Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

turbo kits and the life span of our cars

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2009, 02:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 03lances
Ya Mine were not hard just took a long time I soldered and shrinkwrapped everything and anything I connected well I take that back getting my pillar pod to snap back in was a PITA. I am very happy I took as long as I did to do everything I dont have a single drop of oil or coolant. Turbo spools up very nice not a single error code since I got my exhaust done no smoke nothing!!! Now if I can just get my damn tune figured out Ill be good
my pillar pods actually went back in proper, so i didnt have to deal with that hardship...yea im happy i took my time as well...i didnt have any oil leaks, vacuum leaks, fuel leaks etc. if anything my tuning was the only drawback (other than blowin the piston) i was runnin pig rich!! after a bit more research, learning and advice, i got it up to par
Old Dec 22, 2009, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you guys are gonna be my saving grace when i go turbo.... i need something to be able to refer to when i am turning wrenches.... anyone in pa that wants to lend a helping hand would be much appreciated and a few beers at the least would be in order
Old Dec 23, 2009, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sawulkn
been goin for a bit over a year now at 5-7psi on stock internals and no tune...took a chunk out of a piston crown by misshift with about 114k on engine...upgraded to wiseco low comp pistons and forged rods, rc 330cc injectors and self tuned with emanage...took it to a lake bed few months ago and topped at 145mph @ about 5500rpm still @5-7 psi
145 on flats? i hope i have more to look foward to than that! i'm n/a at the moment and i hit 145 on the street! got it saved on my gps for anyone who doubts me. well early january my rrm kit will be installed. and i dont understand why everybody is running bad or no tunes.. why after coughing up thousands of dollars for a complete turbo set up are you gonna go cheap on the tune? theres really no reason to have fmu or a fpr if your only gonna run 5-7lbs. just get some good injectors and get it professionally flashed/tuned. im taking my car to a shop in santa clarita CA. in january called Yimi Sport Tuning and they're gonna do an all day flash/ dyno tune for $400. that a great deal considering you just spent $2,000-$4,000 on a turbo set-up.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crf inc.
145 on flats? i hope i have more to look foward to than that! i'm n/a at the moment and i hit 145 on the street! got it saved on my gps for anyone who doubts me. well early january my rrm kit will be installed. and i dont understand why everybody is running bad or no tunes.. why after coughing up thousands of dollars for a complete turbo set up are you gonna go cheap on the tune? theres really no reason to have fmu or a fpr if your only gonna run 5-7lbs. just get some good injectors and get it professionally flashed/tuned. im taking my car to a shop in santa clarita CA. in january called Yimi Sport Tuning and they're gonna do an all day flash/ dyno tune for $400. that a great deal considering you just spent $2,000-$4,000 on a turbo set-up.
Don't mean to burst your bubble but a N/A Lancer will never do 145 mph. I hit 144 mph on my setup. The intake and head just doesn't flow enough air to go any further. A lot of people do a good base tune themselves then pay someone when they get enough money to do a professional tune. Most of us bought our own cars so we can't fork out $3-$5k for a full turbo setup.
Good luck on your build.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by OZ Rally
Don't mean to burst your bubble but a N/A Lancer will never do 145 mph. I hit 144 mph on my setup. The intake and head just doesn't flow enough air to go any further. A lot of people do a good base tune themselves then pay someone when they get enough money to do a professional tune. Most of us bought our own cars so we can't fork out $3-$5k for a full turbo setup.
Good luck on your build.
i will post a pic of my garmin that says my highest speed was 136mph. i know i said 145mph but my garmin lags the faster i go, so if im doing 80mph it will say im doin 76mph. ive tested this over and over again and i know that my cars speedometer is accurate. also i realize that alot of people here bought theyre own cars, as did i. ive put 65k on my motor hoping that one day i'll be able to turbo it, and now that day has come, but theres no way im gonna put my kit on untill i have $400 for a perfect tune. thats no alot of money, certainly not gonna break the bank. I'm not trying to down play anybody on here, im just a firm believer in doing things right the first time.

Last edited by crf inc.; Dec 23, 2009 at 02:39 PM. Reason: pics
Old Dec 23, 2009, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Im gonna have to call BS on 145 too. I have the following mods, 2.5in header back with borla can, obx header, injen cai, 501 maf, g93 ported manifold, g93 camshaft, port matched and polished head, underdrive pulley, and a decent tune sitting at 12.5 wot and the highest I ever got to, and it took probably just under a mile to get to it, was 129. So Im afraid i have to disagree. and as far as the gps units go, i had a friend with an expensive, close to $200 garmin, on a bike and it said he was doing 140 when i was right next to him and both our speedos were reading 120. He has a digital speedo with no aftermarket gearing and I have an analog with speedohealer for my gearing. So I definitely dont trust gps units. Just my 2 cents. 136 seems an attainable possibility with them though. But unless you have your redline set above 6000 or 6250 or whatever it is, I dont believe you will ever reach 145. Not trying to call you a liar or start something, just trying to keep the NA lancers abilities truthful. Nice car though.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by imalancerman
Im gonna have to call BS on 145 too. I have the following mods, 2.5in header back with borla can, obx header, injen cai, 501 maf, g93 ported manifold, g93 camshaft, port matched and polished head, underdrive pulley, and a decent tune sitting at 12.5 wot and the highest I ever got to, and it took probably just under a mile to get to it, was 129. So Im afraid i have to disagree. and as far as the gps units go, i had a friend with an expensive, close to $200 garmin, on a bike and it said he was doing 140 when i was right next to him and both our speedos were reading 120. He has a digital speedo with no aftermarket gearing and I have an analog with speedohealer for my gearing. So I definitely dont trust gps units. Just my 2 cents. 136 seems an attainable possibility with them though. But unless you have your redline set above 6000 or 6250 or whatever it is, I dont believe you will ever reach 145. Not trying to call you a liar or start something, just trying to keep the NA lancers abilities truthful. Nice car though.
i agree with you, navi speeds arent all that accurate, but i know mine is not that far off. especialy not 20mph off! my speedometer needle was staying steady right on the srs light, and if you look at your speedometer you'll see that thats around 10mph past the 130mph that our speedometers max out to. i didnt even know the needle could go that high! i was as shocked as anyone else that my car was capable of this! i have no gain from lying and i hate those kind of people. im definitely not trying to be "that guy"..lol as far as mods goes, i dont have much, aem intake, i have a header but was actually running stock at the time, rrm light weight crank pully, act 6 puck sprung cluch, full 2.5" custome header back exhaust, torque damper, ngk plus & wires.. really nothing crazy as far as the motor goes. but also my friend has stage 2 port/polished im and port matched tb, lightweight flywheel, stage 2 clutch, every suspention mod on the market, rrm lightweight crank pulley and then some and my cars is faster. i really wish i knew why. anyways no hard feelings, im not gonna try to convince anybody anymore, but i know that i was plenty over 130.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Not to be a jerk, but one can not compare top speeds on pavement to speeds on salt, the coefficient of friction is no where near the same. A car that can achieve 180mph on pavement will struggle to reach that on salt. Does anyone watch Top Gear?
Old Dec 23, 2009, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crf inc.
i agree with you, navi speeds arent all that accurate, but i know mine is not that far off. especialy not 20mph off! my speedometer needle was staying steady right on the srs light, and if you look at your speedometer you'll see that thats around 10mph past the 130mph that our speedometers max out to. i didnt even know the needle could go that high! i was as shocked as anyone else that my car was capable of this! i have no gain from lying and i hate those kind of people. im definitely not trying to be "that guy"..lol as far as mods goes, i dont have much, aem intake, i have a header but was actually running stock at the time, rrm light weight crank pully, act 6 puck sprung cluch, full 2.5" custome header back exhaust, torque damper, ngk plus & wires.. really nothing crazy as far as the motor goes. but also my friend has stage 2 port/polished im and port matched tb, lightweight flywheel, stage 2 clutch, every suspention mod on the market, rrm lightweight crank pulley and then some and my cars is faster. i really wish i knew why. anyways no hard feelings, im not gonna try to convince anybody anymore, but i know that i was plenty over 130.
Wow congrats!
Just still find it hard to believe that an N/A Lancer can be so fast. lol
Old Dec 23, 2009, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Well, they say in the higher MPH on the speedometer, you can be off as much as like 5-8 MPH on the analog face gauges. Like I said, i can actually believe 136. But 145 is a stretch to say the least. And the biggest reason I say that isnt because of the power level, its the rev limit. A mirage could reach 145 and then some with a 7k rev limit on the same tranny we run, obviously with the right power levels of course. But I just dunno, like I said, im not out to get ya or start anything. 129 was scary in a car like ours, couldnt imagine going any higher than that lol. But Im not as concerned about top speed as I am about acceleration. What good is top speed if it takes you longer to attain it than someone else? Anyways, kinda trying to put this thread back on track, good luck with your turbo setup.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Highest I have experienced was 138 at the rev limiter in 5th.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by senate6268
ditto! (but rev limit in 4th, cuz im auto)
Old Dec 23, 2009, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by senate6268
138 before of after boosting? and also cant you change rev limit when doing evu flash?
Old Dec 23, 2009, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

You can if you want to blow things up.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

The only way you can change the rev limit is with an evo ecu as the limit location hasnt been defined in ecuflash for the base lancers. And the engine is fine to red line up to 7k, there just wouldnt be any benefit unless you had a lot of top end mods. The valves and springs are actually stable up to 8500k Ive heard. But that was on a mirage and with stock mirage compression. Our valvetrains are the same thing but our engines are higher comp so the pistons are a little closer to the valves. Not to say you shouldnt upgrade them though.

Last edited by imalancerman; Dec 23, 2009 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply: turbo kits and the life span of our cars