Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

air leaking from Turbo Seal?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2009, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation air leaking from Turbo Seal?

First, I have the RRM T28 turbo kit. I have a leak in the area that I pointed out in the picture, I think thats between a seal and the housing not sure. But You can kind of see a gap there. It's bad enuff to make smoke come out the tailpipe and it leaves the front of my crank case black with smoke. It accelerates poorly, loud tapping noise like a diesel truck when I accelerate.

My question is... Can I just get it welded shut? The shop that would be able to fix the leak is plannin to take off the turbo and do a rebuild. Which they are chargin me a sh..load for labor. I found this online, I think this is what can fix it? Then again I would need the shop to install it, and they chargin for the labor.

http://www.gpopshop.com/garrettt2kits.html
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
to have a gap there would mean one or more bolts r loose.. you might need to remove the turbo to reach the 1 or 2 bolts u cant see in the pictures to tighten them.

can u just weld it? No.
does the turbo need to be built? um.. if that one leak is all the problem, then no it doesnt need to be rebuilt.. if its a RRM kit u purchased, then that turbo is brand new..

has anyone else had this problem with the bolts on the hotside of the turbo? all those r for are loosening the hotside so you have clock the turbo any direction you want, i would assume that a couple of the bolts have worked there way loose.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
+1

I would start with checking the bolts to make sure they are tight. You don't want to weld that seam together. You have 2 difference types of metal, one of which is cast. It wouldn't turn out well.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by somelancerguy61

First, I have the RRM T28 turbo kit. I have a leak in the area that I pointed out in the picture, I think thats between a seal and the housing not sure. But You can kind of see a gap there. It's bad enuff to make smoke come out the tailpipe and it leaves the front of my crank case black with smoke. It accelerates poorly, loud tapping noise like a diesel truck when I accelerate.

My question is... Can I just get it welded shut? The shop that would be able to fix the leak is plannin to take off the turbo and do a rebuild. Which they are chargin me a sh..load for labor. I found this online, I think this is what can fix it? Then again I would need the shop to install it, and they chargin for the labor.

http://www.gpopshop.com/garrettt2kits.html

where does that piece from the intake, like the silver part that parts off into two outlets. where does the smaller outlet go to? I know where the intake goes to
Old Dec 18, 2009, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
So the obvious bolt tightening is not an option?
Old Dec 18, 2009, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
we occasionally(daily) get very newb questions that i think ponder the question, 'how did, err, why did, err.. wth? and you have a turbo on your lancer? and you dont know basic mechanical stuff'

not trying to poke fun, its a daily thing out of many many different people.. basic mechanical knowledge and not being scared to break something is how you learn..

start by tightening the bolts.. if u cant reach them all, then u will have to take the turbo off and tighten them then put the turbo back on.. if your scared to do that, then i think u should find another hobby. (i mean, i hate to hear people say i spend x amount of dollars at the mechanic shop just to fix something small and stupid) and it always happens..
if that does fix the problem, well you will need to take the turbo off either way and examine it further. u should be able to dissasemble it completely yourself with basic tools.

if your only feeling air in that area, and arent 1000000% sure its coming from there, it could be the gasket that goes between the turbo and the turbo manifold flange that needs to be replaced(more likely the culprit if your not 100% sure its coming from that specific place on the turbo)

Last edited by Demon_ni2; Dec 18, 2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
ok well forget the question I posted on top.

Ok so I installed the stainless steel housing on my turbo well on of the bolts got F***** up so I have only four, the fifth bolt is on the outside where the housing comes to a point like above the pipe thats coming down. Will I be fine with four bolts on there or do i need all five. I'm nervous about loosing boost if it won't seal.

I'm having some guy drill into the bolt and put a smaller one in with two nuts on the side to sqeeze it in place so I hope that helps... any help on what should I do?
Old Dec 19, 2009, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried tightening the bolts and still no go. I believe I might have to dissasemble it. And demon is right. I didn't expect all sorts of problems when turboed. If i could go back and fix my mistakes I would. But for now I have to get this crap fixed so i can drive my own car to work