Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

RRM Turbo installed/completed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2009, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I would rather go the RRM route since they are an established LANCER tuning company and not some brand new turbo website. I am dropping 22k on my 09 GTS and I'd much rather pop out an extra grand for a kit (with a piggyback) that has been made by a company with a reputation to uphold. Also Rob has stated plenty of times that they will match extremeboost.com's kit for as much kit for the same price. 3500 kit just barely finished w/ several testing failures and a shady past... or 4500 for a solid kit from a company that has done nothing but studied the 4b series since day one... Not a hard choice for me. Plus I would much rather have the RRM filter and Piggy-back than a stock ECU flash during a $300-500 tune.

RRM will eventually lower the price of the kit when they are able to do so. The majority of people that are so eager to obtain the kit ARE NOT even in the financial position to afford a kit, be it 3500 or 4500. Personally, I say wear the car for a year or two and make sure it's running good before you start trying to void the warranty. Just because it's a new car doesn't mean you aren't going to have problems with it... Just means the problems are covered. Also you may be like me and get the car at 20yrs old with the expectation that the tuning scene will pick it up just to find out you aren't getting any love. Major reason I got the Lancer was the fact I couldn't afford the insurance and car payments on the MS3 I test drove. I found out my fiance was pregnant so we went ahead and got married early since we couldn't afford to raise a kid and get married when we planned. My insurance went from 360/month to 230/month and I am quoted at 190/month when the kid arrives. Needless to say I can now afford the insurance on a MS3. The point to my story is this, you don't always know what you are going to want and need in a car 2 years from when you buy it. If you can afford to do stuff like turbo and what not than go for it... But if you are vigorously saving for these addons, than you really need to put a lot more consideration into it.

My .02 and life story

Last edited by Mayhem7o2; Mar 27, 2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SeRious08
Yeah, its running SOOOOO well that its on the market and ready to ship.

Blah blah blah, I have heard nothing but excuses from xtremeboost since day one.
well once its running and tuned, it will most likely produce more HP than your kit especially since it will be Jestr tuned, have 4 new, bigger injectors, a better turbo, and a better tubular manifold IMO, its worth the wait...$3500 kit + $500 for a great tune = less money/more HP/better looking than RRMs kit. Although, im not flaming RRM because I know they make great stuff...I have their intake

Originally Posted by Mayhem7o2
Personally I would rather go the RRM route since they are an established LANCER tuning company and not some brand new turbo website.
and they arent just a website. if you go to Franks shop, you will see at least 3 - 4 Evos at a time, so he knows mitsubishis, and turbos in general

Last edited by yitzac1990; Mar 27, 2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

No offense but their thread just felt like they got way to ahead of themselves at the beginning. I was also just saying if it were my money I would go with the company that has the prestigious reputation before I go with the new website/shop place. I'm the type of person who will pay the extra buck for the hot wheels car when I was a kid instead of getting the questionable matchbox car. A company is only as good as their reputation and RRM has quite the rep.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mayhem7o2
No offense but their thread just felt like they got way to ahead of themselves at the beginning. I was also just saying if it were my money I would go with the company that has the prestigious reputation before I go with the new website/shop place. I'm the type of person who will pay the extra buck for the hot wheels car when I was a kid instead of getting the questionable matchbox car. A company is only as good as their reputation and RRM has quite the rep.
i totally agree about RRMs rep and quality, i was just saying that i prefer xtremeboosts kit after what ive seen in their garage and whats built so far for the 08 lancer. if RRM had to all of a sudden move shops for some reason, and EVERYTHING had to be moved, im sure they would halt all production and sales of everything until their new shop is back in order. Thats what happened to xtremeboost and frank. Also, he lost his first test lancer due to some problems a while ago, so that was another unexpected setback for him
Old Mar 28, 2009, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

I almost forgot I was on a forum with all the SI lovers on here
I'm coming from a 06 SI with a few bolt ons before the lancer. Stock it's not as fast as all u guys are making it out to be. I got to say everybody says is horrible about warranty stuff, I guess none of u have dealt with Honda then.

Anyways back on topic, Hopefully u get the BOV stuff worked out and can't wait to see some track vids. And PLEASE post a dyno or something when u get one so we can see what kind of power u are getting.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 12:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this turbo design is sub-par.......i built a custom kit for 420a eclipse that cost around 1000...this kit for 4500.....i wouldnt shell out that kinda money for this kit....but congrats either way....you are turbo now....DONT GO BOOST HAPPY...its hard not to.....
Old Mar 30, 2009, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hixlancer
this turbo design is sub-par.......i built a custom kit for 420a eclipse that cost around 1000...this kit for 4500.....i wouldnt shell out that kinda money for this kit....but congrats either way....you are turbo now....DONT GO BOOST HAPPY...its hard not to.....
You built a kit on a total different platform and an engine that had already been raped by every aftermarket company out there. Basically all the R&D had been done to establish what worked and what didn't work.

If you think you can design/build a better kit with tuning and have it running on an 08/09 Lancer, please do it. Xtremeboost thought the same thing. Look where it has gotten him.

I will not adjust the boost until the internals have been changed/beefed up.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yitzac1990
well once its running and tuned, it will most likely produce more HP than your kit especially since it will be Jestr tuned, have 4 new, bigger injectors, a better turbo, and a better tubular manifold IMO, its worth the wait...$3500 kit + $500 for a great tune = less money/more HP/better looking than RRMs kit.
Can't wait to see that. I hope it does well when its released in a month... uh I mean 3 months... no wait 6 months... crap I mean a year
Old Mar 30, 2009, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

looks great I remember when I had my 02 lancer I was saving for a turbo then, that when it click. I'll use the money as a down payment good luck on ur furture mods.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice Turbo man i know your flamming on xtremeboost but im patient and ill see if they are going to release their turbo soon... i dont want to jump to rrm right away.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SeRious08
Can't wait to see that. I hope it does well when its released in a month... uh I mean 3 months... no wait 6 months... crap I mean a year
well lets race when i get my kit!
Old Mar 30, 2009, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

I really don't see the need to flame RRM. They are THE company that has been loyal to the Lancer since it arrived on our shores. They do the cutting edge R&D, they stand by their products, and they make products that simply work. Out of many many threads where people have complained about RRM products that were not performing, it almost always ended up being the customers error.

Would some other company have jumped in if RRM hadn't grabbed that niche in the market? Maybe, but maybe not. The lancer is not a moneymaker for aftermarket parts. RRM isn't perfect, but every one in the lancer community should at least show them some respect.

But.... but... but... that doesn't mean anyone should be an RRM fanboy. If there is something wrong with a setup, voice your concerns. But... let's not compare it negatively to some other company that hasn't even created a working prototype kit. That's just not fair; and of course, if they haven't gotten it working yet, they may tone it down to get it reliable.

The reason why the kit is expensive is because no one else will take the time to R&D and extensively test a kit, and then to completely stand behind it. It's not like there are thousands of customers lining up to buy the RRM kit when it comes out (unlike a civic turbo kit for example). RRM needs to charge a premium because they do premium work for a very narrow market.

On another note, congrats on your kit! My advice would be to seriously consider the technical advise voiced in this thread. I'm no expert on turbos, but I know enough to know that people here are raising some issues that could lead to the annihilation of your engine. Be careful and change your oil!
Old Mar 30, 2009, 11:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We work hard and we try to cover every detail like no other. We are not huge and the Lancer market is not huge so every is made in small numbers if not one at time. People with nothing figured out for Lancer have no right to flame. Life on the keyboard is a lot easier than life under the hood!

ROAD/RACE
Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ROCK
...Life on the keyboard is a lot easier than life under the hood!

ROAD/RACE
haha i love this!!!!! and i was not flaming you guys, I know you guys rock. but serious is not even giving xtremeboost a chance.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yitzac1990
but serious is not even giving xtremeboost a chance.
How do you figure?? Did you miss this post that I stated I hope they do get it completed??? Guess not....

I'm just not holding my breath for it. They tell you that it will be available in a month. Then 6 months goes by with nothing, then a year. Businesses that make repeated excuses whether it was them relocating or not, don't get my business.

But hey, what ever tickles your fancy. You are probably the guy that doesn't have sex with a girl until married because you like the "waiting game".

My point is that everyone that is ******* the kit has nothing to compare it too so they have no right. Sure, there is an incomplete kit that isn't for sale and doesn't run but thats like comparing apples to oranges.

Seacrest out....

Quick Reply: RRM Turbo installed/completed