Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

RRM Turbo in Progress

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2002 | 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

i need a little help on understanding the BOV (whats that stand for) and what exactly it does.

Last edited by ez4me2c3d; Jun 27, 2002 at 12:13 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2002 | 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

BOV is the acronym for Blow Off Valve.
Old Jun 27, 2002 | 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

and as for what it does?
Old Jun 27, 2002 | 12:41 PM

I think its when the turbo needs to blow out the pressure when you shift so it wont blow off the manifold. (I'm still in tuner 101 classes) lol.
Old Jun 27, 2002 | 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

why? whats different when you shift rather than when you are in gear? is it because the turbo is still spinning fast thus still shoving air into the engine but because you are shifting, the engine is slowly winding down not taking in as much air so now you have alot of air with no place to go. damn i think i just figured this out. sweet. correct me if im wrong, or if you couldnt undertsand the way my mind thinks.
Old Jun 27, 2002 | 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by EternalEvo
ok i have a question for you. i just bought a '02 lancer oz rally diamond white. i know a good bit about engines but never got into the turbo part of it. so everything is greek to me. my question is what about a supercharger? how would the engine hold up and how would the specs look on it? even if it isnt as good as the turbo i would still like to get some specs. by the way the installs are very clean. keep up the good work.
Useful...I think.

http://www.lancerforums.com/forums/s...ht=supercharge
Old Jun 27, 2002 | 09:01 PM

why? whats different when you shift rather than when you are in gear? is it because the turbo is still spinning fast thus still shoving air into the engine but because you are shifting, the engine is slowly winding down not taking in as much air so now you have alot of air with no place to go. damn i think i just figured this out. sweet. correct me if im wrong, or if you couldnt undertsand the way my mind thinks.
Basically...when you shift you lift off the throttle...so now there is pressure from the turbo heading for a brick wall (the throttle plate). The BOV will allow (normally) the air to be recirculate so that the energy of the turbo isn't wasted. If you feed it back in front of the turbo the air is already pressurized and fast moving so it allows the turbo to stay spooled better. If you vent it then the turbo just pushes air out of the intake. If there is no BOV then the turbo is pushing against the throttle plate and the pressure will actually try to impede the motion of the compressor while exhaust is still turning the turbine...stress, etc. The higher your boost settings are the more important it is to have a BOV and to have it re-routed into the intake piping. Low boost you might be able to get away with open air BOV venting...
Old Jun 27, 2002 | 10:14 PM

pjal84 thanks for the info it was very helpful.
Old Jun 27, 2002 | 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

Post bov

plus it sounds so bad ***!!!!
Old Jun 28, 2002 | 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by dude in a mirage

Basically...when you shift you lift off the throttle...so now there is pressure from the turbo heading for a brick wall (the throttle plate). The BOV will allow (normally) the air to be recirculate so that the energy of the turbo isn't wasted. If you feed it back in front of the turbo the air is already pressurized and fast moving so it allows the turbo to stay spooled better. If you vent it then the turbo just pushes air out of the intake. If there is no BOV then the turbo is pushing against the throttle plate and the pressure will actually try to impede the motion of the compressor while exhaust is still turning the turbine...stress, etc. The higher your boost settings are the more important it is to have a BOV and to have it re-routed into the intake piping. Low boost you might be able to get away with open air BOV venting...
You might want to thank this guy too
Old Jun 28, 2002 | 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

so i was right then...

thanks for clearing up the details on my assumption dude in a mirage.
Old Jun 28, 2002 | 09:37 PM

Red face lesson on turbos

Ahh I understand now, still reading up on the turbo 101 class.
Old Jun 29, 2002 | 10:46 AM

turbo -- want it.. NY Metro area

I want the turbo... what kind of HP? 0-60 qtr. mile?
Old Jul 1, 2002 | 11:42 AM

Since you turbo the Lancer. What are you using for fuel? Any piggy back fuel computer like HKS AFR or GReddy Emanage? How much is the car boosting? Are you using a VORTECH fuel pressure regulator or an rising rate fpr?

Fred Hernandez <--want a turbo Lancer too and have some cash to spend on turbo kit if any.
Old Jul 1, 2002 | 08:03 PM

I just bought a new OZ Lancer and want to know what I can do to it without voiding the warrenty.

Quick Reply: RRM Turbo in Progress