Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

RRM Hacker turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2003, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb RRM Hacker turbo kit

I am basically wondering if anyone has installed this kit on their car? I know this kit doesnt come with an exhaust manifold, intercooler. what else would i need to hook up this kit, does anyone know if a DSM manifold would bolt up to the block/turbo???
Old Jul 12, 2003, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Im not sure about the DSM manifold.. But thats why it doesnt come wit an exhaust manifold/header is because RRM will weld the turbo onto your header... Thats what i heard....
Old Jul 12, 2003, 07:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbo is not welded to header at all... DSM header will not directly bolt a turbo to it... you either need a different header or the up and down pipes that RRM has. Those you get in the hacker kit. Basically the hacker kit is all your turbo setup. It's everything you need to put a turbo on your car... just not everything to boost properly. But at least you can get turbo on your car with stock header and expansion pipe. There are many things you need to get hacker kit to work properly... so many details that you might go crazy finding them all... but if you patient and know what it takes to boost safely then this kit may be for you. If you don't know then you should buy the complete kit! As i said you don't need a header or intercooler to boost safely. You just need to know what your doing when installing turbo and completing kit. Hope this helps
Old Jul 13, 2003, 01:51 AM

You dont use headers, they change to the exhaust manifold dont you? So the hacker kit is everything needed to make a NON-Intercooled turbo? I ont get it, thn why is the other non intercooled kit so much money?
Old Jul 13, 2003, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Uhh.. Isnt the exhaust manifold and header just one thing?..... So where do you stick the turbo if you wanna use your stock headers or exhaust manifold?... Dont you weld it on it? or on the Downpipe..?
Old Jul 13, 2003, 12:10 PM
EvoM Guru

k... this is getting out of hand a little. Hacker tweeker kit DOES NOT give you everything for non intercooled setup... there are fuel mods and air piping not supplied. Also no BOV! This kit just gets you able to mount a turbo to your car. The "up pipe" that comes with kit mounts to your stock exhaust and allows turbo to mount to its end near top of header. Then the "down pipe" takes the exhaust from the turbo back into the stock expansion joint. There is no welding of anything necessarry this is a completely bolt on setup. The complete non intercooled kit gives you all the fuel mods/intake pipes/rubber boots/clamps/hoses you need to run a turbo safely. Its the fine details that make the price what it is and those details are where people who "think" they can get them right blow their motors. This kit was meant for those with some resources for turbo applications or the knowledge of everything needed to make it run right. Again there is no welding... you could use the stock header or RRM's as the piping supplied with hacker kit connects to both! Hope this clears up some misconceptions.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 02:52 PM

New T-28 turbo
heat wrapped up pipe and down pipe
TIAL 35mm external wastegate
oil supply(braided steel) and return line
all fittings
heat sleeve
wastegate dump tube
gaskets, and hardware.

This seems tome like it comes with all the fittings. i don't see what you mean it doesnt come with all those other things. Seems like it has everything except the Piping and the BOV. So im really confused now. BLAH
Old Jul 13, 2003, 04:20 PM
EvoM Guru

No fuel upgrades which you need to run boost...example fmu! Then when you get pipes made how you going to connect them... you'll need boost or hose! Also many many clamps of various sizes to connect piping. Then there is the BOV and vacuum hose/T's for connecting that. Also if your going to try and be intercooled you'll need to clock/redirect the turbo outlet or get some serious pipe work done to allow it to fit. Non-intercooled does not need this but you can start to see where the details are. I don't want to confuse you but there is a lot more to making a turbo operational/dependable than what is in the hacker tweaker kit. This kit is for experienced people only as they will know what and what not to do. All in all by your ??'s i can see this kit will not be in your best intersests... i'm just trying to tell you how much is missing from this setup so that you don't hurt your motor or waste money for an incomplete setup. If you do have sources to help you though this could be a possible kit for you providing they know what to do. It's up to you to decide who you trust and if it is worth the cost should you damage your motor. The extra G for complete kit(powdercoated pipes/boots/etc.) is not a bad idea. I strongly recommend the complete kit vice the hacker even to experienced people as it is exactly, without a doubt, what you need to start boosting safely. From there you can learn and develope the kit anyway you see fit. I know i have. It gives you a great starting platform without the worry of R&D mistakes.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 06:57 PM

aight, i see what you are saying. Thanks dude