Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

RRM turbo for pzev issues

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2009, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RRM turbo for pzev issues

I have to know, since it’s the weekend and I’m on my own-has anyone out there with a 07 and up Cali Lancer with the RRM turbo had the issues I’m having. Let’s begin...one my waste gate tube that feeds to the down pipe was a little too long bout a quarter of an inch. I couldn’t believe it. Down goes part one? Two, RRM warned me I may have about an inch gap between the exhaust and the downpipe and that I may worse case have to drive to a muffler shop and tweak it. Sounds minor right? Well that inch turned out to be three and a half plus I don’t have an O2 bung in the down pipe so even with it on Id have no O2s to run the car on. ... ....Three, While coming up with a plan I went to the pipes to do what I could...no brackets anywhere what’s so ever so I couldn’t mount the I/C. Four, I was given two flanges to help fill the exhaust gap by RRM. I had an idea; I didn’t want to tamper with the actual kit really (in case of a possible swap out) so I took measures and drove the 67 miles to a descent muffler shop. I had the waste gate tube slightly shortened and a "test pipe" made to fill the gap. I was dead on when I got back home and sized them up. .. ..Oops, one of the flanges I got isn’t right, and it won’t bolt up to my car. At this point I threw the wrench. I found myself putting in too much work for a kit of this price and not universal. I know that this stuff is recoverable but to be honest I got the RRM kit because I literally have nothing around me here and going here and there isn’t so easy for me and thus I wanted the most complete and ready kit. I trusted it so much I didn’t scrutinize it and low and behold I’m going to be set back drastic. I only get 4 days off a month-in a row and these are them now. 5am to 6 or 7 pm work days is common place and nobodies going to wait for me to drive at least 37 miles to the nearest town or 67 to the nearest town that actually has some stuff I could apply to cars to get stuff done. So my frustrations are a lil high. From the looks of my problem areas the attention to detail regarding the kit in every detail is for the Fed car.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like another awesome RRM product.

Maybe V.2 of the turbo will have pieces that fit the car correctly!
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:07 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

wow... that sucks..im sorry that you have to go through that.. you would expect that for +$4000 everything would fit..
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

**** i would be pissed too if i purchased a turbo and everything didn't fit right. for 4000$+ dayum.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LegendsoWicked
I have to know, since it’s the weekend and I’m on my own-has anyone out there with a 07 and up Cali Lancer with the RRM turbo had the issues I’m having. Let’s begin...

one my waste gate tube that feeds to the down pipe was a little too long bout a quarter of an inch. I couldn’t believe it. Down goes part one?

Two, RRM warned me I may have about an inch gap between the exhaust and the downpipe and that I may worse case have to drive to a muffler shop and tweak it. Sounds minor right? Well that inch turned out to be three and a half plus I don’t have an O2 bung in the down pipe so even with it on Id have no O2s to run the car on. ... ....

Three, While coming up with a plan I went to the pipes to do what I could...no brackets anywhere what’s so ever so I couldn’t mount the I/C.

Four, I was given two flanges to help fill the exhaust gap by RRM. I had an idea; I didn’t want to tamper with the actual kit really (in case of a possible swap out) so I took measures and drove the 67 miles to a descent muffler shop. I had the waste gate tube slightly shortened and a "test pipe" made to fill the gap. I was dead on when I got back home and sized them up. .. ..Oops, one of the flanges I got isn’t right, and it won’t bolt up to my car.

At this point I threw the wrench. I found myself putting in too much work for a kit of this price and not universal. I know that this stuff is recoverable but to be honest I got the RRM kit because I literally have nothing around me here and going here and there isn’t so easy for me and thus I wanted the most complete and ready kit. I trusted it so much I didn’t scrutinize it and low and behold I’m going to be set back drastic. I only get 4 days off a month-in a row and these are them now. 5am to 6 or 7 pm work days is common place and nobodies going to wait for me to drive at least 37 miles to the nearest town or 67 to the nearest town that actually has some stuff I could apply to cars to get stuff done. So my frustrations are a lil high. From the looks of my problem areas the attention to detail regarding the kit in every detail is for the Fed car.
Fixed
Old Oct 4, 2009, 08:56 AM

What do you mean by fixed exactly? Same probs? Sad but true that I hope Im not the only one so I can avoid the "we have "X" amount out there with no problems" routine. I feel I've done my cooperative part by almost completely wasting over a hundred bucks running around and trying to work my way around stuff. If you've had these problems how did you end up getting it resolved? I figure send the down pipe back to get adjusted, time is becoming of no importance because by the time I find time to get down and get it done myself I could have had it shipped and back probably three times(Yes, its really that serious). I got an idea to mount the I/C but the way I look at it I shouldn’t waste my time since I paid for that stuff and didn’t get it. All this makes me wonder what else could be a little off once I get moving again. I was also told the sealant mentioned in the instructions were included, but I didn’t get that either. Im bummed, I sure the kit will be good in time and Im not bashing quality here but I really expected an almost drop and go kit like these other guys on here its like Im always on the blooper reels.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 12:35 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

he said fixed because you just type in a wall of text.. you need to learn how to type in paragraphs..
Old Oct 4, 2009, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

for the price your paying it should be a complete kit with proper sized tubing makes me hesistant of considering this turbo kit hopefully more kits come out soon
Old Oct 4, 2009, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dropped a good amount of cash and there's still work that needs to be done? That's not right. Let's see what RRM has to say.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jRox
Dropped a good amount of cash and there's still work that needs to be done? That's not right. Let's see what RRM has to say.
x2.. lol coming soon "RRM Turbo Kit v2" now with right fitment straight out of the box!

but on topic man i would call up there and rant until they replace you with the correct parts..i remember seeing your post in other threads going crazy about getting the kit..and to see your situation now kinda sucks...keep us updated on what goes on with your situation because i would be hella pissed being over charged for a turbo kit first of all..and 2nd having everything not fit and work as its supposed to.

Last edited by JHizzle; Oct 4, 2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 06:26 AM

Update-more bad luck but not because of the kit. I was at a hobby shop with my tube and old header trying to clean some stuff up. I went all the way till close and I think the guy next to me scoped up my wastegate tube in his hurry. I couldnt find it anywhere!

I got the rest of the kit done minus I/C mount and downpipe tweaked but now I need another wastegate tube!!! Agh
Old Oct 5, 2009, 11:01 AM

Talked to RRM about what I got going. They're being very helpful. Should be squared away soon. I also filled him in on how my fuel was a little different too, no issue to get done but FYI just in case others get confused.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 08:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Everything is squared away to my knowledge. Just sorry we do not work Sundays! Monday fixes all.

ROAD/RACE
Old Oct 8, 2009, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

not from what ive seen him post in the other thread... i dont get it you said you went over most of it..so you told the guy the tubes wouldnt fit and he would have a bunch a difficulties? dosent seem like thats the buyers perception