Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

White Smoke only on WOT...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would wait to see if its the head gasket. You say no overheating issues so it can't be the head gasket. If it is the gasket..someone didn't install it correctly.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 01:35 AM
Evolved Member

uhhh... i installed it so Im pretty sure I did it right??? Kinda hard to install it wrong right?
Old Dec 5, 2008, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Well, it depends. Wrong installations can be:

Head/block not clean. Its not smooth or flat. Wrong surface finish. Wrong sequence. Using a sealer when you don't need a sealer. Tq specs. Using damaged or dirty bolts. and etc..
Old Dec 5, 2008, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

If you have a blown headgasket, you would either have coolant in they cyl's and/or coolant in the oil or vise versa. Pull the plugs and drain the oil before moving on. Also double check about the restrictor since it still sounds like you are blowing fluid past the seal under boost.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cincy
If you have a blown headgasket, you would either have coolant in they cyl's and/or coolant in the oil or vise versa. Pull the plugs and drain the oil before moving on. Also double check about the restrictor since it still sounds like you are blowing fluid past the seal under boost.
ya ^^ do what he said.. cuz its really only 2 things it could be..(white smoke is coolant)so... coolant getting into the exhaust, or a cyl.. (headgasket, or bad seal on turbo)

so i guess that means your gunna have to rip it all apart again.. and inspect everything, and put it all back together right..
Old Dec 5, 2008, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

shouldnt be any reason to tear it down unless he finds any issues
Old Dec 6, 2008, 03:01 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone have any ideas on how to check if your return line is backing up, this is besides smoke coming out the exhaust...
Old Dec 6, 2008, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sykou
Anyone have any ideas on how to check if your return line is backing up, this is besides smoke coming out the exhaust...
Where do you have the oil pan tapped for the return line? Also, what grade and viscosity of oil are you using?
Old Dec 6, 2008, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

got it tapped the same place in kungfugirls thread. upper half of the upper oil pan... IM using amsioil 10w30 now... I was thinking i might try a 10w40 just to be a little on the safer side... Well i did a few other pulls and the white smoke only comes out after i let off the gad after a wot full boost pull... I would pound it in second and third(no smoke yet), then when i shift to fifth and let off the gas and coast, white smoke comes out for a bit then it goes away. I can push the gas again with no smoke after that.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

oh and my compression test came up 150 even across all cylinders. Number one was a little low the first time i did it, came up 135. but the second time i did it i made sure i had everything tight and it came up to 150... So i don't think i have a blown gasket after all huh... The small 16gs have a smaller hole in the oil inlet of the chra. About the diameter of a lollipop stick... I believe this is the built in oil restricter right cuz i know on other turbos there is nothing in there.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Check for oil blowby in the turbo to intercooler piping. I agree with cincy in that you may be blowing oil past your seals in boost. How high is your oil pressure getting when your WOT in the upper RPMs?
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

No blowby but i was doing some reading about pcv valves and such and i found out that one vent is to the pcv valve and the other is to release the pressure. Thing is I have two pcv valves on my setup. One on the original location and another i installed on the side vent that points to the battery. I noticed that I had oil seeping out of my oil cap and I think its because Im pressurizing the crankcase and blowing oil past the valve guides. Im gonna take the second pcv valve off tomorrow and run a breather filter on it... we'll see what happens!!
Old Dec 8, 2008, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

K so i rerouted my pcv valve setup and changed my plugs, regapped to .030 and the idle is much better now. I can.t say for sure if my headgasket is blown but it could have been cuz h was pressurizing the crankcase right?
Old Jan 1, 2009, 02:19 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry if I seem like a smartass, not doing it on purpose..... White smoke is coolant, blue is oil, black is running rich. There is a very small chance that your headgasket is blown. On a turboed car if the head gasket blows it was because of the boost, and it will be BLOWN if it has popped. The only other place where the water gets seperated by a seal is the hot side bearing of the turbo where it is cooled by water.... most likely it would be a leaking seal. Another thing that could have happened is a cracked head. Only under boost it makes white smoke you said, the pressure could be forcing coolant into the combustion chamber. I wouldnt use the stock head gasket, my car only had about 1200 turboed miles on it when mine blew, and i was only runnin 7psi.... and the car had 20,000 on it. A decompression will always hold up better than the stock one, because it was designed to hold boost. If the head gasket was really blown, your car would hardley run. If it was a new turbo, i would maybe check the water return for restriction, something thats causing more pressure than usual to build up and force it into places its not supposed to be. What you should do to test this is simply disconnect your coolant lines from the turbo and either plug them or connect them to each other. let the car idle for a bit then take it for a drive and do some WOT tests.... no smoke, its the turbo. Smoke, its either the head gasket or the head. Just be sure to let the car idle a couple minutes after doing this to allow the turbo bearings to cool down. Like I said, its unlikey a LEAKING head gasket because if water can get into the combustion chamber, chamber gases can get to the water..... which one has higher pressure...... of course the combustion chamber...... so your coolant would be really dumping into your over flow, and you mentioned it isnt over heating. I'm not saying it CANT be a head gasket, its just unlikey givin your senario. If you have the head off for inspection, take it to a shop to get it pressure tested and see if there are any cracks. Hope this helps you out bud, later....
Old Jan 1, 2009, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlackOperative
A decompression will always hold up better than the stock one, because it was designed to hold boost.
FALSE. The decomp gasket from RPW is a composite style gasket and is not able to withstand more than 18psi, where as the stock Mitsu gasket will withstand much more than 18psi. Both of these situations are also only possible with the use of properly installed ARP head studs. Even someone running a mere 7-10psi should be utilizing ARP head studs for safety reasons.

Quick Reply: White Smoke only on WOT...