Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

turbo kits and the life span of our cars

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo kits and the life span of our cars

realistcally speaking, what is the life span of the 4G94 engine with a turbo with low psi... thinking about it but am affarid of messing up my engine for only 200whp if that. thanks guys
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope it's pretty long, because I'm turbo'd and have 160k on my motor now
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:56 PM

really! thats great to hear! wow really considering this now... how many miles of that were on t with the turbo... how much psi are you running.. auto or manual... how is reliability? sorry for all these questions but just doing my Homework before i make any major purchases. thanks bro!
Old Sep 10, 2009, 03:02 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

had 100k on car when i turboed mine and now have just over 133k

josh
Old Sep 10, 2009, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

I have one full year of 7 to 10 psi on my 02 lancer automatic. No problems. I do check all the lines, pipes and fittings every week or so and change the oil all the time just for giggles.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 12:03 AM

nice to see so many high milage lancers... i wonder what car in this forum has been running their turbo the longest? keep the info coming guys... i just might get an rrm kit
Old Sep 11, 2009, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TheTransporter
really! thats great to hear! wow really considering this now... how many miles of that were on t with the turbo... how much psi are you running.. auto or manual... how is reliability? sorry for all these questions but just doing my Homework before i make any major purchases. thanks bro!
130k on it when I first put the the turbo on the car.
Running 7-8psi with a FMU(about to switch to 440cc injectors).
Auto and besides blowing an intercooler pipe every now and then (probably 5 times in the last year) it's just as reliable as it was before.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 06:12 AM
JRR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ThunderOZ
besides blowing an intercooler pipe every now and then (probably 5 times in the last year) it's just as reliable as it was before.
i know that one. i had the same problem, but then i bought some vibrant clamps and havent had a problem since.

SOON, i will have a whole new set of injen upper and lower pipes with an injen intake as well, so my old ones will be up for sale.

the rrm kit is nice, but for the price you can build your own and save a few bux. i think on my initial build i saved about 1500 bux which is quite a bit and i think others have saved even more.

josh
Old Sep 12, 2009, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Go custom!!!!! That what I am doing although I am just over $2k now I am almost done but this includes everything in my sig, Clutch, injectors, FMIC, Full 3" exhaust, ARP Head studs, all the gauges, engine management and alot more. My car is at 83k miles now Iam hoping to turbo it before my next oil change so I can just switch to the heavier wieght
Old Sep 16, 2009, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03lances
Go custom!!!!! That what I am doing although I am just over $2k now I am almost done but this includes everything in my sig, Clutch, injectors, FMIC, Full 3" exhaust, ARP Head studs, all the gauges, engine management and alot more. My car is at 83k miles now Iam hoping to turbo it before my next oil change so I can just switch to the heavier wieght

id say custom or used...
i spent a lot on RRM stuff used... not sure if it was to much or what.. but i can look forward to no fitment problems

ill be around 2500 when im done ill just be using an FPR and 330 injectors
not sure about gauges,... with gauges and random cosmetic and precautionary stuff i may be at 3k when im done.. not to bad...

3" exahust is to big though... you need SOME back pressure... you lose to much torque... says the experts (which are note me)
Old Sep 16, 2009, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

I have a custom built turbo kit but i am pushing 19lbs of boost so my life span is hard to say. but custom built is the way to go. if you want to go custom i have a source for tubular 16g turbo manioflds and i also have a brand new evo 9 turbo for sale.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OZboyee
id say custom or used...
i spent a lot on RRM stuff used... not sure if it was to much or what.. but i can look forward to no fitment problems

ill be around 2500 when im done ill just be using an FPR and 330 injectors
not sure about gauges,... with gauges and random cosmetic and precautionary stuff i may be at 3k when im done.. not to bad...

3" exahust is to big though... you need SOME back pressure... you lose to much torque... says the experts (which are note me)
IDK I am definately not an expert either but I wanna be good and not have to do exhaust again when I drop in my next project motor with all forged internals and built head BTW Zulu is running the same exhaust setup as me and he was tuned 5psi 180hp and over 190 Trq so if that is a torque loss I can handle that.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

IDK I am definately not an expert either but I wanna be good and not have to do exhaust again when I drop in my next project motor with all forged internals and built head BTW Zulu is running the same exhaust setup as me and he was tuned 5psi 180hp and over 190 Trq so if that is a torque loss I can handle that.
lol well about the torque loss idk i hear 2.5 is as big as you should go... Rob from RRM actually told me 2.25 was best... but idk

but yeah it sounds like you doing the same thing as me, but are just a little ahead of me! when i get m turbo set up done and on the car ill start a on a new engine from the block up!!! maybe a mivec DOHC head??? hmmmm??? lol
good luck bro!
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OZboyee
lol well about the torque loss idk i hear 2.5 is as big as you should go... Rob from RRM actually told me 2.25 was best... but idk

but yeah it sounds like you doing the same thing as me, but are just a little ahead of me! when i get m turbo set up done and on the car ill start a on a new engine from the block up!!! maybe a mivec DOHC head??? hmmmm??? lol
good luck bro!
Cool man are you going to be pro tuned? or use ecuflash or a piggy or something?
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:29 AM
Evolving Member

Cool man are you going to be pro tuned? or use ecuflash or a piggy or something?
haha im doing it the cheap way for now... using an FPR lol.... ill get something later down the road..

Quick Reply: turbo kits and the life span of our cars