Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Head Gasket Help.....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2009, 03:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how about a 2mm MLS Blitz head gasket. And yes they make head gaskets for 4g93/94 but only available in selected countries if you need on let me know i can hook you up PM me before chinese new year holidays. Which start on 26 of this month
Old Jan 22, 2009, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

so since a 1mm shim+ stock mls gives you around .5CR lower then how much would a 2mm mls gasket replacing the stock one bring you down?
Old Jan 23, 2009, 04:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sykou
so since a 1mm shim+ stock mls gives you around .5CR lower then how much would a 2mm mls gasket replacing the stock one bring you down?
I never looked into it, but as far as i know the blitz head gasket is made for turbo application and its 2mm.

Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

With a 2.00mm you need an adjustable cam gear to compensate for the loss in comression. 2.00mm is a bit much for me, considering once i get the money im going with dished pistons and the shim to lower CR a bit farther. plus, I already ordered these parts, so I'm waiting for them.... thanks for the offer on the blitz ones though. Ill be sure to you all informed.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

^ adjustable cam gear to compensate? you mean to advance the timing right? Im thinking this could be a good replacement for my rpw composite decomp... very interested in the gasket lit-racing....
Old Jan 23, 2009, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

^ adjustable cam gear to compensate? you mean to advance the timing right? Im thinking this could be a good replacement for my rpw composite decomp... very interested in the gasket lit-racing....
Thats correct. But actually, you may be able to get by without it, considering it is a 2.00mm unit, but its byitself, where-as the 1.00mm shim I bought goes along with the stock MLS head gasket, so CR's will be about the same. Cam Gears are still a great idea to have though, allows better fine tuning. Like I said before, I think I'm going with 10-11psi once i get the lancer back together..... I havent drivin a car for about a month, so it's gonna feel even faster haha!!! Thats getting me even more excited.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:50 AM
Evolving Member

Just letting all those who are interested in the stuff i bought, that I got a card tonight that says my stuff was attemped to be delivered, but i was at school so Im going to go pick it up tomorrow morning.... SUPER excited to get it running again!! I let you all know when I start my progress on her rebuild.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

took a month for express shipping?!
Old Feb 20, 2009, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

No I just wasnt sure about everything I needed... The parts took less than a week to get here.

Ok, So here is my story.

I put the 1.50mm shim, the new head gasket and the ARP head studs in about 2 weeks ago. I went through EVERYTHING, I made everything so perfect, spent hours apon hours going through every little thing to make it as good as it could possibly be. Got the car together and filled it with cheap oil and a new filter. Drove it around for a couple days not under boost, then drained the oil and popped a new filter on. Filled it with Mobil one and then went out for a drive. My waste gate diaphragm has a small tear in it, and so Im boosting at 15psi at the manifold. The thing is nuts, at 80MHP the front tires will just start to spin. I have Yokohama all seasons on with a wear rating of only 180, so they are decently grippy considering what they are. I have been pullin 350Z's, S2000's, and even WRX's that are slightly modded. I was super happey with my decision to go with the parts I did. And that one guy that was saying low end power will suffer, It didnt. It feels like a stock lancer down low, but when you hit boost....... first and second gear are almost useless.

Here's where the problem started......

Once the biuld was completed, And I started the motor, I heard a decently loud whine. Looked it over and couldnt really find the exact problem, but it sounded like the timing belt tensioner. Called Mitsubishi the next day and sure enough, the tensioner had to be reset. Anytime tension is lost on the timing chain the tensionerhas to be reset. I tried to get the harmonic balancer off with a breaker bar but with no luck. I knew somebody else who had a whine also, and didnt get there tensioner fixed and they had been driving for months with no problem.... now I was going to get this fixed on my car as soon as possible. Well this weekend I went to California, about 180 miles away, to go do some sandrailin. On my way back, I left at about 1 AM. I got about 120 miles from my place, and I felt just a little hesitation. I was just waitng for something to go wrong. Pretty soon I lost power and I quick turned off the key. I coasted to the side of the road and popped the hood, expecting to see something horrid like oil everywhere or a blown block or something. The cam gear had exploded!! Everywhere, peices of cam gear logged here, sitting there, everywhere. so there it sat, I grabbed all my stuff and started walking..... I walked for 4.5 hours, or about 12 miles before somebody gave me a ride........ Oh I am so pissed, at myself for lack of maintenance and jumpin the gun you could say. Actually on friday night, I had to break the bead, BY HAND, on my rear tire in a walmart parking lot to install a new valve stem...... let me just say that that sucked. So now Im looking at a new cam gear at the least, hopefully the piston didnt hit any valves..... anybody know if we have an interferance engine??
Old Feb 21, 2009, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
our engines are interferance engines..
Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

im not going to do any internal work when i go boost. so the blitz should do me fine with an upgraded cam gear correct?
Old Apr 10, 2009, 01:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlackOperative
No I just wasnt sure about everything I needed... The parts took less than a week to get here.

Ok, So here is my story.

I put the 1.50mm shim, the new head gasket and the ARP head studs in about 2 weeks ago. I went through EVERYTHING, I made everything so perfect, spent hours apon hours going through every little thing to make it as good as it could possibly be. Got the car together and filled it with cheap oil and a new filter. Drove it around for a couple days not under boost, then drained the oil and popped a new filter on. Filled it with Mobil one and then went out for a drive. My waste gate diaphragm has a small tear in it, and so Im boosting at 15psi at the manifold. The thing is nuts, at 80MHP the front tires will just start to spin. I have Yokohama all seasons on with a wear rating of only 180, so they are decently grippy considering what they are. I have been pullin 350Z's, S2000's, and even WRX's that are slightly modded. I was super happey with my decision to go with the parts I did. And that one guy that was saying low end power will suffer, It didnt. It feels like a stock lancer down low, but when you hit boost....... first and second gear are almost useless.

Here's where the problem started......

Once the biuld was completed, And I started the motor, I heard a decently loud whine. Looked it over and couldnt really find the exact problem, but it sounded like the timing belt tensioner. Called Mitsubishi the next day and sure enough, the tensioner had to be reset. Anytime tension is lost on the timing chain the tensionerhas to be reset. I tried to get the harmonic balancer off with a breaker bar but with no luck. I knew somebody else who had a whine also, and didnt get there tensioner fixed and they had been driving for months with no problem.... now I was going to get this fixed on my car as soon as possible. Well this weekend I went to California, about 180 miles away, to go do some sandrailin. On my way back, I left at about 1 AM. I got about 120 miles from my place, and I felt just a little hesitation. I was just waitng for something to go wrong. Pretty soon I lost power and I quick turned off the key. I coasted to the side of the road and popped the hood, expecting to see something horrid like oil everywhere or a blown block or something. The cam gear had exploded!! Everywhere, peices of cam gear logged here, sitting there, everywhere. so there it sat, I grabbed all my stuff and started walking..... I walked for 4.5 hours, or about 12 miles before somebody gave me a ride........ Oh I am so pissed, at myself for lack of maintenance and jumpin the gun you could say. Actually on friday night, I had to break the bead, BY HAND, on my rear tire in a walmart parking lot to install a new valve stem...... let me just say that that sucked. So now Im looking at a new cam gear at the least, hopefully the piston didnt hit any valves..... anybody know if we have an interferance engine??

dam that sucks dude... My friends 97 accord destroyed the cam gear the same way you described just while driving. I think his prob was something to do with the belt tension also, go figure.... Just hope you shut the engine off before any real damage was done. Nevertheless i'd rip the head apart and inspect the valves to be safe....
Old Apr 10, 2009, 01:02 AM
Evolved Member

Oh and didnt you release the tension on the timing belt before you pulled off the head? Its self adjusting isnt it? You just losten like two turns, turn the crank pulley by hand a few turns to make sure timing remains the same and then retighten the tensioner bolt....