Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

RRM Turbo installed/completed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2009, 08:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jRox
Hey Rock. Someone is in need of your assistance: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...ev-issues.html
Everything is squared away for Legends to my knowledge. We went over most of these things before install with him. It is all part of the game. IF it was easy, everyone would be turboed. Just sorry we do not work Sundays! Monday fixes all.

ROAD/RACE
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one thing a lot of you are forgetting is that a turbo kit isnt just an install and go... it can and must be tuned... get more hp than what he said so far if he got it tuned... should ahve just got it done at RRM and have them tune it or any other places that focus on tuning only... why do i feel so strong about tuning friends bro has a 240sx with skyline turbo and after it was tuned it was a car like no other... but yeah most ppl know that u must tune a turbo kit and not just install and go...
Old Oct 8, 2009, 10:17 PM

Who’s talking about tune? I’m talking about fit. In that aspect hell yea I’m looking for install and go. It’s supposed to be pre-tuned anyway. Another example, today while I’m looking over everything I noticed a gap between my mani and turbo, had to remove the dump tube RRM gave me to replace my old one. Got it good and tight and with the slack gone now my dump tube won’t fit again.

So I’m sitting here counting down from 21 the days until I get time to get to a muffler shop and get it fixed. This also means I'll have to pull the kit out so I can take it with me to make sure it fits. A vehicle specific pre-tuned kit should be basically drop in if you can follow instructions and are decently mechanically inclined. Now if you say sarcastically its super easy a newbie new to driving period could do it I get it. If your talking fine tune the basic tune I get it.

Its like I’ve wrote before my situation is a special one, small errors are big ones here to me. A perfect test in a way. No time off, no place I can just skip too. Its 37 miles just to pick up a pack of bolts from AutoZone. Shops I need end business before I can get there. The RRM kit itself is easy to install and for the most part does bolt right on up. Its just these bumps here and there that slow me way down. If I were still in Texas it wouldn’t be that drastic. As far as most of these things being covered before I started, only a short down pipe came across my ear or did I miss something? I was prepared for that, you don’t get worked up off what your prepared for. And I took notes.

But anyway it’s my life to look at everything close, find little details it’s what I do. I’m not a master mechanic; some simple stuff I should know Im sure dont cause the situation just never came up. But once it does I get it and quick I can say. I learned how to replace internals before i could change the brakes. The RRM kit is still the best out in my opinion, if anything the money you pay isn’t wasted because they have good customer service. Worth something in itself. Lastly, my project is on-going.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

sucks dude hopefully you get it worked out.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 03:33 PM

Its cool, I was able to cut from work this morning (hard work pays off) and got a new dump. That’s the last of it! Dunno why it’s been a pain seeing how it’s made (can’t see how it’s been off to tell you the truth using the method RRM uses) but none the less it’s a perfect fit. Hope to start it up today. It works out in the end. Be easy on RRM I still think their cool, I’ve had worse so..Im the only one out of who knows how many so most likely no one else will run into this inconvenience. If you do, you’re probably in a better place than me so it really won’t matter.

Last edited by LegendsoWicked; Oct 9, 2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 03:36 PM

Got problems folks

Last edited by LegendsoWicked; Oct 9, 2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 09:00 PM

Dial it back AGAIN!! New problem surprise! So im putting the thing back on and Im ready to start. I notice a lil puddle of coolant. Hmm, I get under and check it. This is new. The turbo sits so close it literally crunched down on the metal coolant tube that runs back behind the engine. Its weak metal from what I can tell. S.O.B-so i reach up and squeeze the coolant hose to check the seat. Now Im cover in ****ING coolant!! The car made it straight rain on my a$$! I tried to tighten it some, I even tried a D@mn wiggle. Whatever seal got broke is PHUCKIN DONE! The manifold wasnt made to clear that thing, there's no way to adjust it.

This is Bull$hit. Are you F#cking serious guy!? I didnt even have a chance to catch it cause you have to bolt it on from the top and its the lower part that crunched it. Now Im messing with stuff I dont know about. Floor getting covered in coolant. Fix the kit, break the car. OH and its the weekend, yep guess Im $hit outta luck for answers, I get to let it boil for the next two days or more.

Now what do I do? I know somebody else has to notice a lil puddle. It doesnt fit that close on their car so why on mine? If I have to replace it I dont even know how Ive never done it before. Stuff like this is why I bought the kit to avoid. Stuff thats happening anyway. Maybe my manifold was the problem the whole time IDK.

This is Bull$hit.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 09:11 PM

Oh and is this what you meant by liability huh? Ive had to rig up vac hoses, get whole new parts created maaan. What the hells going on. Is it a PZEV thing, if so its your responsibilty to make sure you guys are current. F u c k i n g b u l l sh i t
Old Oct 9, 2009, 09:46 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

wow.. if this is the case.. hopefully they release the cvt when all the r&d is done..
Old Oct 10, 2009, 09:29 AM

Oh it’s the case trust me. Im not incompetent, Im all about obtaining perfection when I take on a project. And it reflects in my car. No one can say any different. I have tangible mechanical background on paper that’s real world useable and this kits not above my level. Ive done every thing this kit requires as an everyday job.

Im not trying to hear if it was easy everyone would be doing it too. Nothing should be all that difficult coming from a vehicle specific kit. Lets be real the kits not hard to hook up. I expected perhaps the wiring or the oil tap to be the hard parts. I blew past those things without effort, I really could of been done in a day. I was knocking it out that fast. Its the fit. Its not me, I'll call RRM and ask them the dumbest questions even if I know the answer if there is even a HINT of doubt.

I want to know why the perfect fit kit isn’t perfect. If its minor its minor. However its still something. If I showed up and paid you 499.50 and I owe you .50 it doesn’t matter that you got most of it, you still want that .50 cents.

And I was a human tape recorder when we went over the kit, I made a point to write everything that came out of anyones mouth. I gave credit for the warning about the downpipe even though it was worse than thought. I def would have noted these other things. Like I said I strive for perfection.

Last edited by LegendsoWicked; Oct 10, 2009 at 10:09 AM. Reason: avoid adding too many post
Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:59 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

where exactly do you live?
Old Oct 11, 2009, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

I'm so flabbergasted reading this entire post, because i've been part of the lancer community since 03, having a turbo'd 03 OZ myself (custom built) and the only reason i went custom is to save money and learn stuff myself. With the 02-07 kits, RRM was just about as perfect as they could have been. Even when the kits first came out, fitment was never an issue. I dont know what happened to them, or these kits, for the quality of work to go so downhill so quickly. THe 02-03 kits in particular, were just about idiot proof
Old Oct 11, 2009, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look... i have a 09 gts manual... i bought the kit for it.... and i installed it with no problems and without directions... everything fit perfect... and my friend bought his kit for his 04 ralliart manual and that car was my first turbo install... and still no problems... so i dunno why you have so many problems... i have always had good service with them every i talked to them.... and that whole thing about you callin them just to ask dumb questions and question that you all ready knew the answer to, just to see if they would be honest or some s h i t like that, is f u c k i n stupied... if the s h i t didnt fit right like the downpipe... just get it extened (not hard) and shut up and not complain about it.... im done.....

Last edited by 09_Lancer_GTS; Oct 11, 2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 11:40 AM

First time for everything guy, f u c k you.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this dude just got pissed off.....

Quick Reply: RRM Turbo installed/completed