Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Sandwich Adapter for turbo feed....

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2008, 02:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Sandwich Adapter for turbo feed....

Searched and searched on several forums and everyone has different opinions on what works best for a turbo feed/return... So everyone seems to agree that the inlet feed for the turbo should be pressurized. And that the return side should not be pressurized. so i got to thinking... wouldn't an ideal location be one in which oil is constantly pushed thru the feed and pulled out the return? forcing the turbine to get constant oil circulation??

So i was thinking and our oil filter has that exact situation. Refering to the attached picture which has a dedicated inlet/outlet, couldn't I use this filter relocation kit and just connect the turbo feed/return in one of the lines? Connecting the feed/return inline would create a situation in which one side gets positive pressure and the other side sees negative correct? I dunno if anyone thought of doing this before but I just wanted to throw the idea out there....... So if anyone can chime in on this theory please I woul really appreciate it. Thanks
Attached Images  
Old May 26, 2008, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have my feed line connected to the adapter plate. works fine.
Old May 26, 2008, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sykou
Searched and searched on several forums and everyone has different opinions on what works best for a turbo feed/return... So everyone seems to agree that the inlet feed for the turbo should be pressurized. And that the return side should not be pressurized. so i got to thinking... wouldn't an ideal location be one in which oil is constantly pushed thru the feed and pulled out the return? forcing the turbine to get constant oil circulation??

So i was thinking and our oil filter has that exact situation. Refering to the attached picture which has a dedicated inlet/outlet, couldn't I use this filter relocation kit and just connect the turbo feed/return in one of the lines? Connecting the feed/return inline would create a situation in which one side gets positive pressure and the other side sees negative correct? I dunno if anyone thought of doing this before but I just wanted to throw the idea out there....... So if anyone can chime in on this theory please I woul really appreciate it. Thanks
Actually, all ports on that sandwich adapter are for feed. And nowhere will you see oil being "pulled" out for the return line. The return line allows the turbo to drain oil back into the oil pan. And if you searched, you would've found that we are already using the best solution for oil feed and oil return...
Old May 26, 2008, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

Im saying that you only use one of the lines. Adapter "out">>>"turbo in">>>turbo out">>>Relocated oil filter IN. Then Relocated oil filter OUT>>>Adapter "IN"... So the turbo feed/ return is actually spliced into only one of the lines. Thus only one side will see positive pressure..
Old May 27, 2008, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sykou
Im saying that you only use one of the lines. Adapter "out">>>"turbo in">>>turbo out">>>Relocated oil filter IN. Then Relocated oil filter OUT>>>Adapter "IN"... So the turbo feed/ return is actually spliced into only one of the lines. Thus only one side will see positive pressure..
I think you should still have your oil return go into your oil pan. Since all that really matters is that your oil sump must be constantly submerged to maintain constant oil pressure, I would have the return line go right into the pan. There is no need whatsoever to have it any other way.
Old May 27, 2008, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

ok did a massive amount of searching and found out you dont want any positive pressure on the housing for the turbo... thus running it to the oil pan so the return is only gravity fed. thanks everyone
Old Jul 31, 2008, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

I plan on using my sandwich adapter for my turbo as well so this is good news
Old Jul 31, 2008, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^I thought the survey said that it is best just to return to the oil pan?
Old Aug 3, 2008, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

^^^Well the feed from the sandwich adapter to the turbo, the return line back to the silver part of the pan...
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

That's the way it's been done since people started turboing the lancers. Theres already a port above the oil filter. Then gravity pulls it down into the oil pan (the upper part). The only reason you wouldn't do this is if you used a remote mount turbo, where the turbo would be inline with the exhaust, thus being lower than the oil pan, calling for some sort of pump to pull the oil from the turbo through the line and upwards back into the oil supply. STS systems use a pump for this.