Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Turbo or Supercharge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2009, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo or Supercharge

for someone who likes to take their car to the track from time to time which would be better , turbo or supercharge ?

the supercharger will help with the low end giving you power right away but then again you probabily wont get as much power from a supercharger as you would a turbo

i dont know enuff about engines and mechanics thats why im asking what would be better for the 2.0 gts a turbo or supercharger ( which would have to be a custom kit by the looks of it )
Old Jun 6, 2009, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you bein for real right now ???
Old Jun 7, 2009, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Superchargers are better suited for larger engines IMO. 4-bangers are better for turbo.

Just my opinion...
Old Jun 7, 2009, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 09_Lancer_GTS
are you bein for real right now ???
i wouldnt be asking if i wasnt for real , im not that good with engines thats why im asking what would be better , i know turbo is better for power , but im talking about on a track making good power out of turns where boost may not be kicking in yet
Old Jun 7, 2009, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Infamous_pt4
i wouldnt be asking if i wasnt for real , im not that good with engines thats why im asking what would be better , i know turbo is better for power , but im talking about on a track making good power out of turns where boost may not be kicking in yet
thats when you go Twin Trubo one for lower RPM and one for higher RPM... i like superchagers but on sertain cars like Mustangs... but im a Turbo guy so... put a Turbo you car its better free HP unlike Superchargers you have use HP to Get HP and our Lancer do have that much HP stock....
Make Sences???

Last edited by 09_Lancer_GTS; Jun 7, 2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

it makes sense and im 100% turbo guy , but one problem we have with our lancers up here is our ecu's we cant turbo them inless we get an american spec ecu , i dont know why but the canadian and american have different ecu's which has been a problem for modding
Old Jun 7, 2009, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

i have you Talked to RRM?? they migh help you out.. the RRM kit comes with a Piggy Back... it taps into the ECU....
Old Jun 7, 2009, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

^ doesent work , someone in montreal has already bought a kit from rrm , car goes into limp mode and no one could figure out why , this ecu thing is something no one knew about till mitsu finally admitted it , and how would rrm know about it unless they had a canadian spec car , so blame cant be pointed at a faulty kit , its really dumb why they would do that , first thing i have to do is look into how much it would be for a american spec ecu
Old Jun 7, 2009, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

true you can look for a American ecu or be the first and send RRM your ECU or the hole car.... thats and option too...
Old Jun 7, 2009, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

i would buy a supercharger for our car if someone made one.

For everyone saying you need a large engine for it, look at the success of the Mini's, 1.3L supercharged engine. They have gone for a turbo now but they did it for emissions and fuel economy. John Cooper Works wasn't happy with the turbo set up and wanted to stay with the supercharger.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by the_cosworth
i would buy a supercharger for our car if someone made one.

For everyone saying you need a large engine for it, look at the success of the Mini's, 1.3L supercharged engine. They have gone for a turbo now but they did it for emissions and fuel economy. John Cooper Works wasn't happy with the turbo set up and wanted to stay with the supercharger.
I know its in the works for the a 2.0L unknown if they plan on adapting it to a 2.4L. Since half the team is in Japan, its probably a 2.0L engine mod only.
The economy fell flat on its face in October and both a Turbo kit and Super Charger kit were shelved until funding was adequate. sigh...
keep you posted on that, but the logic given to my why the Super Charger is viable for the Lancer is because of its available base TQ. significant enhancements can be made to the Mitsu motor.

Last edited by evo_soul; Jun 7, 2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
I know its in the works for the a 2.0L unknown if they plan on adapting it to a 2.4L. Since half the team is in Japan, its probably a 2.0L engine mod only.
The economy fell flat on its face in October and both a Turbo kit and Super Charger kit were shelved until funding was adequate. sigh...
keep you posted on that, but the logic given to my why the Super Charger is viable for the Lancer is because of its available base TQ. significant enhancements can be made to the Mitsu motor.
I have the 2.0 so I would be into this.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 01:15 PM
Former Sponsor

but ya , like was mentioned before, if your from Canada you need a USA spec ECU. the Canadian ECU has a fuzzy logic when it comes to calculating long term fuel trim. It in other words takes a very long time to adapt. and if your Turbo / Supercharger kit is focusing drastically radical demands on your A/F, you will find the car constantly failing / limp mode / triggering faults.

Its something that is really really strange.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

did yall know that these lancer have a Torque Monitoring System....
Old Jun 7, 2009, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 09_Lancer_GTS
did yall know that these lancer have a Torque Monitoring System....
whats that?

Quick Reply: Turbo or Supercharge