Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

03 lancer es Evo 8 build

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2011, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ordered a turbo rebuild kit from gpopshop...the restrictor stopped it smoking a little bit but its still smoking at wot and coming to a stop. i drove it around the block.....seems like all i get to do at this point lol, but it will be all good s0on enough
Old Oct 18, 2011, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
what restrictor did u get? what Size.. (the one i linked u to?)
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good luck getting it going. Why a restrictor? What kind of restrictor?

ROAD/RACE
Old Nov 2, 2011, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

So I rebuilt the turbo and after I started it, it began to to smoke a few minutes in and I looked under and up and the turbo and there's oil dripping from the vband???? What the heck happened and what can I do to stop it. I changed everything in the turbo and it spun freely and looked good, I just don't get what happened
Old Nov 2, 2011, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
dripping from vband says to much oil. or blown seal(if just starts without previous issuses)
brand new seals/rebuilt.. ya.. um.. ur pushing to much oil.. if ur using the restrictor i linked u to, The Ballbearing turbo oil restrictor. go down to a -3an line also.
I remember i got the wrong restrictor once, did nothing to fix my issue, even though it was a small hole. the correct restrictor is super tiny hole. like .5lead kinda small... plus i also went down to a -3an line. honda owners can sometimes get away without any restrictors, but thats only with -3an lines.. and kinda a 50/50 ordeal apparently.

remember.. i did have the same issue.

Last edited by Demon_ni2; Nov 2, 2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Not sure what restrictor I got but it's a tiny hole. If its leaking now will it maybe solve it with the smaller line considering all new seals are in and the car only ran for 10 min or so
Old Nov 6, 2011, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

new evo 9 turbo coming by wednesday i hope....
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

I just put on a EVO 9 turbo that had 6000 miles. No oil leaking from the vband or in the intake side. But I'm smoking. Is it gonna be from all the oil sitting in the piping and how long would that take burn out? I am a little over the fill mark on the dipstick
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zulu989
I just put on a EVO 9 turbo that had 6000 miles. No oil leaking from the vband or in the intake side. But I'm smoking. Is it gonna be from all the oil sitting in the piping and how long would that take burn out? I am a little over the fill mark on the dipstick
Long time oil takes forever to burn up in an exhaust.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
Long time oil takes forever to burn up in an exhaust.
I rele hope so! I went to a deserted place and just reved up for 2 min trying to clear it, I just don't know what to do if it's still bad. But u rele think it's just the old oil, I mean there is a lot of it in the piping considering the last turbos were just dripping the stuff
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

so ive come to see that it cant be left over oil bc i did see some when i took the intake off. also the jpipe was a mess. i have the same setup that i had in the beggining so no idea why now it does this. tomorrow my 3an line arrives. but please can someone help me figure this out. does this engine have higher oil pressure or something. the upper intercooler pipe is clean btw
Old Nov 10, 2011, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

What the heck man, so you have oil dripping from the vband while its just idling? 1 rebuild and 1 new turbo????

Do you have oil coming from the valve cover, like in the intake? Nothing in the uicp makes sense, no real way to get oil there. The oil either comes through the feed being too much, the seals being bad, or the valve train spitting it up, righg? Anywhere else it could come from? Is your oil preasure normal?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HornstarBU
What the heck man, so you have oil dripping from the vband while its just idling? 1 rebuild and 1 new turbo????

Do you have oil coming from the valve cover, like in the intake? Nothing in the uicp makes sense, no real way to get oil there. The oil either comes through the feed being too much, the seals being bad, or the valve train spitting it up, righg? Anywhere else it could come from? Is your oil preasure normal?
No I'm not dripping with the new turbo. I dunno what the oil pressure is bc I have no gauge. Just oil in the jpipe and tiny bit on the turbo inlet
Old Nov 10, 2011, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zulu989
No I'm not dripping with the new turbo. I dunno what the oil pressure is bc I have no gauge. Just oil in the jpipe and tiny bit on the turbo inlet
Is that from the previous blown turbo then?

Its not terribly uncommon for turbo's to blow seals after time and spew into the intake its a real ***** to clean out too...

I suggest a bottle of alcohol and a couple cans of engine degreaser to get the funk out of that j-pipe and pretty much the rest of the intake tract. That means up pipe and intercooler as well are probably covered in oil.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Up pipe has no oil in it. It's a new turbo. I cleaned the jpipe and drove and it was dirty again. Is the intercooler always pressurized or does it see any vacuum?

Quick Reply: 03 lancer es Evo 8 build