Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.
View Poll Results: Supercharge or Turbo
Supercharge
36.74%
Turbo
63.26%
Voters: 362. You may not vote on this poll

Supercharge or Turbo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2004, 09:04 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read on page 7 or somethin someone asking if they make superchargers for our lancers.. don't know if it was answered after because i got bored of reading. The answer is yes http://www.rippmods.com/products/pro...id=3&vehcId=17
It's a vortech supercharger.. I was considering getting this instead of the rrm tc because it's like $200 less and gives 50hp more. I've never seen anyone with it though.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 05:20 AM
Evolving Member

Zoo Racer

How much boost is your SDS running?

Thanks
Old Sep 22, 2004, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

currently i am boostin at 9lbs...so far no problems...i no longer have da car...i gave my car keys to my brother....and he said he raced my friends s2000 off a roll...and kept up with it...the only thing i missing is the upgraded undercrank pulley that will give me 11-12lbs of boost...

since da car is still in da family...i still rock it here and dere....and my brother will soon sign up for evom....he is a 17 yr old fool...that has more knowledge of cars then me...right now he is building a supra with his friends...and building a wrx ....
Old Sep 22, 2004, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

Hey Zoo that our crank pulley would take you to 18psi.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

is 18psi even safe? after changing internals? stock internals?
Old Sep 22, 2004, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Question 18psi?????????

is 18psi even safe? after changing internals? stock internals?
Old Sep 22, 2004, 07:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the timing and fuel were right i don't see why not... my only concern after the internals would be the vlv springs. Maybe upgrade those. Also put the lsd in since the stock spyder set won't take that much for long i'm sure.

Turbo guys have boosted 15psi dynoing at around 270whp. Thus it is all in the timing and fuel mapping once you've taken out the week links.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

You fellas in the states record some high Hp ratings! You do also use a different dyno method to us in Aus, ours is referred to as a rolling road type and records a lower figure due to each wheel being in contact with 2 rollers at all times. The two rollers (4 per axle) do absorb more energy than the single drum inertia dynos do.

However I would think that at 15psi onwards any Lancer would develop a shorter lived transmission etc etc. I have found 180Hp at wheels to be safe for long term motoring but would think 200+ to be dodgy unless the owner has plenty of spare parts money.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 03:00 PM

huh !

i have to say that both RIPP MODS and RRM are both great guys and i have baught alot of parts from both and also they are both VERY HELPFUL !and will not talk trash about either one they both make great products and i am very happy, but i think its all your preferance i chose the sds because of it being reliable and i like getting BLOWN!!!!!! ha ha ! but i have pulled mine off for the winter and i'll be back in FULL FORCE in the spring ! peace guys ! also the sds does make some serious serious power ! but i didnt dyno sorry guys !
Old Oct 23, 2004, 03:03 PM

sds

my sds is or was running about 11 or so psi max ! with the stage 2 killer power and starts everyday !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mid 2nd gear blazes the tires ! its sick !
Old Nov 4, 2004, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

turbo because a supercharger is belt run and thus will take away from the high rpms where the turbo is at its best....unless you are drag racing...then super is prolly better because u wont be getting up much faster than 100mph....the turbo makes for better highway driving and punching it to pass a car at 80...which im guessing is where the application would be for.

but if ya have a tree that happens to grow money...be like Deon Sanders: both!
Old Nov 4, 2004, 07:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was able to trap 110 on my last run... evo's have gotten way up there. Thus that speed comment isn't fully true. I do tend to agree that for the drag SC's are better although on a 4 cylinder i feel they take to much power away across the band. When you get into the bigger 4cylinders, like the ralliart, they may prove better. On 6cyl and 8cyl i say go for SC.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

Supercharger Maxed out

This looks interesting, I can help on the info

then super is prolly better because u wont be getting up much faster than 100mph....the turbo makes
I have the 4G93 in an Australian Lancer coupe, I see the equiviliant to 140 mph for a top speed under good conditions using fuel equivilent to the US 92 octane.

Even the 1.5 4G15 can get to 120 mph with S/C (not sure of the absolute speed it can get).

Superchargers of the type we use don't seem to steal to many ponies away from the wheels plenty fast for stock engines with some boost .......... plenty happy
Old Nov 5, 2004, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Keep in mind there is a trick that many don't know about.... you retard your timing around the WOT points (typically -5"hg - 1 psi) at RPM's of 1200-2500 to about 5 degrees BTDC. You can build about 20 psi at 1200 rpm's with that method and thus completely negate any advantage the supercharger had in low end boost... when in doubt turbo is always better

In some cases... there are drag cars that are known to take this to an extreme and have timing at about 20 degrees ATDC and will be able to build nearly 40 psi at 1,000 rpm's off the line running very large turbos (T4 and much bigger).
Old Nov 5, 2004, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bigvinx
my sds is or was running about 11 or so psi max ! with the stage 2 killer power and starts everyday !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mid 2nd gear blazes the tires ! its sick !
That's just kit quality and planning and user knowledge... has nothing to do with the technologies... turbos are very reliable and very easy to use once you know what you are doing.... no reliability advantage really...

Quick Reply: Supercharge or Turbo