Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

kungfugirl's super-merged "problems with my turbo kit" thread extravaganza!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2007, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when i first started my car up smoke was coming out but that was because of my oily hands.

use your hand to bend the dipstick. its a pain in the ***. if not get a torch and heat it up
Old Oct 23, 2007, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
probably the coolant...coolant it super flamable! and if it was arodun the headers , it 's probably why it was on fire!
Old Oct 23, 2007, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ doubt it. i had a small coolant spill.

you need spark, air, fuel for fire.

i doubt anything sparked.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

that sucks man, thought you were going to say you forgot where you parked it in the southern CALI woods! hopefully you get everything back up and running
Old Oct 23, 2007, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Yea that sucks. You are boosting before you even tuned the car?
Old Oct 23, 2007, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

brake fluid by chance?
Old Oct 23, 2007, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Saotome9
u sir are a ricer!
How is that called for?
Anyways, to answer the question, could it be a fuel leak? A guy here had his entire car destroyed because of a faulty fuel line (at least that's his story) that burst and sprayed fuel all over his engine after he installed a supercharger.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lancer2show

for coolant to ignite into flames only requires heat. I know this for a fact! I used to work at a landrover dealership, and we had to go and pick up a Discovery off one of the customers because the guy said it overheats sometimes. So on the drive back to the dealership, the car started to overheat, then as we pulled over to get it towed, it started smoking white smoke and i could smell coolant and then a few seconds later the smoke turned gray and huge cloud of smoke came from the enigne bay. Next thing we knew the car was on fire!!

Turns out one of the rad hoses had a small leak, which eventually blew on our drive back and spilt coolant all over the place and caused a fire. It had touched and burned on the exhaust manifold.

Now i dont know if that small coolant leak in this case caused the flames, but it very possible!
Old Oct 23, 2007, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by c900t16
for coolant to ignite into flames only requires heat. I know this for a fact! I used to work at a landrover dealership, and we had to go and pick up a Discovery off one of the customers because the guy said it overheats sometimes. So on the drive back to the dealership, the car started to overheat, then as we pulled over to get it towed, it started smoking white smoke and i could smell coolant and then a few seconds later the smoke turned gray and huge cloud of smoke came from the enigne bay. Next thing we knew the car was on fire!!

Turns out one of the rad hoses had a small leak, which eventually blew on our drive back and spilt coolant all over the place and caused a fire. It had touched and burned on the exhaust manifold.

Now i dont know if that small coolant leak in this case caused the flames, but it very possible!
we had a coolant leak in my friends dsm and it was hitting the manifold. we drove it from san diego to tucson. something else might of occurred for it to cause fire. i doubt if small drops leaked from the rad hose on top of the manifold would cause any fire, but hey everyone has their experiences.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

What?

Originally Posted by lancer2show

how about fuel, heat, & O2

Hell yes antfreeze will burn.

SECTION IV - Fire and Explosion Hazard Data
Flash Point............................. 220
Flash Point Method...................... TOC
Lower Explosion Limit................... ND
Upper Explosion Limit................... ND
Extinguishing Media..................... [LARGE] USE ALCOHOL TYPE OR ALL PURPOSE FOAM. [SMALL] USE WATER SPRAY, CARBON DIOXIDE OR DRY CHEMICAL.
Special Fire Fighting Procedures........ FIREFIGHTERS SHOULD WEAR POSITIVE PRESSURE SCBA AND FULL PROTECTIVE CLOTHING FOR FIRES IN AREAS WHENE CHEMICALS ARE USED OR STORED. COOL EXPOSED CONTAINERS WITH WATER SPRAY OR FOG. BURNING LIQUID MAY FLOAT ON WATER.
Unusual Fire/Explosion Hazards.......... A SOLID STREAM OF WATER OR FOAM DIRECTED INTO HOT, BURNING LIQUID CAN CAUSE FROTHING. HEAR FROM FIRE MAY GENERATE FLAMMABLE VAPOR. FINE SPRAYS OR MISTS MAY BE COMBUSTIBLE AT TEMPERATURES BELOW THE NORMAL FLASH POINT.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

I is not fuel. I picked up a new oil return gasket for a t25, I had ordered one from atpturbo.com, but the douchbags sent me a gt25 one and it was too small. LIKE A NEWB I USED IT ANYWAYS. and i think the things is putting oil on the header as it has a slick on the 3rd runner. The car pullllls !!!! omfg when i was on fire driving around the neighborhood.

Yes, i am a ricer
Old Oct 23, 2007, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Also, I did have a coolant leak in the area. If this is flamable, it could be the culprate. I forgot to push the radiator hose clamp back up, and coolant got everywhere, but i see a specific slick on my header, below the ruturn line, though there are no signs of an actual oil leak from my oil drain...

sorry for run ons, but i am trying to figure this out so i can go boost around.

To mirage 2.0, I am not tuned. I have a wideband to minitor, which is reading 11.2 at wot. I am using a 12-1 vortech fmu and a walbro 255.

BTW the wastegate sounds like a friggin oozie. lmao.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

I hope it is the spilled coolant, that would be nice, cuz i DONT want to remove the return line
Old Oct 23, 2007, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

That just sounds like a messed up fitting and you'd need a new one. But I got confused on the block part. We're talking about the feed right, that screws into the hole over the oil filter right?
Old Oct 23, 2007, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Alright guys, so what happened first of all is i used a normal NPT fitting instead on -AN fitting.

I ended up getting a brand new hose and and a -4an to 1/4 inch fitting, slapped her on and she primed like a charm.

Quick Reply: kungfugirl's super-merged "problems with my turbo kit" thread extravaganza!