Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Turbo or Supercharge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2009, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i guess the ECU gather the Torque specs from diiferent senors in or on the motor and reads it... Mitsu is the only one that has that i think...

P.S. i hope yall do know that these new lancers are Electronicaly Advanced...

Last edited by 09_Lancer_GTS; Jun 7, 2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guess thats why there are so many issues with the ecu's
Old Jun 7, 2009, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

I don't mind getting a supercharger for my car. Turbo is not on my list right now anyways..
Old Jun 7, 2009, 08:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 09_Lancer_GTS
i guess the ECU gather the Torque specs from diiferent senors in or on the motor and reads it... Mitsu is the only one that has that i think...

P.S. i hope yall do know that these new lancers are Electronicaly Advanced...
I think you might be refering to the anti vibration software for the TCU / ECU. If we are talking about the same thing, if so its basically the algorythim used to counter vibrations given off by the Lancer CVT. CVTs have a natural vibration that occurs during operation. To counter those effects, the input TQ is measured and limited to compensate for these vibrations. Basically cancelling them out. This is why there is a 5 to 10 hp/tq difference between the two versions of the lancer.

if your interested in reading the official mitsubishi paper on it , you can look here https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...gn-2005-a.html

yeah 09_Lancer_GTS these lancers are super advanced. I am surprised mitsubishi had very few problems electronically speaking.

Last edited by evo_soul; Jun 7, 2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
I think you might be refering to the anti vibration software for the TCU / ECU. If we are talking about the same thing, if so its basically the algorythim used to counter vibrations given off by the Lancer CVT. CVTs have a natural vibration that occurs during operation. To counter those effects, the input TQ is measured and limited to compensate for these vibrations. Basically cancelling them out. This is why there is a 5 to 10 hp/tq difference between the two versions of the lancer.

if your interested in reading the official mitsubishi paper on it , you can look here https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...gn-2005-a.html

yeah 09_Lancer_GTS these lancers are super advanced. I am surprised mitsubishi had very few problems electronically speaking.
see your talkin about CVT... im talkin about the lancer in general... CVT and Manual and no its not the Vibrations thats something different im talkin about the motors actual Torque
Old Jun 8, 2009, 07:00 AM
Former Sponsor

well either way there are many more sensors in this car. Car are becoming so advance that its hard to keep track of what is what

Old Jul 4, 2009, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wayy too much electronics for me....i wish they werent so "monitored" and all that crap. some days my car is noticeably faster than other days...i have the CVT...i hear its because if you press the brake more then it robs you of HP when u try to get on it...i dunno these computers are too advanced ;/
Old Jul 7, 2009, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hixlancer
wayy too much electronics for me....i wish they werent so "monitored" and all that crap. some days my car is noticeably faster than other days...i have the CVT...i hear its because if you press the brake more then it robs you of HP when u try to get on it...i dunno these computers are too advanced ;/

thats the mivec doing that , this engine is so advanced that the car reads how you drive it and it adapts to that so say if i drive my car like a granny and you drive yours with a heavy foot and we both have the same car same trans and we swap your car will respond better then mine , thats why maybe one day you drive like a granny then the next you drive with a heavy foot the day after your car will feel faster then the other day ,

thats also why mods feel better after a few days of having them on the car , takes time to react to it
Old Jul 13, 2009, 06:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by hixlancer
CVT is only as good as its programming. If done correctly, it could beat the pants off anything with smart programing
Old Jul 13, 2009, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

kind of off topic..but is there anything in the works to cure the CVTs loss of HP..or at least help it get off the line better..if it actually responded like an Automatic transmission or better i would have been happy with it
Old Jul 13, 2009, 08:14 PM
Account Disabled

Turbos are always a better way to go for smaller motors like these. You actually have two options in turbo kits one is our Xtremeboost kit and another is rrm's kit , both will be better overall then a charger kit and you'll also get better support from any local shop you may end-up going to in your area .

Old Jul 14, 2009, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JHizzle
kind of off topic..but is there anything in the works to cure the CVTs loss of HP..or at least help it get off the line better..if it actually responded like an Automatic transmission or better i would have been happy with it
I am not sure what is being done with the CVT to improve its performance at low rpm. There is a big debate about the CVT in the SCCA club and solo racing communities. Some feel that the CVT with the right ECU and Transmission Control Module programming would dominate the track. This is not b/c it is faster off the line, but b/c if the tranny changes ratios were optimized to keep the car at max hp always, it would gain any time lost off the line by using the optimum ratio for max HP all the time. Manual tranny guys are limited to the gear ratios they have so they are constantly hitting the rev limiters on the track to keep the car at max HP. For example, if you have a manual tranny car and you are at max hp say 7krpm and you shift to second to avoid the rev limiter, it may drop to 5k and climb back to 7k until you shift again. The cvt, with the right setup, would stay at 7krpm and only vary a couple of hundred rpms or so, say 6.8k to 7.1k. To buy into this you have to buy into the "it is always better to make hp at high RPM" theory, but that is were some believe the true potential and strength of the cvt lies. I have not heard much else about this. I know the extroid cvt's are capable of much more power and torque, but those are on larger rwd cars in Japan and some in the US.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

The same idea also has come up about boosted CVTs, where in a manual car you lift off the gas to shift, you lose your boost between gears. In the CVT it's constantly at full RPMS and at Full boost. But then that also brings about the problem of will it break under that kind of stress. In theory it sounds good and seems to make sense, but we'll never know until someone does it.

I know evo_soul posted some stuff about boosted CVTs a while back breaking once they hit 280ish HP or something like that. Cant remember for sure though.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Please make a supercharger.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

I think it would be neat to do a supercharger. Think if I were going to try to develop something like that i would look at the Mini Cooper S and try to mimic what they have done for the mini's supercharger. Obviously there would be alot of fabrication and development but i think it would be a good starting point. It could also be valuable data for lessons learned. I was unaware of this but according to alot of the SOLO racing drivers who drive the mini cooper S, keeping the engine cool is a major problem and usually between heats they have to pop the hood and use fans to cool it. A couple of those drivers love it in spite of the heat issues and some hate it and would rather have a turbo.

Quick Reply: Turbo or Supercharge