Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.
View Poll Results: Supercharge or Turbo
Supercharge
36.74%
Turbo
63.26%
Voters: 362. You may not vote on this poll

Supercharge or Turbo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2003, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by evo_dan

How much torque you get from a turbo charger has to do with how the intake and exhaust are designed. You can get just as much torque with a turbo as a supercharger, just not as low in rpms. We're talking peak boost and torque around 2500 rpms with a turbo.
Granted.... the turbo will help in the high end, but when I think of torque, I'm thinking low end. I much prefer to have the power available under 3500 RPMs, much lower if possible. Obviously, this isn't common on a 4cyl, but the lower the power band, the more I like it.
-M
Old Feb 12, 2003, 09:08 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Personally I think I'd rather burn less gas and have less torque available at lower revs and have the high end push for when I'm in the upper revs, because that's where most non-daily (read: track, races etc) revs are kept. Big plus not to have tq in the low revs when you're driving on snow and ice as well. Far less tire spin. Just something to consider.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by HobieKopek
Personally I think I'd rather burn less gas and have less torque available at lower revs and have the high end push for when I'm in the upper revs, because that's where most non-daily (read: track, races etc) revs are kept. Big plus not to have tq in the low revs when you're driving on snow and ice as well. Far less tire spin. Just something to consider.
Well, I don't do anything on the track, I'm much more a fan of a windy country road. So I rarely get into the high end where that turbo will make a difference. Maybe a twin turbo would help, but a single would be wasted on me.

As for snow and ice, well, with more low end torque, 2nd or even 3rd gear starts eliminate starting straction problems. Although, realistically, if I had the option when I just bought this, I'd have gotten AWD and ABS, because so far I'm not impressed with the snow traction in general. It's probably the tires, but still...
-N
Old Feb 12, 2003, 09:28 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Twin would be a collosal waste of time. You'd do fine with a smaller turbo. There are plenty of turbos that will run peak HP and tq low in the powerband. You just need to pick the correct turbo for your needs and application. Even with a t25 you should spool quickly and put a decent amount to the wheels in the early and mid powerband. I'm not suggesting you do this, but I stand by turbocharging being far more practical for our engines.

I kinda take the higher gear thing in snow for granted, but I can't say I ever had problems in the snow or ice with my Lancer until I got different tires. It seemed pretty clear to me the tires were the reason I had no traction when I spun tires in third from a dead stop.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by HobieKopek
Twin would be a collosal waste of time. You'd do fine with a smaller turbo. There are plenty of turbos that will run peak HP and tq low in the powerband. You just need to pick the correct turbo for your needs and application. Even with a t25 you should spool quickly and put a decent amount to the wheels in the early and mid powerband. I'm not suggesting you do this, but I stand by turbocharging being far more practical for our engines.

I kinda take the higher gear thing in snow for granted, but I can't say I ever had problems in the snow or ice with my Lancer until I got different tires. It seemed pretty clear to me the tires were the reason I had no traction when I spun tires in third from a dead stop.
Isn't the Evo a twin-turbo? Anyway... I'm not going to be buying a turbo anytime soon due to money flow issues and I'm certainly not gonna be able to build my own as I've never even seen one up close before, so designing for my particular styles is out of the question. But I'd certainly be willing to try out a turbo if anyone with a turbo'd Lancer wants to visit me ;-)

I hate to think I should change my tires so soon - it's so wasteful when they are so new to replace them. Maybe I'll try and sell them this summer... that or burn them up enough that I won't feel bad for replacing them.
-N
Old Feb 12, 2003, 10:15 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

No, the Evolution is a single twin-scroll turbo. World of difference. TTing and inline 4 is just like flexing your wallet. Costs far outweigh benefits.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Eatdirt

Well said.. but you could get some nice power out of a V6 witha SC...

Well, I only know one SC on a 6 banger. It's the last gen T-bird, the super coupe.

Again, most domestic putting SC or TC don't do their car rights, severe maintance problems. It's up to the owner to make already right.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 11:00 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

What about SC'd 3gGT's and SC'd 6cyl Stangs? They both do quite well from what I've read (Never driven or been driven in either.)

edit: Finally moved to FI tech after uh...8 mos?

Last edited by HobieKopek; Feb 12, 2003 at 11:12 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

The SC 3g GT was only a preproduction model by Mitsu. I have no faith that Mitsu will market it when the EVO comes ashore.

The SC 6-banger 'stang. It's probably the same as above. Ford won't market a 6-banger that can possibly match the 'stang GT.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

you guys are all treating TC's like they're pure high end powah.
get a small TC, granted they'll only give you (on a lancer as the example) about 200hp/210tq with correct engine software, they can begin to spool at like 15-1700. even when i do my city driving when i shift the next gear prolly starts higher than that. an example is the VW 1.8T engine. it's got a K03 Turbocharger in it... it's 180hp stock, and with proper engine managment (new chip) it can make about 14psi (whatever 1 bar is in psi) and push 215hp with a much higher torque number... the turbo kicks in at like 15-2000 (not sure, just ordered mine i'll know in about 2 weeks) and is rippin good all the way through till about 3750. sure it ends low, but you guys are talking about city driving. on the other hand, if you're racing straight line 1/4 mile, get a bigass turbo, you'll have lag till like 3500, but it'll tug hard all the way to redline, and then when you shift you'll still be in the power zone. either way (especially on a 4banger), TC is the way to go. all the really fast cars that you read about or show up at NOPI are TC'd unless (as mentioned) they're a big 6er or larger. the reason those cars aren't turboed as much is because a turbo setup takes up a ton of room in the engine bay and a few litres and cylinders cancel out the TC room.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 02:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by bahamut
The SC 3g GT was only a preproduction model by Mitsu. I have no faith that Mitsu will market it when the EVO comes ashore.

The SC 6-banger 'stang. It's probably the same as above. Ford won't market a 6-banger that can possibly match the 'stang GT.
I was talking aftermarket for both, not production. They're just two v6's that I know tuners got good results from with SCs.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 02:14 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Perf, depending upon the turbo you choose it very well may be all high end. Another thing to keep in mind though is that if you're running a small turbo at high boost levels you're going to create a lot of heat which will effect long term reliability and wear without proper compensation in the cooling department.

Last edited by HobieKopek; Feb 12, 2003 at 02:23 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Don't forget the ability to hold boost. A smaller turbo will (hypothetically, since no EXTEREMLY done up Lancer will be doing this) grant you say, 16 PSI max at around 4500 RPMs, but that boost could taper down to 12 in the higher revs.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

This post is kinda late, but here goes any way. My mechanic designed and created an intake and exhaust system for a mitsubishi mirage turbo 1.6L that could reach full boost (14psi) at 1500 rpm. This was because the client wanted torque down low. Of course high end power suffered, at 160 hp at 6000 rpm rather then 175 hp if he had been shooting for max hp with that same turbo and boost level. Stock power was 105 hp at 7 psi reaching full boost at 2500 rpm.

Just thought this was interesting.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I can't exactly go and change my vote, but if torque improvements like these are possible with a turbo, then I'd go with one of them, for all the efficiency benefits they get. Then again, regardless of which I choose, turbo or super, I can't afford it and certainly don't have the resources/knowhow to build my own. Oh well.... Anyone want to make a donation?
-N

Quick Reply: Supercharge or Turbo