Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

turbo help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2009, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo help

so im trying to get everything together that i need to turbo my car. i have the full rrm kit, but i think im still missing a few things. i still need to pick up gauges, a boost controller and some other things.. i just curious as to what is the best way to go as far as fuel management is concerned?
here's a picture of pretty much everything i have, i also have a walbro 255 fuel pump ad a rrm header/turbo manifold but those are currently on the car..

things i have..
turbo
turbo mani
big fmic
all intercooler piping
vortech fuel pressure regulator
cai
walboro 255
tial 38mm wastegate
greddy rs bov
all vaccume lines
oil inlet and return lines
io you can think of anything else i need in order to get it installed with a decent tune, please let me know. also im planning on doing ecu flash for the base tune, so i dont know if makes a difference on what i need as far as fuel management is concerned.. any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks guys, Carl
Old Dec 20, 2009, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
u dont need a boost controller, fuel wise that fmu should do you just fine up to about 7psi.
wrx440cc injectors are normally recommended cuz you can get them for cheap. a fpr will be required if u wanna push more then 7psi. and id recommend getting a decent wideband so you can monitor you air fuel ratio properly.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Demon_ni2
u dont need a boost controller, fuel wise that fmu should do you just fine up to about 7psi.
wrx440cc injectors are normally recommended cuz you can get them for cheap. a fpr will be required if u wanna push more then 7psi. and id recommend getting a decent wideband so you can monitor you air fuel ratio properly.
ok well i hear that supposedly those apexi safc's are doo doo as far as tuning, but would it be ok just for monitoring my air/fuel ratio? i dont really have the cash for a zeitronix wide band right now.. also im not looking to push more than 7lbs at the moment, so is it still neccesary to have a fpr?
Old Dec 20, 2009, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Using the SAFC for air/fuel would not be a good idea because it simply repeats the stock narrowband O2 signal. It's wideband for tuning or a potential blown motor from a bad tune. Which, on our 4G94 motors, is easy to do from a bad tune even at low boost. I would also recommend against the FMU and stick with a either a static rate FPR and tune with EcuFlash or a boost pressure rising rate FPR and you can be a bit lax on the tuning.

Either way, a wideband is essential. There is no two ways around it.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by senate6268
Using the SAFC for air/fuel would not be a good idea because it simply repeats the stock narrowband O2 signal. It's wideband for tuning or a potential blown motor from a bad tune. Which, on our 4G94 motors, is easy to do from a bad tune even at low boost. I would also recommend against the FMU and stick with a either a static rate FPR and tune with EcuFlash or a boost pressure rising rate FPR and you can be a bit lax on the tuning.

Either way, a wideband is essential. There is no two ways around it.
kool thanks for the info senate. also would it be better to go with the rrm turbo piggy instead of ecuflash?
Old Dec 21, 2009, 02:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 on the ecuflash its really not that hard to use watch these videos it will really help jumpstart you.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:02 AM
JRR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crf inc.
kool thanks for the info senate. also would it be better to go with the rrm turbo piggy instead of ecuflash?
ecu flash is definatley the way to go, but if yur looking for a "piggy" i have my 5th injector setup from my initial build up for sale in my sig. it allows you to keep your 4 stock injectors and then this one only comes in under boost.

josh
Old Dec 21, 2009, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JRR
ecu flash is definatley the way to go, but if yur looking for a "piggy" i have my 5th injector setup from my initial build up for sale in my sig. it allows you to keep your 4 stock injectors and then this one only comes in under boost.

josh
alright so if i do EcuFlash am i gonna for sure have to upgrade my injectors to the 440's? and how well does that 5th injector set up work? if i were to run the 5th injector does that mean i dont have to tune the car to put more fuel in the stock injectors? also i have a walbro 255 so i dont know if that makes a difference
Old Dec 21, 2009, 05:09 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

alright so if i do EcuFlash am i gonna for sure have to upgrade my injectors to the 440's? and how well does that 5th injector set up work? if i were to run the 5th injector does that mean i dont have to tune the car to put more fuel in the stock injectors? also i have a walbro 255 so i dont know if that makes a difference
ecu flash allows you to really mess with your computer in the car, you can change everything, and thats the nice part of it.

i was running 7psi all day with the 5th injector setup with no problems, as for i had it running off of my fpr line from the fpr to the im. the only thing i had to tune with the 5th injector is just the 5th injector, everything else stayed the same. and im still to this day running the stock fuel pump, so with a 255 you will be fine.

josh
Old Dec 21, 2009, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JRR
ecu flash allows you to really mess with your computer in the car, you can change everything, and thats the nice part of it.

i was running 7psi all day with the 5th injector setup with no problems, as for i had it running off of my fpr line from the fpr to the im. the only thing i had to tune with the 5th injector is just the 5th injector, everything else stayed the same. and im still to this day running the stock fuel pump, so with a 255 you will be fine.

josh
thanks but i just found a shop called yimi sport tuning thats gonna charge me $400 for EcuFlash/all day dyno tune. only thing i need to get now is some wrx 440cc injectors or rc injectors. i dont have 50 posts yet so if anyone see's this and has any for sell let me know. thanks for everybody's imput
Old Dec 21, 2009, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Go to naosic and post a wtb ad
Old Dec 21, 2009, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Yea I picked up my 440's for $80 shipped.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 07:48 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

thanks but i just found a shop called yimi sport tuning thats gonna charge me $400 for EcuFlash/all day dyno tune. only thing i need to get now is some wrx 440cc injectors or rc injectors. i dont have 50 posts yet so if anyone see's this and has any for sell let me know. thanks for everybody's imput
i know where to get 4 remaned ones with warranty for $175. pm me if interested.

josh
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

paid $50 shipped for mine they work awesome!!!
Old Dec 25, 2009, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steven121
hey I know this is random but thats expensive I know a place that can turbo tune for 189 -250 dollars!!!

call this place and tell them stephen Joas told you to call I have got stuff done from them before so they will hook you up on a price .

speed innovations 1 800 773 8656
ok i'll check them out. but where are they located? and do they just program ecu's and send them out? or do they program/flash it and tune it on a dyno right in front of you?

Quick Reply: turbo help