Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

RRM Turbo Guys This Way Please...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2010, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RRM Turbo Guys This Way Please...

SO i've been running a mirage radiator for some time now as it was a cheap replacement for my oem radiator that i punctured. Since then my car has been overheating in heavy traffic so im looking to upgrade to a alluminum Mishimoto or CBRD. I read that the EVO ones will fit so I am basing my choices on evo 7-8 options.
BUT the problem is that I do not remember how much room I have between the radiator and the turbo and if there is any more room to fit a thicker radiator in its place. I need to get a radiator that has the upper radiator hose located towards the drivers side as the turbo I am running is a 16g and the radiator hose just barely reaches as it stands.
So any RRM turbo guys running the J-pipe setup with either the t25 or the t28 could you please post up some shots of the clearance between the turbo and the radiator. Maybe put something in the gap for reference EX: a finger, penny etc. I need to see the clearance with a OEM radiator and RRM turbo kits only please. 2002-2003 FYI thanks in advance
Old Mar 8, 2010, 07:49 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We make a variety of evo radiators, not just one..

we offer one that has more clearance than stock, but cools significantly better... or double pass versions etc..

let me know if we can help.

in my opinion, you simply cant compare a mishimoto to our radiators.

cb
Old Mar 8, 2010, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm currently running a CBRD full size Evo VIII radiator and I absolutely love it. Since the core is slimmer than a stock core I gained some room over my half size aluminum radiator.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

Senate you fit a full size radiator in?! Looks kinda tight judging by the pic in your profile... any pics of it after?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sykou
Senate you fit a full size radiator in?! Looks kinda tight judging by the pic in your profile... any pics of it after?
I had the downpipe tweaked before the install to free up some room since it made such a wide turn toward the condenser. I didn't have to worry about clearance then because I was running the half size radiator. The CBRD radiator runs a slimmer core so it fits pretty much like a stock Lancer radiator, maybe even with more room. I don't have any recent pics of my engine bay. I'll try to snap some the next time I get a chance. I definitely get alot of compliments on the radiator and CBRD's quality is second to none.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

Cool. ya pics would be great. Im just gona trust everyone and go with cbrd for sure tho but i gotta know what size i can fit in there first.... hmmmm
Old Mar 9, 2010, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CBRD
We make a variety of evo radiators, not just one..

we offer one that has more clearance than stock, but cools significantly better... or double pass versions etc..

let me know if we can help.

in my opinion, you simply cant compare a mishimoto to our radiators.

cb
thanks for the reply. im gona have to figure out the room i have to work with but if you dont mind could you send me some dimensions of the radiators you have available. Im most likely looking for something along the lines of stock size, but any info is appreciated.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

so I guess problem is solved?
Old Mar 11, 2010, 06:24 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sykou
thanks for the reply. im gona have to figure out the room i have to work with but if you dont mind could you send me some dimensions of the radiators you have available. Im most likely looking for something along the lines of stock size, but any info is appreciated.
We have sooo many its hard to just pick one without specific information,

our 1.25" EVO radiator offers the same exact clearance as stock with superior cooling and a straight hose up top.

we also have drop in OEM replacement rads now that use the stock upper hose!

cb
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd start by changing the t-stat before going with a new rad.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

I decided i am going to try the 1.25" rad from CBRD. With the relocated upper hose neck so i can run the upper radiator hose no problem. Now I just gota find a hose that shape...hmmm... maybe i'll change the thermostat out too since im gonna be doing the rad. easy job. I've been putting off this radiator change for a while too so i guess its time.
Normal oil temps i see are 180 degrees regular and 210+ in traffic. This is when it overheats.... SO i will try change thermostat, change radiator, and hopefully it will solve my problem.

Chad - you got a PM about the hose.. hope ya can help me out.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Good stuff
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Hey lancer guys. I have a question for yall. My friend just called me with a problem, and I am not sure how to help him, so I am coming to you guys for some help. He drives a 04 lancer ralliart with the rrm turbo kit. He said his car isnt starting. It is trying to start but wont start. He isnt smelling any fuel so that eliminates some things. He has a new set of plugs that the rrm kit came with but he hasnt put those in. I told him to swap the plugs, make sure they are gapped right and see if that works. My guess is his plugs are charcol black right now. I also told him to check all of his fuses. Any ideas? He is stuck right now at his house and might be forced to tow and spend buku amount of dollars to fix it in our crappy expensive city. Any help from yall would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ssg_petty_210; Mar 20, 2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
could be a foied plug or somethings hooked up wrong or not hooked up period.
is he installing the rrm kit for the first time? or has it been on the the car for a while and working fine.. if its a fresh install, id assume that somethings hooked up wrong.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

It has been on the car for about 3 months now. RRM installed it and the car has been tuned with it. This just out of the blue happened.

Quick Reply: RRM Turbo Guys This Way Please...