before the fuel rail probably.
you got it!

and here are the pics. i just got it a couple weeks ago and i just started working on it. good thing this isn't honda-tech cuz i would get flamed for not being "JDM"

Old Jan 28, 2007, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

yeah, sounded familiar

As for clutch, i have the RRM stage 2 , had it for 9 or 10 months now, just looked at it in december when i was installing a lightweight flywheel and it was still in good shape, and i beat the crap out of it, im getting the same one if it ever goes out, or stage 3....

But like Shingen said, there are lots to pick from since we share tranny with the mirages, heh my flywheel is for a mirage

why do the lancer ones cost $200 more if they are the same....
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Silens
why do the lancer ones cost $200 more if they are the same....
Because some companies like to take advantage of their customers ignorance. It's just that simple.

Fox

Quick Reply: problems with boosted oz rally