Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.
View Poll Results: Supercharge or Turbo
Supercharge
36.74%
Turbo
63.26%
Voters: 362. You may not vote on this poll

Supercharge or Turbo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2004, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pretty strong words there man. Reason I posted this is that turbo guys have done nothing but flame Ross and Ripp for coming up with a new Kit that could very well be as popular as the RRM kit. Read through the SC threads and there wouldnt be a thread out there without flames from RRM turbo guys. My point is that nobody was bashing peoples threads when RRM first came up with their kit. I dont have have either but one thing is for sure, I wont get an RRM Kit, and blow my motor. I want reliable horsepowers, less maintenance, on stock internals (incase something goes wrong its still under warranty) , and less money for people who wants performance but less work and money. Dont misunderstand and so, YOU SHUT THE **** UP!
Old Feb 17, 2004, 02:23 PM
.L.
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Guru_Del
hey Ross,

Do you have a dyno sheet of the SC lancer? I am just interested in the torque band and such.

Thanks and keep up the good work

Punk, Didnt you just do what you said others shouldnt? Take the high road and let the dyno's and time slips speak for themselves. Of which i have seen neither from either so to date I feel that this is all hear say. Yes I have an RRM kit, yes I am happy but I am not posting that it is the best ever until I have slips and dyno sheet in hand. You do the same. And if you dont have either then SHUT THE **** UP!!!!!!!!!
guru- they should have one on the rippmods website. i remember seeing one there a couple days ago.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

yes they did and they even posted it here once with their project car
Old Feb 17, 2004, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Punk8981
pretty strong words there man. Reason I posted this is that turbo guys have done nothing but flame Ross and Ripp for coming up with a new Kit that could very well be as popular as the RRM kit. Read through the SC threads and there wouldnt be a thread out there without flames from RRM turbo guys. My point is that nobody was bashing peoples threads when RRM first came up with their kit. I dont have have either but one thing is for sure, I wont get an RRM Kit, and blow my motor. I want reliable horsepowers, less maintenance, on stock internals (incase something goes wrong its still under warranty) , and less money for people who wants performance but less work and money. Dont misunderstand and so, YOU SHUT THE **** UP!
Mighty big words from a guy who has no experience with forced induction on the US Lancer. Pony up big boy and come play. While I agree that both force induction are great kits I don’t understand your fascination with RIPPS' kit, as there has been maybe 2 lancers done. I am not saying it is a bad kit, an unreliable kit, but simply an untested kit. Yes I understand other kits have run on other engines for years and many many miles, but frankly that doesn’t count. I appreciate the fact that RIPP came out with a kit, if you read through the threads, all of my posts have been positive. I think you need to keep your speculation down to a minimum, as you seem to be on the bandwagon with no proof. Frankly if I were you I would put up or shut up.

And if you dont understand any of the words you can go to http://www.merriam-webster.com/ and look em up.

.L. thanks man I will go look that up.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

i dont trust the dyno sheets ripp puts up bc they change the numbers that their SC system will produce so often
Old Feb 17, 2004, 02:46 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

First off, if this turns into RRM vs RIPP Mods I'm going to close this with the quickness. That's NOT the point of the thread.

Ross, I hope you understood I was in no way attacking you. What I'm trying to do here is weed out speculation and stick with what is concrete. Your Lancer SDS simply has not had as many applications or as many miles put on it as the RRM kit. I'm only using the RRM kit as a point of comparison because it's the most common complete turbo kit available and it would be as unfair to compare a custom TC to a SC kit as it would be to compare a custom SC to a TC kit.

Punk, I don't see how tuning a number of different cars necessarily makes their Lancer SDS better, but I give them credit where credit is due. As for looks...Well...are you looking to show or are you looking to go? Both of these kits go, no question about it. But that's not the issue here, and looks are purely subjective.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 08:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, i say anything on here and i'm attacked. After all this time, i've laid back, then i comment... there was nothing bad said at all by me.

RIPP you are taking this wrong and flaming for nothing. I told people to give the SC time as far as wear and tear goes meaning don't judge anything to soon! As for dyno sheets, fudged or not, people want them and should get them. Hell RRM has had to provide many why not RIPP. Even if numbers are fudged, which would be revealed anyway, people are looking at the power bands as well. I think your going off on big time when there is no need. {thumbdn}

Then Hobie gets attacked and he's an independant who is doing fine on his own. Sure he's down and out right now but he's learned a lot and getting it done!

Hell in another post i even commented on how customers demands for the best, proof, and real world time on the road have lead to vendors having to stay honest and produce what they say!! This has lead to the developement of many products that are really good including your SC.

I want to see one not just to challenge it as everyone knows that, but i want to see the work involved and look. I've seen your work before, wasn't pleased but one bad experience won't keep me away from wanting to do another install of your SC.

Flashing all your kits and cars really means nothing as most of those cars have been turbo'd as well and run fine for years. You posted that and in reality negated the point you were trying to make. {thumbdn}

You have a good product that should be reliable... is it the best?? That is up to the customers to decide. Will i fight for RRM, sure as i'm a big fan of theirs! But more importantly i'm a big lancer fan and power is power. Hell when i got my car there was nothing and then RRM came into the scene. Your a late bloomer but things look good for you. Please stop taking things so personally and just make a good product for the lancer. That is what everyone, including myself, wants to see!

Hobie thanks for the unbiased opinions and statements.

To others who think i'm in the wrong here then fire away but i think i'm actually being the sensable one, for a change!
Old Feb 17, 2004, 09:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FACT: NO RRM TURBO KIT HAS EVER FAILED DUE TO DESIGN OR PART FAILURE. ONLY FAILURES HAVE BEEN DUE TO OVERBOOSTING AND INCOMPETENT INSTALL!

FACT: I DON'T CARE ABOUT SUPERCHARGERS!

FACT: THERE IS NO STAGE 2 RRM TURBO KIT TO DATE! SOMEONE IN MAKING STUFF UP!

FACT: PEOPLE ARE SPECULATING AND DO NOT REPRESENTING RRM EXCEPT ME!

Moderators need to reprimand any official vendor who blatantly lies or misleads members with regards to other vendors and their products.

I will speak to Mark Mondarressi. Hobie, please forward this thread to Mark.

ROAD/RACE
Old Feb 17, 2004, 09:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
RIPPMODS is not a paying vendor on this forum. I apologize for missing that.

ROAD/RACE
Old Feb 18, 2004, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Guru_Del

Mighty big words from a guy who has no experience with forced induction on the US Lancer. Pony up big boy and come play. While I agree that both force induction are great kits I don’t understand your fascination with RIPPS' kit, as there has been maybe 2 lancers done. I am not saying it is a bad kit, an unreliable kit, but simply an untested kit. Yes I understand other kits have run on other engines for years and many many miles, but frankly that doesn’t count. I appreciate the fact that RIPP came out with a kit, if you read through the threads, all of my posts have been positive. I think you need to keep your speculation down to a minimum, as you seem to be on the bandwagon with no proof. Frankly if I were you I would put up or shut up.

And if you dont understand any of the words you can go to http://www.merriam-webster.com/ and look em up.

.L. thanks man I will go look that up.
hahahah Guy thinks he knows better. Clearly he misread my lines and the point of my post. Im not trying to flame RRM. im talking about the RRM turbo guys who are posting stupid comments thru Ripp's threads. I just thought its wrong to be posting negative comments to whats supposed to be very informative threads. Lets know more about this SDS kit first before we even try to post stupid stuff. Like i said, just like when RRM came up with their turbo, nobody flamed any of their kit. Dont misunderstand my post, I want to learn more about the Ripp kit which is potentially a good power source for our cars. and Guru_Del, you think you know so much, would you like me or my female friends teach you how to drive stick first?! LOL

Last edited by Punk8981; Feb 18, 2004 at 07:33 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by .L.

i agree with you on one point hobie. "I'm failing to see how turbocharging your engine is anymore risky." ANY type of forced induction is going to cause stress on a motor, no matter what type.

in general....i for one, do not like the rrm turbo kit (thats my opinion though.....but as you see, i'm not hating/bashing). now obviously turbos can be very powerful if done right. the only downside we've seen is that our motors do not take well to average-high boost without some internal work (on turbos). most dont have the money or the time, too much of a hassle, or do not see the point. i think most would agree that it's unpractical to tear apart basically a brand new car, just to prepare it for moderate boost. like most people have bluntly said, "you shoulda' just bought an evo". i think most are TRYING to save a buck or two. so that way they have a fun, reliable car to drive around in, without the high cost. most people/professionals would agree that supercharging is a great way to accomplish this. vortech has had much success with its integra/civic/s2000 kits. they produce great power, with great reliability. dosent matter 4cyl or not. maybe in the past. i think people should either post facts, or not post at all. its ridiculous for people to start bashing on one another for matter of opinion. if people dont like something they should simply say "its not for me", thats it.....plain and simple. like ross said, we'll see when its all said and done. the more options the better. isnt that what its all about? seriously? i think everything is getting misunderstood. a major points is ..... what type of kit can produce good horsepower while still being reliable. thats basically what it all comes down to.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Punk8981

hahahah Guy thinks he knows better. Clearly he misread my lines and the point of my post. Im not trying to flame RRM. im talking about the RRM turbo guys who are posting stupid comments thru Ripp's threads. I just thought its wrong to be posting negative comments to whats supposed to be very informative threads. Lets know more about this SDS kit first before we even try to post stupid stuff. Like i said, just like when RRM came up with their turbo, nobody flamed any of their kit. Dont misunderstand my post, I want to learn more about the Ripp kit which is potentially a good power source for our cars. and Guru_Del, you think you know so much, would you like me or my female friends teach you how to drive stick first?! LOL
Actually you are the one who said you wanted to go fast without blowing up engines, well as ROCK stated, to date no RRM kit has ever blown an engine while still running the preset settings and installed correctly so you are already lying about stuff you dont know.

As for driving stick, I do, my weekend cars are stick however I commute for 2 hours each way to my job in traffic, frankly stick didn’t sound fun to me.

So to assume you know anything about me is asinine and wrong because frankly you don’t know me from every other guy on the street.

I have said many times that it is potentially a good kit however it is not proven and the fact that they have made it work on other engines doesn’t matter as this is a different car, engine etc and until a dyno sheet that shows the numbers that they are claiming is posted (or till they post those numbers on their own website) I am calling B.S.

And I appreciate your point of view and how you have gracefully back pedaled from stating how the RRM kit looks ****ty and you would never buy one, to how you are analyzing looking for a kit.

Best of luck to you as I am sure you will find your answer someday.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Wow there is soo much fighting going on lol.

I think it would be cool to take two Lancers either both stick or both auto and put them up to eachother with the same mods only one with RRM turbo and one with RIPP SDS and see who wins or what not, and what the stronger points and weak points are for each one. That would be the only true way to stop the fighting. Other than that, its pointless, its funny not to diss you guys, but your both like grown men, but acting like little kids. Its not cool, agruign wont solve anything, just put up the two cars and see who would win on the tract and let your product be your words.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

i like the arguement. you get a bit of info from each post and its interesting. they dont sound like kids to me, just normal guys and one knows how to argue on an online forums better than another.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

I never saw it as an argument, sure there was some trash talking but hey isn’t that what helps ideas flow.

I too would like to see a heads up comparison, however the two tuners are so far apart that it is unlikely that this would ever happen. That is why the call for dyno sheets and drag slips was made. We will see if either tuner decides to listen to our pleas for closure.

I hope it didn’t stop the flow of info on this as that was not my intention and I assume it wasn’t punk's either. We merely were discussing our points of view and what we would like to see. Also when I see incorrect info being stated I like to correct it. As I do not mind being corrected I assume others wouldn't mind aswell.

Quick Reply: Supercharge or Turbo