Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

RRM Turbo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2003, 11:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ROCK, you never seem to stop cracking me up.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 04:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Boe I have a question, to my understanding you blew your motor twice off a 55 shot of nos.. isn't 5-6psi boost of turbo just as bad on the motor.. can you explain this for me? thx boe your car rox :]
Old Jul 9, 2003, 11:33 AM
EvoM Guru

NOS more violent combustion than regular air/fuel mixture. Also there are timing issues. Since boost and feul mix equally and the ecu's stock timing/maps allow for timing corrections you can boost 6psi safely all day as there is no detonation. NOS injects in without added pressure for MAP sensor to see. Also when it enters it has a cooling effect.(which shock the hot piston) Cold shocking hot parts, especially cast will cause breaks! Also when it ignites the timing is different than under boost as stock ecu didn't see change in inlet air pressures thus it didn't retard timing to compensate. Thus since nos is more volitile it starts to ignite before spark plug fires. We are talking micro-seconds. Then the spark plug fires... now you have two explosions of unequal force acting upon the piston. This is detonation which over a little time just grenades the stock piston. Detonation will even grenade forged pistons it just takes longer. Detonation is very bad. Since turbo kit works with stock ecu sensors and ecu actually sees what is happening timing is adjusted correctly for ignition of fuel/air. There is no detonation thus you are safe. I blew my motor on Zex 55 dry shot. I've seen some guys getting away with running wet shots... that is NOS mixed w/fuel then injected into cylinder! Seems the mixture helps curve the NOS's volitility enough to prevent detonation. It is still not something i recommend but this should give you good explanation!
Old Jul 9, 2003, 09:45 PM

hey boe thanks for the quick reply.. i plan to pick up a RRM turbo kit by the end of august.. do they usually have them in stock? OOOO 1 question for rock.. do you guys plan on making a turbo manifold instead of the up and down pipe just curious

Last edited by LancerCALI88; Jul 9, 2003 at 09:56 PM.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 10:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No manifold cause we are seeking CARB approval on KITS. Yes I said CARB APPROVAL! Now my master plan is revealed!

ROAD/RACE
http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/
Old Jul 9, 2003, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

i think he wants to make me a manifold though just cause he likes me (ok ok so hes not gonna make me anything but it sure be nice!) HINT HINT!

come one make something for a sick man rob!
Old Jul 9, 2003, 10:24 PM
Former Sponsor

JOE, "SUCK MY ..............."

ROAD/RACE
Old Jul 9, 2003, 10:32 PM

thx for the clear up rock I plan to pick up a kit by the end of next month :] RRM rox my pants!
Old Jul 9, 2003, 11:22 PM
EvoM Guru

ROCK
Liquid
LancerCA your welcome and enjoy the boost!
Old Jul 10, 2003, 12:44 AM
Evolving Member

carb legal eh? that's ****in awesome, so does that mean all the past turbo buyers will be carb legal as well?
Old Jul 10, 2003, 06:22 AM
Former Sponsor

We will see how that works.

ROAD/RACE
Old Jul 10, 2003, 09:13 PM

Rock, you are the man. I've been waiting so long to hear you say you were gonna pursue that. Hopefully everything works out because if it does you've got one more turbo kit sold.
Old Jul 10, 2003, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Well since it is revealed. yes if the kit is not altered all previous kits are thus certified and are CARB certified. If kits must be changed to meet certification then all previous kits are not available unless those modifications are met.

Hope that clears things up.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Man I must have been tired last night that makes no sense whatsoever:

If you purchased a kit from RRM and if the kit (as it currently stands) passes CARB certification testing they your kit will be smog certified. If you kit differs from the one tested they your kit will not be smog certified. To make yours smog legal you must make it EXACTLY like the one test, with the exception of things like BOV and pipping. Any part added to the system or changed from the system must be sepperatly Smog Certified.

That seems to make better sense to me. Sorry for my ramblings.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 09:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Made sense either way

Quick Reply: RRM Turbo