Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.
View Poll Results: Supercharge or Turbo
Supercharge
36.74%
Turbo
63.26%
Voters: 362. You may not vote on this poll

Supercharge or Turbo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2004, 03:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Supercharger Kit

I have supercharger kit on my Lancer with the 4G93 engine.

Runs near 10 psi boost and cranks 173Hp at the wheels with all other components stock. We make a kit for sale in Australia, lucky Aussies
Old Jan 11, 2004, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

turbos can lag, but on a lancer, the lag is minimal, so im nto sure what the big friggin deal is with this lag issue, if you dont have a turbo on your lancer you only knwo what you read, and its been said in more words than needed, there is hardly any lag with turbos on a lancer
Old Jan 14, 2004, 12:01 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by TURBOit
turbos can lag, but on a lancer, the lag is minimal, so im nto sure what the big friggin deal is with this lag issue, if you dont have a turbo on your lancer you only knwo what you read, and its been said in more words than needed, there is hardly any lag with turbos on a lancer
Obviously gonna depend upon the turbo and manifold you choose, but yeah. I know first hand that the RRM T28 spools very quickly and reaches full boost (5-6psi stock) very quickly and I can only assume the RPW kit spools as fast or faster since it uses a manifold and collector rather than return pipe. That was part of my reasoning for going with a larger turbo on my own car, the other parts being I wanted to try something different, and (most importantly) I wanted a little bit of lag so that I could drive out of boost to suit my mood and/or weather conditions. Even with my T3 I hit positive boost in all gears but first between 2,000 and 2,500rpm. (For anyone who doesn't know cars will generate load differently in different gears) I can't comment on full boost because well...read any of my posts from when I picked up my car to my blowing it up and you'll understand.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

Solution for SC(/TC) parasitic loss;

Electric supercharger (boosthead.com) $3,000

Move battery for SC location, spend $?? to custom plumb it in

Then you'll have to figure out how to keep the SC and TC from fighting eachother if you have an Evo.

There's added weight (50 + lbs of kit, and batteries and their location).

Then there's the clutch type SC from Mercedes that only draw power during WOT. Again, major R & D, and overboost issues. Location - lower right hand side behind motor to grab a pully?

Just thoughts, and my guess a $10K+ endevor at that.
Old Feb 14, 2004, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dunno what some of you are talking about here but Idid so much research when i was about to turbocharge or supercharge my S2000. First of all Cars like Hondas and Acura's are not great on turbo charging except if you are going with complete engine rebuilt and stand alone managment system. turbos require sooo much tunning on none turbo cars to get them going right because they work from the exhaust side and thats to much work on the engine it self. turbos are strong but they have so many problems on any none turbo car even honda, ask any honda owner how many times he got it tuned befor it worked right. there ECU works completly diffrenet than VW or German cars or American lets say. ECU on Japanies car involves in every step that the engine do and thats why it too hard or it cost alot of money. Suprchargers give less power but they are much more reliable, not too much heat, very simple, very easy to mentain and cheaper and over alllll they dont have to get tuned as turbos and u still can use stock ECU and do some small modifecation here and there. they are cheaper as well. why do they require less tune because they work on a pully from the engine side not from exhaust gas, in turbos you are changing the hole car the engine its a big project in other words. Oh my good I built the best turbo kit for my S2000 ever and i could not make the ****ing ECU understand what's going on until I got Stand alone managment that was $1500 plus $1000 tunning dude it was not worth it. But over all i wont buy any car now that is not turbo charged. love turbos
Old Feb 15, 2004, 11:37 PM
EvoM Guru

turbos are not that hard to tune if your sticking to 6psi and below... you basically just add fmu and pump to get the fuel so rich that you need boost to take it out. From there your faster than na but still not as fast as you could be since your so rich... but rich is safe. For more than 6psi things can get tricky for both turbo and SC. There are heat issues with both and fuel issues as well. I will say that the NA ecu is very tricky since not designed for turbo. But SCing a car at low boost is just as easy as turboing. You really just need to see number then dynos. Final numbers can be almost alike but you need to see the graphs to determine how long power bands are and see which is more effective and where its effective. Wait till RIPP puts up the dyno sheet not just numbers. Then find one of the RRM kit... i'll see if RRM will dyno a local intercooled car at 7psi so they can be more accurately compared. Good luck in your search and just make sure you take your time and make your choice wisely based off the facts... that way you'll be happy with whichever you choose.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 12:54 AM
Evolved Member

YOU KNOW WHAT GUYS, LIFE WOULD BE EAISER IF FREAKING CAR TUNE PALCES DYNO'ED THERE FU**** FORCED INDUCTION KITS.

ok above 6 psi which kit cause more wear and tear???
Old Feb 16, 2004, 05:18 PM
EvoM Guru

where and tear remains to be seen... a lot of turbo'd lancers out there have been going for over 2 years thus far with no probs... the sc is new so give it time as well and see.

Turbo lancer has been dyno'd many times by different folks...
auto at 5 psi ran 180+whp and i think 170+wtq. Couple non-ic's at 7 psi did 200+whp and 210+wtq. I'm trying to get an intercooled setup(both auto/manual) on the dyno but developement of other things are first. I've dyno'd at 217whp and 225wtq at 7 psi intercooled.

Search around the dyno sheets are up and out there... or at least they should be. RIPP has yet to post one?? Just numbers. I've never posted one as others have. Stage 2 should get posted next week or later this week depending upon dyno openings.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 03:42 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for the info boe.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by thereasonsf3
YOU KNOW WHAT GUYS, LIFE WOULD BE EAISER IF FREAKING CAR TUNE PALCES DYNO'ED THERE FU**** FORCED INDUCTION KITS.

ok above 6 psi which kit cause more wear and tear???
The beauty of our system is that it comes pre-tuned and without the hassle of having to tune it yourself. Our systems will all lay down the WHP we project simply because it’s a TUNED SYSTEM. There is no guess work AT all If you just check out our reputation on:

http://www.eclipseforums.org/forum/s...hreadid=106597

And all of this:
http://www.eclipseforums.org/forum/f...?s=&forumid=77

You’ll see our reputation far beyond what you think:

Originally posted by Boeturbolancer
where and tear remains to be seen... a lot of turbo'd lancers out there have been going for over 2 years thus far with no probs... the sc is new so give it time as well and see.

Turbo lancer has been dyno'd many times by different folks...
auto at 5 psi ran 180+whp and i think 170+wtq. Couple non-ic's at 7 psi did 200+whp and 210+wtq. I'm trying to get an intercooled setup(both auto/manual) on the dyno but developement of other things are first. I've dyno'd at 217whp and 225wtq at 7 psi intercooled.

Search around the dyno sheets are up and out there... or at least they should be. RIPP has yet to post one?? Just numbers. I've never posted one as others have. Stage 2 should get posted next week or later this week depending upon dyno openings.
Cheap shot Boe:

As posted on the RIPPMODS.com home page:

*All wheel horse power figures were test by RIPP Modifications, Inc. on a DYNOJET brand dyno. Testing was done on vehicles running either RIPP Black Box, or HKS AFR. All cars were running RIPP brand headers and a leading brand exhaust system.

In some cases cars were running optional RIPP equipment, including but not limited to RIPP Intercooler, Over Drive Crank pulleys, RIPP piston program or more aggressive programming. Horse power has been tested out side RIPP to be within 10% of our figures. RIPP cannot control out side conditions such as, ambient temperatures, sea level, or vehicle condition, such as transmissions weakness, clutch status, tune up condition, or over all engine condition.

The cars tested were tested to be in normal condition and in perfect mechanical condition. You may call into RIPP Modifications, Inc. to find out any other HP ratings we may have. We try to be as accurate as possible when it comes to the information shared about SDS power making ability. Research will find our claimed HP to be accurate.*

Posted DYNO sheets can so easily be fudged it’s not even funny, who’s to say what any company posts is real, we will let our product do the talking. As for reliability, you’re questioning a company like Vortech for reliability, they offer a 2 year warrantee on there SC, and we offer a one year on our SDS.

I beg to differ the SDS is far from NEW, it’s been out for over 30 months and running on BlazenOZ’s car for nearly 6000 miles, besides being a test mule for us, he uses it every day for work and school.

I don’t know anything about your system or what you offer, but rule of thumb, SC’s are by far more reliable than TC, it’s a known fact, there are SDS customers of our who have 40000 plus miles on the original SDS over PURCHASED 30 months ago. Some boast about driving their SDS powered cars 200 miles a day to work and back.

Again, guys our system promotes reliability not HP, the HP is just a plus, we understand you want a powerful car but trust us, our numbers are as legit as they get, Boe’s just getting hostile again, our reputation will speak for itself… We now have an in house tester and we will be pushing the limits on it, anyone is welcome to come see it for themselves. We have only had experience with one RRM turbocharged lancer a stage 2 intercooled unit, it was installed by another shop, because we would not install it, it blew up in 60 days… FACT is that’s what aftermarket TC kits… they create heat and stress… our SC will not punish the engine like that… guaranteed!

Our system is a well thought out reliable unit with no guess work… a belt driven pump will always deliver the same amount of boost over and over with no boost creep or spiking, no matter what. The stock ECU will learn in the SC’s consistency and the Black Box will keep things in check on the fuel and timing side, even if something should go wrong.

If you want to gamble with your engine Turbo charge it…. If you want the sure thing, RIPP SDS! How much more proof do you want?

RIPPSDS Available for 27 DIFFERENT APPLICATIONS auto and five speed:
Mitsubishi Eclipse V6 and 4cyl
Mitsubishi Galant V6 and 4cyl
Mitsubishi 3000GT SOHC V6
Mitsubishi 3000GT DOHC V6
Mitsubishi Lancer 4cyl
Toyota Camry 4cyl
Toyota Solara 4cyl
Toyota Celica 4cyl
Stratus Coupe V6 and 4cyl
Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 COMING SOON

270 KITS SOLD AND STILL ONLY 7 ENGINE FAILURES TO DATE ALL BEFORE THE BLACK BOX PROGRAM!

Ross
RIPPMODS
Old Feb 17, 2004, 09:13 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by RIPPMODS
If you want to gamble with your engine Turbo charge it…. If you want the sure thing, RIPP SDS! How much more proof do you want?
I'm failing to see how turbocharging your engine is anymore risky. You stated the only problems with RIPP SDS were from incorrect installs. Same goes for RRM kits (the most popular kit for the Lancer) and some of them have been on the roads for almost 2 years now. Your car first car has less than a year on it. I'm neither knocking RIPP Mods nor praising RRM (though they certainly deserve credit for what they've done), but I'm failing to see any validity behind this statement.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by HobieKopek

I'm failing to see how turbocharging your engine is anymore risky. You stated the only problems with RIPP SDS were from incorrect installs. Same goes for RRM kits (the most popular kit for the Lancer) and some of them have been on the roads for almost 2 years now. Your car first car has less than a year on it. I'm neither knocking RIPP Mods nor praising RRM (though they certainly deserve credit for what they've done), but I'm failing to see any validity behind this statement.
OK... enough of this, we really don't have time to get into the TC vs. SC thing... we let this forum go on without knocking anyone... we allow for the little low blows to skim on by without interfering...

But you know, what statement has anyone made that has volatility when your speaking hypothetically? To state our kit “may or may not” last is pure BS. It’s the same bearing on the same shaft as our other kits.... and they have gone well over 40000 miles as people have promoted over on newweclipse.org. If your boosted engines have lasted 2 years, what makes you think a SC’d car won’t…. so in turn were do either of you come off disrespecting our system.

A fact is there are more than a handful of RRM or rather turbo charged engines that DID in fact blow up, and while we all have our problems, it way easier to go out of tune with a TC car than it is with a SC car… simply because we will never over boost, nor fall out of tune. There’s a Logic digital piggy back doing the thinking for you. Not only will it monitor the tune, it will also retune to adapt to different Octane ratings, ambient temps and so on. Couple that with the price and package and the HP we are generating on stock internals, and if I may…. How is your kit better than ours?

This archaic thought that the only way to make power on a 4cyl is using a turbo is getting old; we have proven several times over that our system is well worth the investment vs. power ratio. Let’s stop taking these juvenile cheap shots and let the systems do the talking. Seems to me ever since we introduced our kit, the turbo guys have had more than a few words to say… well guess what the kits still ago and calls are coming in with interest to our product. Soon enough there will be one in your neck of the woods picking a fight, you’ve welcome us several time to the track, but one kit can’t be every were… once the program is up and running the proof will be obvious.

While credit is due to those who have done in the past, seems as though you guys have a tuff time giving credit to those who are doing now. It’s an uphill climb over here at all times... but it’s good, what fun would it be if it there was no challenge.

Our mission is to provide safe reliable HP in the form of a SC kit, for this car and many others. If we had to get into a KEYBOARD race every time we speak it would take a lot of time. When would we build SC kit... right never!

SO again, we are in production now, we will let the consumer make the decision....

Regards
Rippmods
Old Feb 17, 2004, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

I saw an RRM Intercooled kit and it looked cheap! not to mention ugly set up. I dont think RRM's kit can be even be compared to Ripps SDS Kit. Reliability wise I think the company has proven to know what they're doing from tuning all these cars
Mitsubishi Eclipse V6 and 4cyl
Mitsubishi Galant V6 and 4cyl
Mitsubishi 3000GT SOHC V6
Mitsubishi 3000GT DOHC V6
Mitsubishi Lancer 4cyl
Toyota Camry 4cyl
Toyota Solara 4cyl
Toyota Celica 4cyl
Stratus Coupe V6 and 4cyl
Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 COMING SOON

and with a few complaints recorded, compared to RRM's turbo kit.

RRM guys should stop flaming or talking **** about this kit. Nobody flamed their asses when they came out with that kit. Its been nothing but support from us members. But we do not allow biast comments...and my suggestion is to keep their holes shut till Ripp SDS kit and hit the tracks. We want reliable horsepowers and options to go fast without blowing up motors.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

hey Ross,

Do you have a dyno sheet of the SC lancer? I am just interested in the torque band and such.

Thanks and keep up the good work

Punk, Didnt you just do what you said others shouldnt? Take the high road and let the dyno's and time slips speak for themselves. Of which i have seen neither from either so to date I feel that this is all hear say. Yes I have an RRM kit, yes I am happy but I am not posting that it is the best ever until I have slips and dyno sheet in hand. You do the same. And if you dont have either then SHUT THE **** UP!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 17, 2004, 02:18 PM
.L.
Evolved Member

Originally posted by HobieKopek

i agree with you on one point hobie. "I'm failing to see how turbocharging your engine is anymore risky." ANY type of forced induction is going to cause stress on a motor, no matter what type.

in general....i for one, do not like the rrm turbo kit (thats my opinion though.....but as you see, i'm not hating/bashing). now obviously turbos can be very powerful if done right. the only downside we've seen is that our motors do not take well to average-high boost without some internal work (on turbos). most dont have the money or the time, too much of a hassle, or do not see the point. i think most would agree that it's unpractical to tear apart basically a brand new car, just to prepare it for moderate boost. like most people have bluntly said, "you shoulda' just bought an evo". i think most are TRYING to save a buck or two. so that way they have a fun, reliable car to drive around in, without the high cost. most people/professionals would agree that supercharging is a great way to accomplish this. vortech has had much success with its integra/civic/s2000 kits. they produce great power, with great reliability. dosent matter 4cyl or not. maybe in the past. i think people should either post facts, or not post at all. its ridiculous for people to start bashing on one another for matter of opinion. if people dont like something they should simply say "its not for me", thats it.....plain and simple. like ross said, we'll see when its all said and done. the more options the better. isnt that what its all about? seriously? i think everything is getting misunderstood. a major points is ..... what type of kit can produce good horsepower while still being reliable. thats basically what it all comes down to.

Quick Reply: Supercharge or Turbo