Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

VERY lean AFRs up top help please!!....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2008, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since you are using a fmu, the fuel pressure will increase with boost unlike if you just had a normal fpr that remains constant which you could see fuel pressure with the car just idling.

If you can dump the fmu and just tune the injectors, i would go that route personally. Just keep the a/f between 11.5 and 12:1 and you will be fine. Also, you may want to put back in a normal head gasket to bring the c/r back up since it will give you more power throughout the rpms since you arent out there running 20+ psi
Old Sep 27, 2008, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sykou
i figured i needed it to raise the fuel pressure in the high rpms??? Am I barking up the wrong tree here?
I read in "theshortbus " build thread the he had trouble with the 440cc injectors with the fmu. Since it is boost sensitive wouldn't it make you run very rich under boost?
Old Sep 27, 2008, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cincy
Since you are using a fmu, the fuel pressure will increase with boost unlike if you just had a normal fpr that remains constant which you could see fuel pressure with the car just idling.

If you can dump the fmu and just tune the injectors, i would go that route personally. Just keep the a/f between 11.5 and 12:1 and you will be fine. Also, you may want to put back in a normal head gasket to bring the c/r back up since it will give you more power throughout the rpms since you arent out there running 20+ psi

well it is a daily driver so i wanted to be on the safe side with the lower compression ratio, even if it meant a loss in power...

as for getting rid of the fmu, you think i'll get enough fuel pressure to comp with the injectors with just the walbro and the ecu???
Old Sep 27, 2008, 10:34 AM

Pretty agree. You are chasing fuel cause of the FMU. Either run less boost with FMU or run 550cc injectors and no FMU. Then tune from there.

ROAD/RACE
Old Sep 27, 2008, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

^ isn't the problem with running a fmu, an overly rich condition?? would the fmu make her run lean also?
Old Sep 27, 2008, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

You cant control the fmu as well as leaving the fp constant and tuning the injectors. Plus 550cc is way overkill for what you are running. People with vw/audi's are making 325+ with 440cc injectors @3bar (45psi) fp. If you ever need more, you can increase base fp to 3.5-4bar (440@4bar ~= 550cc@3bar)
Old Sep 27, 2008, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

okay so i rescaled the injectors and still have the same lean condition... so im gonna remove the fmu and try see where it will get me. i jus dont get how the same fuel pressure(stock) will be enough pressure to feed gthe 440s???
Old Sep 27, 2008, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

its not the fuel pressure that feeds the injectors, thats the pumps job. Changing the fp will change the rating of the injectors as i stated above.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

the specs of 440cc injectors mean thats what they flow at ~45psi. but as far as your lean condition idk. i have stock injectors with a 12:1 fmu and its kinda exhibiting the same problem... it will reach 12.5 afr at about 7.5 to 8 psi of boost. but i have a stock engine with no airflow mods so it will overboost after about 5000rpm to 9-11 psi and cause it to lean out too much(13-13.5).
Old Sep 27, 2008, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

^ you need better boost control. What are you using?
Old Sep 27, 2008, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

its not the fuel pressure that feeds the injectors, thats the pumps job. Changing the fp will change the rating of the injectors as i stated above.

oh ok. kinda had a brain fart there. fpr regulates fuel pressure seen at the rail. im gonna just run the stock fpr and see how it changes the afr then.... i should be okay as long as i dont boost too much right? cuz wont i be even leaner without the fmu?
Old Sep 27, 2008, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

I havent used the ecuflash. When i had my lancer it was basically rrm piggy or a fmu and i used the fmu. How does it let you control fuel, by rpms or just overall adjustments?
Old Sep 27, 2008, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

^ you need better boost control. What are you using?
internal actuator with 8 psi spring.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

can control fuel by injector scaling, latency, and also rpm vs. load tables...
Old Sep 27, 2008, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

oh yeah and i got a hallman mbc to control boost.....

Quick Reply: VERY lean AFRs up top help please!!....