Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

03 lancer es Evo 8 build

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my solution to the dipstick blasting out

my header done

my engine bay redone

yay!!! haha soon it will be running again!
Attached Thumbnails 03 lancer es Evo 8 build-img_3008.jpg   03 lancer es Evo 8 build-img_7511.jpg   03 lancer es Evo 8 build-img_8501.jpg   03 lancer es Evo 8 build-img_8836.jpg  
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
header looks alot nicer then i thought it would. almost looks just like a megan racing one.. but with nice big welds

and i stick to Dip stick being zip tied in off one of the Ac bolt holes.. lol cheap n easy to replace.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Cars running, breaks working, gotta put the tires on and go for a ride
Old Oct 5, 2011, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

So who knows why my car would be smoking? It's not a blown head gasket, oil is fine. I'm hoping to check tonight if it just running rich. But I'm also suspecting my turbo bc my engine should be fine.

Also what kind of damage could be done when having it tuned and dynoed reving it to 7 k. Ivey did this and it's still rele bothering me. It didn't smoke this bad when I took it there and that was the last place it's been, sat since April when it was tuned there
Old Oct 5, 2011, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Not smoking so much now, I still have a iac cel and I've come to the conclusion that the whole big problem I've been having with the cel and throttle hang is to do with the biss screw. The first time I ever got tuned, ttr turned my boss screw till it was closed and it hasn't moved since then. I've been doing some reading and it seems that it shouldn't be closed and that it helps with the iac stepper motor which is my main problem. So who knows how to do the adjustment where I have to make the ecu have no control over the idle and just use the screw to adjust the idle. There's something about grounding some connection ?

Last edited by zulu989; Oct 12, 2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
in reference to the post before. revving to 7k isnt suggested, but when doing pulls while tuning we always went to about 6500, anything beyond there could cause rod bearing/crank failure do to the rotating mass issue of to much stroke. which is actually probably my current issue.. but that being said.. U would have a massive, noticeable issue if that was the problem.
Any oil/smoking issues.. Could be because ur turbo isgetting to much oil. it was an issue with my journal bearing t3/to4e and also my current ballbearing turbo. had to add an inline oil restrictors to restrict the flow of oil to the turbo

Last edited by Demon_ni2; Oct 5, 2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Where do u get this oil restrictor, I wanna try it
It's smoking when I drive, not always but most of the time and it won't smoke when I idle. Lots of vapor/smoke come from catch cans
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zulu989
Not smoking so much now, I still have a iac cel and I've come to the conclusion that the whole big problem I've been having with the cel and throttle hang is to do with the biss screw. The first time I ever got tuned, ttr turned my boss screw till it was closed and it hasn't moved since then. I've been doing some reading and it seems that it shouldn't be closed and that it helps with the iac stepper motor which is my main problem. U would think Ivey would check out this scree and make the adjustment. So who knows how to do the adjustment where I have to make the ecu have no control over the idle and just use the screw to adjust the idle. There's something about grounding some connection ?
Be carefull how you throw blame. You did all your own work. You did your own motor, your car drove in and drove out and I made recommendations.
It was throwing a CEL for IAC when it came in and we knew something wasnt right.

Yes we did move the Biss a few times.

Sean
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

There was no blame throwing anywhere. Biss screw was still shut closed. It just sucks to have driven it once since the tune in April or may and that no one else has my problem when they have the same stuff as me. Sean have u seen Merlin.oz's talk on it ?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Should I get this oil restrictor fitting. Can't tell if it's a .065 though

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/14B-1...ht_2581wt_1193
Old Oct 10, 2011, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Should I get this oil restrictor fitting. Can't tell if it's a .065 though

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/14B-1...ht_2581wt_1193
Aren't you running a 16g turbo? You don't need an oil restrictor on journal bearing turbo's like the mitsu's only need them on ball bearing turbos like garret.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Few ppl have said I should get one. Also been told that evos have one in their hard line
Old Oct 10, 2011, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

i have been using the 965 rom and tonight 03lances changed everything over to the 941 and what do u know? no more throttle hang!! easy fix it seems. one thing i wanted to try in the beginning.
While reading through, he pointed out that my cel knock warning light was disabled when i specifically wanted it on and was told that it was on, and that my rev limit was set at 7 k. i wrote on my tune release form that it should be at 6k.
now im seeing 15 counts of knock in 4th gear at 70 something percent throttle.

im happy about the hanging gone but not happy with the tune
more logging tomorrow
Old Oct 10, 2011, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Few ppl have said I should get one. Also been told that evos have one in their hard line
When i was researching what i needed for my FP red turbo it was highly recommended I shove as much oil there as possible. But to answer that evo's have a restrictor is a yes for sure.

Here's the size docs on the inline 4an filters i used.

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...Lancer-TurboHW

Honestly the turbo's oil seal should be able to withstand full flow with a journal bearing. It did for me even in the coldest startup and thats pegging the 140psi oil pressure gauge at the time.

Seems like you need to pull the downpipe on your car and check for oil residue. Betting its the turbo seals are just worn out and you are likely even going to have some shaft play in the turbo at this point. Should be a cheap rebuild from what i remember. You can check you shaft play without taking the turbo off just pull the intake and give your turbo a wiggle using the nut as a gripping point. Pull it back and forth for an idea of shaft run out and wiggle it side to side for play figures.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

i have been using the 965 rom and tonight 03lances changed everything over to the 941 and what do u know? no more throttle hang!! easy fix it seems. one thing i wanted to try in the beginning.
While reading through, he pointed out that my cel knock warning light was disabled when i specifically wanted it on and was told that it was on, and that my rev limit was set at 7 k. i wrote on my tune release form that it should be at 6k.
now im seeing 15 counts of knock in 4th gear at 70 something percent throttle.

im happy about the hanging gone but not happy with the tune
more logging tomorrow
The throttle hang is easy to fix on 9653, 2 iscv tables just need to be zeroed out (aka set to the same thing as the 9417 rom) but since you've swapped, it's a non-issue. As far as the rev limiter....scary that it wasn't set

Quick Reply: 03 lancer es Evo 8 build