Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Life after a T-28 Turbo....

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2003, 11:08 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Life after a T-28 Turbo....

Okie so you have a t-28 turbo from RRM....you love it off but eventually the day comes where you need to upgrade, either for more boost or more power.

What turbos are available and viable after the t-28? I heard you can go GT-28 next...is that true? What about bigger turbos? Will the fit the RRM Kit or will you need new piping.

Just trying to have a little foresight as I'm sure Boe and many other turbo Lancers will be asking this question soon. And I want to see what path I can take after the t-28 isn't satisfactory anymore.
Old Jun 22, 2003, 01:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually you should be on big 28 and instead of going for a different turbo just get yours up'd. Talk to Rob as there are many things you can do to the turbo to decrease spool time/lag and increase effiecency on the turbo you already have. Plus you're not even using the turbo to its full yet anyway. even at 9psi your still barely getting there. With bigger fuel pump/injectors you'll be able to go up to 16 where you'll see the turbo really used. It has some more but i'd stick with that as a max. You'll definately need to build the lower motor and get some ARP head/rod bolts for doing that though. Also the FMU will need to be upgraded as i believe it is only good for about 12psi. Talk with ROB and he'll give you some numbers if you serious. Besides building your motor you really are not far from being able to push the 300whp area. Just rememeber Trannies/drive shafts are not going to take that abuse for long. Stick to around 250whp/tq and you'll be good and fast as all hell. IF you think about it that is like 290hp/tq at the flyweel!!
Old Jun 22, 2003, 01:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ohh and don't forget the stand alone as your not going to be flashing the ecu for that kind of performance mods. Your going to need to know everything going on and have total control.
Old Jun 22, 2003, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

i agree with you there boe...HIGH MAINTAINANCE!!!
Old Jun 23, 2003, 05:48 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The maintenance itself may not be so bad, but getting the car to run properly (read: tuned correctly) will be a royal ***** almost guaranteed. I wouldn't worry about maxing out the T28 so quickly though. It may not be that big, but the amounts of money and work it'll take to reach its peak flow rate will be major deterrents (sp?)

Oh, and if you go standalone...gooooood luck. You're gonna need it. Another thing that'll be absolutely key will be a wideband O2 sensor. AEM just came out with their UEGO which should be just about the best option. I should be purchasing one shortly myself so I'll let you know.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Boeturbolancer
Actually you should be on big 28 and instead of going for a different turbo just get yours up'd. Talk to Rob as there are many things you can do to the turbo to decrease spool time/lag and increase effiecency on the turbo you already have. Plus you're not even using the turbo to its full yet anyway. even at 9psi your still barely getting there. With bigger fuel pump/injectors you'll be able to go up to 16 where you'll see the turbo really used. It has some more but i'd stick with that as a max. You'll definately need to build the lower motor and get some ARP head/rod bolts for doing that though. Also the FMU will need to be upgraded as i believe it is only good for about 12psi. Talk with ROB and he'll give you some numbers if you serious. Besides building your motor you really are not far from being able to push the 300whp area. Just rememeber Trannies/drive shafts are not going to take that abuse for long. Stick to around 250whp/tq and you'll be good and fast as all hell. IF you think about it that is like 290hp/tq at the flyweel!!
Even at 16 you have alot more to go on the big T28. That turbo loves to be around 19. When I first installed mine took it for a drive the stock BCS didnt know how to control the thing. It would like to spike around 19-20. I have min set to 15 now due to lack of fuel mods. Even at 15 the big 28 holds boost to redline unlike the t25 that ran out of steam and did nothing, plus its pushing alot more air at that psi than the 25 could. Lots of people runnig the big 28 with proper fuel mods are pulling mid 13's down to high 12s. Remeber this thing flows about as much as a 16.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 10:47 AM
In Timeout

Hmmm. I'm doing the T-25 with my RRM kit. Imma chip the *****, too. Is this bad?
Old Jul 17, 2003, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

What do you mean by chip, ECU upgrade or are you talking about clipping.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 10:59 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

RRM has turbo reflashes to go with their kits now. It'll be fine, Stew. The turbo just isn't going to produce a lot of boost before you max it out. The chances of you pushing your t25 to its limits before grenading your stock internals are slim though. You may come into heat soak problems running more than 6psi non-intercooled though. (I don't remember whether you were planning on getting an IC or not).
Old Jul 17, 2003, 11:04 AM
In Timeout

It's gonna be IC - whole kit is identical to their IC kit, but EC Mitsu is sponsoring me for the T-25 and install. The chip is the new RRM ECU reflash.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by HobieKopek
RRM has turbo reflashes to go with their kits now. It'll be fine, Stew. The turbo just isn't going to produce a lot of boost before you max it out. The chances of you pushing your t25 to its limits before grenading your stock internals are slim though. You may come into heat soak problems running more than 6psi non-intercooled though. (I don't remember whether you were planning on getting an IC or not).
The t25 can hold 15psi easy and a little more but 15 is the best to keep it around, its not really doing anything above that but blowin hot air. I think if you are just starting out you wont be pushing anything around that amount of boost.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 11:09 AM
In Timeout

I just like the BOV sound and a little punch. gas in the Bay Area is too expensive.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

BOV sound? HEHEHHEHE please don't ever post something like that on DSMtalk......
Old Jul 17, 2003, 11:19 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I'd pay to see the response to that.

Best bet (since you're sticking with the stock ECU) would be to run recirc. You're not going to get much of "poosh", but at least your car won't run funny and stall.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 11:26 AM
In Timeout

Wait, I said I am getting the RRM chip...BTW, I got an HKS SSQV, but Rob said it won't work with his system...

Quick Reply: Life after a T-28 Turbo....