Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

I am finally getting a turbo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2007, 09:31 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow I am finally getting a turbo

Well people it is finally happening. I am getting a turbo
I am now working with John at www.speedcorps.com, and in return i'm getting a full turbo kit

Also this will be a base model from which we are going to develop a turbo Kit to sell for the lancer.

These are the parts we have together so far:
Stock Evo 8 16G Turbo w/Evo 9 10.5 hot side
Stock Evo O2 Housing
Megan Tubular manifold w/4g94 flange
Stock Evo Intercooler
Stock Evo Piping
Stock Evo Downpipe
FPR
Stock Evo BOV
Forge Adjustable Wastegate actuator
pre-tapped oil pan

reference for building custom 16G kits
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...&highlight=16g

anything that isn't in that thread you think i should know? Or any other advice, feel free to voice your opinion. Remember i am automatic so things may be a little different, other than piping i dunno what would be. So let me know.

my current engine mods are the following:

V1 Piggyback
Underdrive Pulley
FPR
RMR Intake
Filled Front Motor Mount
NSC Engine Damper
Coolant Bypass
Testpipe
Boost/Vacuum gauge
Narrowband gauge

EDIT::: Update Information

Last edited by crypto; Aug 29, 2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

As far as the auto tranny goes. nothing different except for pipeing runs. Thats it really. Of course the mani will not work. you will have to get a 4g94 flange, cut the flange off the mani. move the runners and weld the new flange on. Its really a straight forward custom kit using the evo 16g. Also, You need to address the wastegate. its set much to high for a lancer. if you have a boost controller, your golden though. The narrowband gauge is useless. time for a wideband! Keep us posted on your build.

Im going to do this build sometime.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You are most likely going to have to fab up all your I/C piping.

Stock Eclipse turbo fuel pump isn't so good, would probably be enough, but most likely its just an old worn out part. I don't think its worth the risk, just invest in a Walbro 190lph.

Stock Evo injectors are in the 510-550cc range which will be very big for the amount of boost and power you will be able to run on a stock engine. They might also be out of the range for your piggyback. You might be better off with DSM 440's (again, used may be okay, but new would be better) or perhaps even smaller. The 3000GT VR-4 came with ~320s.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

a lot of guys use injectors out of a wrx. i do believe they are 440's and bolt right up.

IC pipeing will have to be fabbed. stock evo IC bolts right up after you remove crash bar. Possibly get evo IC pipeing with IC and be able to cut it/add peices to make it work. I wouldnt get an old fuel pump. Like GPT said. Get a new walbro. The evo DP will work as well. Thats a good buy. I think all you have to do is cut 12" off of it.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 01:55 PM
Former Vendor

so i can use that wastegate actuator without modifying it, as long i use a boost controller????

also does anyone know where i can get a cheap flange? the only ones i can find are RRM's, and they are like $80

one of my friends is a welder, so custom fabbing pipes shouldn't be to hard, i will probably just have to mess with the pipe that goes from the intercooler -> throttle body, cos the transmission is probably in the way, the rest should bolt up fine.
Also messing with the downpipe should be ok

i may just get some piping and redo my entire exhaust. downpipe -> muffler.
Cos right now i just got a stock exhaust + testpipe

Also i'm thinking of moving the battery to the trunk, and setting up my intake right where the battery currently sits. I may modify the RMR intake and reuse that. We shall see.

from looking in that thread i think i will need the following:

oil return line
wideband
flange
slim fan
fuel pump
injectors
BOV
boost controller
Intercooler

anything i'm missing, or don't need?

Last edited by crypto; Jul 4, 2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

im not to sure about the wastegate. Im planning on fabbing up a stock turbo II rx7 wastegate when I do mine. They are set at 5.5 psi stock. Then add boost controller later to up it. I am not sure if you have a boost controller from the start if you can lower the boost of the wastegate. Havnt really researched that all that much.

You may want to re-connect your coolant bypass. Not to sure on this though. also, slim fan I believe only has to replace the driver side. So it doesnt hit turbo. passenger side is fine. I got most of my info from the threads your reading. They are good.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 02:06 PM
Former Vendor

^yeh i've been reading too. There is still a lot i don't understand. Thankfully i won't be installing this myself. I got a friend who knows this stuff who is gonna help me.

I should be alright with my coolant bypass, i live in Florida, so i doubt the air is gonna freeze.

As far as the wastegate goes, i'm really not sure, so hopefully someone who knows this stuff well can help. I am planning on running like 6-7 PSI.

Also i'm gonna take my car to a shop to get tuned. I am aiming for 200hp minimum
Old Jul 4, 2007, 02:43 PM
Former Vendor

ok it has also been brought to my attention, that i may not be able to weld the flange onto the stock Evo manifold. Anyone know about this?
Old Jul 4, 2007, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

yeah. Stock evo manifold is cast. unless you get a cast flange. which would still be tough to weld. RRM probably sells a aluminum flange. Two like metals are easier to weld. I was planning on getting the aluminum Megan evo tubular manifold to use. It would be 100x easier to weld and has better gains.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crypto
ok it has also been brought to my attention, that i may not be able to weld the flange onto the stock Evo manifold. Anyone know about this?
I think its cast iron and i don't think you can get it welded to anther flange. Get an aftrmarket one and replace the flange to fit.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

fuel pump? fmu?
Old Jul 4, 2007, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lncrphish
fuel pump? fmu?
dont need a fmu since he allready has a piggy and plans to get a wideband. fmu is inferior to a piggy and wideband.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 03:10 PM
Former Vendor

I will see what I can do for some smaller injectors for you, fuel pump and I believe I may have a megan exhaust mani here for you also, among a bunch of other goodies. I will look into the waste gate actuator. I'm wondering if we should go with a DSM actuator. I got a few of those around here to.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

I see. very good.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 04:37 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Speed Corps
I will see what I can do for some smaller injectors for you, fuel pump and I believe I may have a megan exhaust mani here for you also, among a bunch of other goodies. I will look into the waste gate actuator. I'm wondering if we should go with a DSM actuator. I got a few of those around here to.
smaller injectors and fuel pump would be cool. I saw the megan manifold on your site. it looks like it will work. I will just cut the flange on it, and weld the runners to the new flange.

as far as the wategate actuator goes, i recall someone mentioning a DSM one would work, i'm not 100% sure though. hopefully someone else can confirm this.

Quick Reply: I am finally getting a turbo