Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

VERY lean AFRs up top help please!!....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry VERY lean AFRs up top help please!!....

So first off my mods...
- 59mm throttle body
- 4g93 intake manifold(ported and polished)
- Ported intake and exhaust ports(head)
- Upgraded Valve springs
- Stage 2 Cam
- Decompression head gasket
- 9.0:1 compression pistons
- K1 connecting rods
- ARP headstuds, conrod bolts, main studs
- Wrx 440cc injectors
- Bored fuel rail
- 12:1 FMU
- Walbro 255
- RRM headers
- RPW 2.5" downpipe
- 16g turbo (intercooled) 10 psi currently

And now down to the problem. I started off tuning by adjusting the fuel trims at idle. lowered the "injector scaling" in ECUflash to reach a nice idle. Then i advanced timing in the low rpm/load areas and richened out the higher load areas. I did WOT pulls run after run and I finally got to a point where i have all the fuel cells in the high load/rpm areas completely maxed out at 7.4... I have at most 3 counts of knock at 4000rpm reaching 100% load at the highest point. I first had a AFR of about 13ish so i rerouted the vacuum line for the FMU, used a dedicated line instead, and then got an afr of about 11.7ish... I shouldn't be running this lean with a 255lph pump right?
I do not know my fuel pressure as i do not have a gauge for it...

Anyone know what the problem could be? I have my injectors scaled to 321 by the way. Should I scale them larger and then try adjusting the latency? I don't know how to go about adjusting the latency so how would i do this?
Hope some of the turbo'd guys on here can help me out....
Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sykou
So first off my mods...
- 59mm throttle body
- 4g93 intake manifold(ported and polished)
- Ported intake and exhaust ports(head)
- Upgraded Valve springs
- Stage 2 Cam
- Decompression head gasket
- 9.0:1 compression pistons
- K1 connecting rods
- ARP headstuds, conrod bolts, main studs
- Wrx 440cc injectors
- Bored fuel rail
- 12:1 FMU
- Walbro 255
- RRM headers
- RPW 2.5" downpipe
- 16g turbo (intercooled) 10 psi currently

And now down to the problem. I started off tuning by adjusting the fuel trims at idle. lowered the "injector scaling" in ECUflash to reach a nice idle. Then i advanced timing in the low rpm/load areas and richened out the higher load areas. I did WOT pulls run after run and I finally got to a point where i have all the fuel cells in the high load/rpm areas completely maxed out at 7.4... I have at most 3 counts of knock at 4000rpm reaching 100% load at the highest point. I first had a AFR of about 13ish so i rerouted the vacuum line for the FMU, used a dedicated line instead, and then got an afr of about 11.7ish... I shouldn't be running this lean with a 255lph pump right?
I do not know my fuel pressure as i do not have a gauge for it...

Anyone know what the problem could be? I have my injectors scaled to 321 by the way. Should I scale them larger and then try adjusting the latency? I don't know how to go about adjusting the latency so how would i do this?
Hope some of the turbo'd guys on here can help me out....
Just curious about something.... Our cars run 9:1 compression stock, did you just replace the pistons with forged ones? It seems with all your mods and running 10psi, I would say you need to up your gasoline octane, its getting to hot in the combustion chamber, and a higher octane runs cooler, that may be why its detonating... give it a shot with some octane booster, it might help the detonation problem anyways. Otherwise I'm not sure, 11.7 really isn't that bad, at least thats what i have been told. I use RRM's piggy to tune, so I can't help you there either, but you are pumping a lot of air into your motor with those mods, you may need to scale your injectors a little larger. Another question.... could you get your car to idle good with those 440's? I think I may need to go bigger with mine, just curious if you got it to idle well. Oh, and are you vented to atmosphere? Just curious, I do and was wondering if anyone is set up the same. I would definetly up the octane, at least for the time being so you don't pop a piston, that would really suck! lol

Last edited by BlackOperative; Sep 26, 2008 at 12:35 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:53 AM
Evolved Member

stock runs 9.5 Also i am using a decompression gasket so i am at around 8.8:1 or so. I want to up the boost some more and it is a daily driver so i wanna run about 10.5 afr(nice and safe). I can get rid of the knock by decreasing timing but i need to solve my lack of fuel issue first so i can up the boost a bit....
Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Why are you using the fmu now with the bigger injectors?
Old Sep 26, 2008, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Set your injector scaling to around 396. 321 is way too low for 440cc injectors. Also, if you're gonna start raising your boost those 440cc's won't cut it. They should be good to around 250whp or so before they get out of their IDC. Just FYI.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lncrphish
Why are you using the fmu now with the bigger injectors?
i figured i needed it to raise the fuel pressure in the high rpms??? Am I barking up the wrong tree here?
Old Sep 26, 2008, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by senate6268
Set your injector scaling to around 396. 321 is way too low for 440cc injectors. Also, if you're gonna start raising your boost those 440cc's won't cut it. They should be good to around 250whp or so before they get out of their IDC. Just FYI.
ok. so set injector scaling to 396. So i should use the latencies to adjust the fuel trims at idle right?
Old Sep 26, 2008, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlackOperative
Just curious about something.... Our cars run 9:1 compression stock, did you just replace the pistons with forged ones? It seems with all your mods and running 10psi, I would say you need to up your gasoline octane, its getting to hot in the combustion chamber, and a higher octane runs cooler, that may be why its detonating... give it a shot with some octane booster, it might help the detonation problem anyways. Otherwise I'm not sure, 11.7 really isn't that bad, at least thats what i have been told. I use RRM's piggy to tune, so I can't help you there either, but you are pumping a lot of air into your motor with those mods, you may need to scale your injectors a little larger. Another question.... could you get your car to idle good with those 440's? I think I may need to go bigger with mine, just curious if you got it to idle well. Oh, and are you vented to atmosphere? Just curious, I do and was wondering if anyone is set up the same. I would definetly up the octane, at least for the time being so you don't pop a piston, that would really suck! lol
Will try scaling the injectors larger this weekend. As for the idle, its pretty dam good considering i got a stage 2 cam. A trick i learned from the evo guys is to advance timing in the lower rpm/load area where it idles at and also in the low load/rpm area on slight throttle. Little bumpy as is to be expected but definately drivable.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

stock runs 9.5 Also i am using a decompression gasket so i am at around 8.8:1 or so. I want to up the boost some more and it is a daily driver so i wanna run about 10.5 afr(nice and safe). I can get rid of the knock by decreasing timing but i need to solve my lack of fuel issue first so i can up the boost a bit....
Really? thats interesting, I think my '06 is different, in the owners manual it states 9:1... Oh I didnt know you could tune your timing with that, I cant with mine i dont beleive. Hope you get it to work
Old Sep 26, 2008, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

11.7:1 is not lean. 12.5:1 is the leanest you should go with a FI setup. Anywhere around 11.5:1 would be a rather concervative in terms of tuning. Keep it there. Plus with a built engine and tunabilty, dont know why you dont start pushing that turbo more since you have plenty injector for 300whp
Old Sep 26, 2008, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Will try scaling the injectors larger this weekend. As for the idle, its pretty dam good considering i got a stage 2 cam. A trick i learned from the evo guys is to advance timing in the lower rpm/load area where it idles at and also in the low load/rpm area on slight throttle. Little bumpy as is to be expected but definately drivable.

OH, OK. Well, come to think of it I have the Piggy with the vacuum line, maybe I can adjust timing..... Well thanks for the tip, once i get my new fuel pump i will play around with the timing and get it to idle right, thanks bro

OH HEY!!!! Yo I just thought of something. That one dude up there said you may need bigger injectors if you plan on going bigger with boost...... I have some that will work for the lancer, 460cc, I had them on mine but they were too big for my minimal amount of mods i did... If you need bigger ones maybe we could work something out, I need bigger than stock ones but my 460cc's are too big. Let me know, PM me or something.

Last edited by BlackOperative; Sep 26, 2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

460cc is only going to be good for another like 10whp, not really worth the change
Old Sep 26, 2008, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cincy
460cc is only going to be good for another like 10whp, not really worth the change
Well thats what I was thinking.... its only 20cc's.... but man even with them turned ALL THE WAY DOWN my car would not idle. I'm not sure of all the features yet on my piggy, maybe I should throw them back in and give it another shot, IDK. I was hoping it was only my fuel pump why im running EXTREMELY lean at WOT, but maybe I need to throw those bigger injectors in.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

You are either running pig rich at idle or the spray pattern is way off. If you cant seem to get them in check, i would opt for a new set of proven injectors like the wrx's
Old Sep 26, 2008, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

hmmm..... 12.5 afr huh??? Oh and i wanna turn up the boost but im afraid cuz i cant get the AFRs to richen up beforehand. gonna hook up a fpr i have laying around and see what the fuel pressure is up at higher rpms..... You think i could put her in neutral and rev her up WOT to redline and just watch the fuel pressure gauge i the engine or would i have to do a loaded pull on the road to see the pressure increasing???

Quick Reply: VERY lean AFRs up top help please!!....