Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

any regrets on turbo for lancer?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sicktght311
From the research i've done so far i've compiled the following list to get the car up and turbo'd running 5-6psi max

-EVO X stock manifold (plus brackets)
-EVO X stock Turbo
-Replacement wastegate actuator (might have to do a little custom work her with brackets)
-EVO X intercooler piping + some custom piping (all ebay)
-EVO X stock intercooler
-Vortech 12:1 FMU (not the ideal fuel upgrade, but i'm gonna run it while i work the kinks out then upgrade injectors and tune and ditch it)
-Greddy Type S BOV (i really have a soft spot for these)
-O2 housing (if the turbo i get doesnt come with it, can be purchased from dealership)
-Custom 2.5 to 3" downpipe (exhaust shop)
-Catback (most likely an axle back with custom piping to the cat. purchase and installed in the next couple of months tho)
-At the least, a Wideband, a boost gauge, and possibly an EGT.
-Upgraded fuel pump (evo X if it can swap in, if not then walbro)
-Oil lines all custom (not hard to do)

Save from a few odds and ends, thats all pretty easily achievable and installable for $2500 or less. With injectors and a tune (especially if i tune it myself) its prob around $2500. And yes i've installed a custom turbo before, fixed parts, custom fabbed parts,etc. The only thing i cant do is welding so stock parts are the best bet.
lol I actually just bought my own little MIG welder for small use and such, so I can now make my own parts! lol im planning on making a custom engine torque damper for my car soon, as well as a rear strut tower bar.

as far as all your parts go, looks good! as long as you have an evo X stock turbo and manifold, you CAN get an evoX downpipe/O2 housing, it will bolt up to the stock lancer exhaust, it will just be a little larger, but will be OK for low boost and to just break in the motor. when I added my 3" full exhaust, that alone literally added 20+ WHP. I highly suggest just going ahead and getting injectors, pigtails for them, and a dyno tune, or even a street flash to start off, again just to get the car running on a few lbs, and to break in the motor, then go for the dyno tune. You MUST recirculate the BOV!!!!!! When i was getting tuned, I asked if i could run VTA just for one rev-up to see what it sounded like, but it would have messed with the whole tune....you HAVE to keep all the air in the system, IN the system. an EvoX fuel pump WILL drop right in (I have an evoX pump in my car right now lol). also, I have a catless, resonatorless exhaust if you want it, with O2 bungs still in the stock location, and new hardware and gasket! Last, you need custom oil AND water lines! the EvoX turbo is also water-cooled.

good luck!
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yitzac1990
lol I actually just bought my own little MIG welder for small use and such, so I can now make my own parts! lol im planning on making a custom engine torque damper for my car soon, as well as a rear strut tower bar.

as far as all your parts go, looks good! as long as you have an evo X stock turbo and manifold, you CAN get an evoX downpipe/O2 housing, it will bolt up to the stock lancer exhaust, it will just be a little larger, but will be OK for low boost and to just break in the motor. when I added my 3" full exhaust, that alone literally added 20+ WHP. I highly suggest just going ahead and getting injectors, pigtails for them, and a dyno tune, or even a street flash to start off, again just to get the car running on a few lbs, and to break in the motor, then go for the dyno tune. You MUST recirculate the BOV!!!!!! When i was getting tuned, I asked if i could run VTA just for one rev-up to see what it sounded like, but it would have messed with the whole tune....you HAVE to keep all the air in the system, IN the system. an EvoX fuel pump WILL drop right in (I have an evoX pump in my car right now lol). also, I have a catless, resonatorless exhaust if you want it, with O2 bungs still in the stock location, and new hardware and gasket! Last, you need custom oil AND water lines! the EvoX turbo is also water-cooled.

good luck!
yeah i already knew about recirc'ing the BOV. Same applied to the previous generation lancers. That was the bane of my existance trying to custom fab up some kind of recirc port but i got it done. I tested having the maf on the pressurized side but it cant read the pressurized air accurately, so it leaned on during partial throttle.

As for the oil and water lines, thats always pretty easy. Find your oil source, tap the oil pan, T off the heater core lines for the coolant.

I considered the injectors as well, its still up in the air. What injectors drop into the 4b12?
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sicktght311
As for the oil and water lines, thats always pretty easy. Find your oil source, tap the oil pan, T off the heater core lines for the coolant.

I considered the injectors as well, its still up in the air. What injectors drop into the 4b12?
lol you can tap into the radiator hoses for the coolant, i believe that would be easier....

im pretty sure injectors from a 4B11 would work in a 4B12, so I guess just find some upgraded evoX injectors or something. I had 480cc Bosch injectors, but when I made the power that I did (27x+ whp), my tuner recommended getting bigger ones, like 550ccs, but I never got the chance to do so! haha
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:11 PM
Account Disabled

ive got a set of evo x injectors if anyone needs
Old Jan 29, 2010, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kmc8302
ive got a set of evo x injectors if anyone needs
Whats the cc on evo injectors? Dont need em, just curious
Old Jan 29, 2010, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure 560cc
Old Jan 29, 2010, 09:04 AM
Account Disabled

Some one tested them on here they were ~600cc
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Hmm, thats pretty much overkill for a turbo GTS application. Do we know of any other injectors that drop in? I would assume ralliarts are somewhere in the 500s then, but still overkill.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, Bosch has 480cc injectors, I think for the EvoX will work, but im not sure. Also, when I made all the power that I did, I was told it would be a good idea to upgrade to 550cc injectors. food for thought lol
Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
RRM says does not make it a fact.
RRM Also said the V1 intake drops a full second off your 0-60, and that you gain 5hp from a pully
Old Feb 5, 2010, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, Bosch has 480cc injectors, I think for the EvoX will work, but im not sure. Also, when I made all the power that I did, I was told it would be a good idea to upgrade to 550cc injectors. food for thought lol
Were you using the bosch? For 6-8psi anything over 500cc seems pointless. You'd be tuning back the fuel maps heavily during non boost conditions.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

yeah I was using the Bosch, but that was when I was on 9-10 lbs and 276 whp.....lol
Old Feb 26, 2010, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

yeah I was using the Bosch, but that was when I was on 9-10 lbs and 276 whp.....lol
Hi,do you mind if I ask you some questions about your setup?? do you change internals?? or running on stocks internals? At what psi you blew the motor?? What psi do you recommend to run on a 4b12 stock internals with complete evo x turbo parts( manifold, turbine, injectors, intercooler etc) I have all those parts and my car with the 4B12 open( brake 2 rods and 1 piston due to water). Looking for stronger rods and pistons to be installed if there were ones that fit.

To run safe with stock internals, some says 5-6 psi, but you run 9-10 safe? or thats why your engine blew?

I really appreciate your answers. I'm running out of time.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turbotech
Hi,do you mind if I ask you some questions about your setup?? do you change internals?? or running on stocks internals? At what psi you blew the motor?? What psi do you recommend to run on a 4b12 stock internals with complete evo x turbo parts( manifold, turbine, injectors, intercooler etc) I have all those parts and my car with the 4B12 open( brake 2 rods and 1 piston due to water). Looking for stronger rods and pistons to be installed if there were ones that fit.

To run safe with stock internals, some says 5-6 psi, but you run 9-10 safe? or thats why your engine blew?

I really appreciate your answers. I'm running out of time.
PMed! lol
Old Feb 26, 2010, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

wow!!!!!finally decided !!! im going turbo this firstr week of april so ill let you know the details later !! thanks guys!!

Quick Reply: any regrets on turbo for lancer?