Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Turbo q's!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2010, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo q's!

Before any of you guys flame me, i have done alot of searching and reading, in fact i have been on the forum for 6 hours straight just today reading all the stickies, searches, and random peoples build threads!

I just have a couple questions if some of you guys wouldnt mind helping me understand more about.

Now with that being said, I would like to start to peice together my own kit 5-7lbs boost, stock internals, DD, 2002 lancer oz auto trans. ( i understand this can take a while). From reading here on the site there are not many places at all that offer turbo manifolds outside of a comp turbo kit. I was further reading and found something about a J pipe? I dont understand this concept much, how does this work without a turbo mani? See i understand the general concept of a turbo and an engine, and how everything works together, the parts that confuse me are the layout of everything, the routing of the intercooler pipes/ turbo mani/ J pipe/ FMU/ fuel line routing etc. Alot of the info here on this site is great but alot of people dont explain in detail about the install, example would be: Ok, now that you have set up the turbo, run the fuel lines, and vac lines, then the pipeing ETC) I think im just a little bit slow haha. As i continue to learn and research its just overwhelming at times haha. So my main questions would be:
1) WHATS A J PIPE/ WHAT DOES IT DO?/ CAN IT BE USED WITH ANY AFTERMARKET NON-TURBO HEADER?

2)I HAVE ABOUT 1,600 SAVED UP NOW, WHAT ARE THE MAIN PARTS OF A TURBO KIT I SHOULD BUY FIRST?

3) IN THE LANCER TO EVO COMPAT THREAD EVO 8/9 INTERCOOLER AND PIPE WILL WORK..WILL A COMPANY THAT OFFERS EVO 8/9 INTERCOOLER PIPE KITS ON EBAY BE A GO? I.E. NOT FACTORY?

4) AFTER I HAVE ALL THE PARTS AND MAKE TIME TO INSTALL AND ALL IS INSTALLED, IS IT MANDATORY TO TUNE FOR RUNNING 5-7PSI, OR CAN IT BE RUN WITHOUT A TUNE? (im getting a tactrix 2.0 cable to learn how to tune myself, but thats a whole diff topic)

i have money to start building, i just dont know where to start! Thanks guys
-Tony

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Jul 6, 2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

1. I think what peeps call the J pipe is the pipe that comes off the turbo, and routes the boost to the intercooler.

2. I don't know, depends on the position of the turbo/manifold.

3. need a tune for sure. your car is designed to run without it(turbo).

I would say look into a complete kit, that has all the parts for you as a package. That will be less guesswork for you, or have a shop plan the build with you.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kwanza
1. I think what peeps call the J pipe is the pipe that comes off the turbo, and routes the boost to the intercooler.

2. I don't know, depends on the position of the turbo/manifold.

3. need a tune for sure. your car is designed to run without it(turbo).

I would say look into a complete kit, that has all the parts for you as a package. That will be less guesswork for you, or have a shop plan the build with you.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Yeah i was thinking about just saving up to buy a comp kit and in the meantime do further research, i just hate waiting hehe. But it might be the best thing to do, maybe ill get lucky and someone will be sellin there kit off here for cheap! Thanks again.
-Tony
Old Jul 6, 2010, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. kwanza is right
2. first you have to know what can of turbo you want to use...something "simple and easy" to install is just to go with a 16g like everyone else here...not a bad thing...once you know what type of turbo you want then get everything else...i would say turbo then manifold and just go from there
3. im pretty sure it will fit...i plan on purchasing an aftermarket intercooler for the evo IX soo hopefully lol
4. not mandatory but you should like kwanza was saying lancer is suppose to run without forced induction
Old Jul 6, 2010, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by qaz003
1. kwanza is right
2. first you have to know what can of turbo you want to use...something "simple and easy" to install is just to go with a 16g like everyone else here...not a bad thing...once you know what type of turbo you want then get everything else...i would say turbo then manifold and just go from there
3. im pretty sure it will fit...i plan on purchasing an aftermarket intercooler for the evo IX soo hopefully lol
4. not mandatory but you should like kwanza was saying lancer is suppose to run without forced induction
Thanks for the input man, really appreciate it! It might be better for me to just save up the money and buy a whole kit but that takes the fun out of it, i think im going to peice it together and learn as i go like most people do i think im goin to go with a 16g turbo and a mani from speedcorps to start
Old Jul 6, 2010, 04:51 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mitsu.kid.02
1) WHATS A J PIPE/ WHAT DOES IT DO?/ CAN IT BE USED WITH ANY AFTERMARKET NON-TURBO HEADER?

2)I HAVE ABOUT 1,600 SAVED UP NOW, WHAT ARE THE MAIN PARTS OF A TURBO KIT I SHOULD BUY FIRST?

3) IN THE LANCER TO EVO COMPAT THREAD EVO 8/9 INTERCOOLER AND PIPE WILL WORK..WILL A COMPANY THAT OFFERS EVO 8/9 INTERCOOLER PIPE KITS ON EBAY BE A GO? I.E. NOT FACTORY?

4) AFTER I HAVE ALL THE PARTS AND MAKE TIME TO INSTALL AND ALL IS INSTALLED, IS IT MANDATORY TO TUNE FOR RUNNING 5-7PSI, OR CAN IT BE RUN WITHOUT A TUNE? (im getting a tactrix 2.0 cable to learn how to tune myself, but thats a whole diff topic)

i have money to start building, i just dont know where to start! Thanks guys
-Tony

1. your j-pipe is the piece of "pipe" that comes right off the turbo and goes into your lower i/c pipe. now depending on what turbo you get will depend on what "pipe" you get. the evo 8/9 ones are a little different from what i hear so if you get an 8 turbo get the 8 pipe and so on and so forth.

2. this can be debated but i feel get the turbo and mani first. this way then you have a starting point on where you want to go. now if you more of your 16g route (ie dsm or evo) then you can pretty much get a build list from the ones who have done it before.

3. ebay kits are nice to a point. i personally haver the evo 8/9 injen full ic system with hard intake and love it. had another system on there before but i could tell the differnece on the 2.

4. YES and let me say this YES you must tune. stay away from a fmu and put in wrx blue topped 440's they are a direct drop in and i have mine and my entire system tuned to 15psi with out a hiccup. BUT THIS IS ALSO TO SAY THAT I HAVENT DONE MY FARE SHARE OF TUNING TO MAKE IT WORK!

youve got a lot to learn and all we can say is search and ask questions. the search button is your friend!

good luck
josh
Old Jul 6, 2010, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JRR
1. your j-pipe is the piece of "pipe" that comes right off the turbo and goes into your lower i/c pipe. now depending on what turbo you get will depend on what "pipe" you get. the evo 8/9 ones are a little different from what i hear so if you get an 8 turbo get the 8 pipe and so on and so forth.

2. this can be debated but i feel get the turbo and mani first. this way then you have a starting point on where you want to go. now if you more of your 16g route (ie dsm or evo) then you can pretty much get a build list from the ones who have done it before.

3. ebay kits are nice to a point. i personally haver the evo 8/9 injen full ic system with hard intake and love it. had another system on there before but i could tell the differnece on the 2.

4. YES and let me say this YES you must tune. stay away from a fmu and put in wrx blue topped 440's they are a direct drop in and i have mine and my entire system tuned to 15psi with out a hiccup. BUT THIS IS ALSO TO SAY THAT I HAVENT DONE MY FARE SHARE OF TUNING TO MAKE IT WORK!

youve got a lot to learn and all we can say is search and ask questions. the search button is your friend!

good luck
josh

Thanks for all the input man, i really appreciate you guys helping me out here and not flaming me, i do continue to search and search and search, it is a great tool indeed! I think im deff going to go with a 16g turbo and eather RRM or speedcorps manifold and just keep learning and opening up options for the build. Thanks guys!
Old Jul 6, 2010, 07:26 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

Thanks for all the input man, i really appreciate you guys helping me out here and not flaming me, i do continue to search and search and search, it is a great tool indeed! I think im deff going to go with a 16g turbo and eather RRM or speedcorps manifold and just keep learning and opening up options for the build. Thanks guys!
well decide which 16g you want to use. that will determine the manifold. rrm uses a dsm style while speedcorps uses the evo style 16g. both have their nice point and their flaws. just brace them because they are not meant to take the full blunt of the wight. go thru my tread and you will see what i mean by bracing them. i still had to reweld mine from rrm cuz the welds sucked horribly. with your car you can go either way. now like me i have the rrm 16g and then i was going to go with a twin scroll evo and ran into my slave cylinder since i put an 04 trans in my 03 after i grenaded a few syncros....

josh
Old Jul 6, 2010, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

This is basically what the speedcorps mani looks like, mounted up to my 16g off of an evo8.

This is a really good link for letting you know what all you will end up needing, in addition to the forum posts.

http://www.speedcorps.com/lancerturbokit.html

You sound just like me when I first started thinking about turbos. I went:
1. save up 4grand for the rrm kit
2. ...eh, save up 2 grand for a turbo-kits.com kit
3. .......ug...those turbo kits only come with the bare minimum, and some ( a lot) of the pieces end up being proprietary to the kit. Lets go custom.
4. ..........bought turbo, then downpipe, then evo intercooler and piping, evo bov, evo battery tray, evo this, evo that....lol, pretty much all the used stuff first as I found it for the cheap.
5. ..............finally bough the mani, wideband, other gauges, tactrix cable, hose, nother bov since my plastic one broke (darn advanced auto parts guy) so get a metal evo 9 bov.
6. .........................Hide it ALL from the wife until tonight, when she saw me spraypainting my A-Pillar gauge thingie.

*Edit* oh, and just fyi on timeline. I spent about 2 weeks reading every single post on this forum about someone's build, then about a week reading about tuning an evo and learning efi tuning in general, then about 4 weeks now searching the used forums for pieces I can use. I'm about one and a half months in from the beginning of my serious "i want to turbo" decision and I've got almost everything.

*notha edit* Also, knowing this now, but basically when someone says install a 12:1 FMU, or a 1:1 RR FPR, or tune with ecuflash, they are all basically different paths to the same end point. When you turbo you need more fuel, and the fairly unanimous favorite is a good solid ecuflash tune. Things you might not have to do are get bigger injectors, new fuel pump, or headstuds with the boost you are talking about....but each of them = added security so don't just be cheap and skimp if you feel it's necessary. Also, how confident you are in yourself as a mechanic and how long you can go without your car should both factor in to the process. With a prebuilt kit from RRM, I'd say the chances your car are "down" for less time are good. Custom means you'll say "ah, crap, I forgot x, y, and z...lemmie go get them".

*final edit*
I vote for using an stock evo intercooler and piping...it's basically the biggest you can get for our cars before you start to feel like you're blowing up too big of a balloon, from what I hear.

Last edited by HornstarBU; Jul 6, 2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

if you decide to go with the evo 16g here are a bunch of build threads that ppl have made going the 16 route
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...g-install.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...st-lancer.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...urbo-soon.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...ing-turbo.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...cer-forum.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...other-16g.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...o-project.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...6-project.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...o-8-build.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...16g-build.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...03-lancer.html
Old Jul 7, 2010, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

HornstarBU, that pic looks awesome BTW haha thats alot for the info. The info on speedcorps is also very useful!, I will deff be reading and searching tons more information. Thanks for the clarification about the FMU, FPR and ultimate tuning. Im a quick learner, especially when its something i concentrate hard on. Thanks big time for your help bro. Also, the stock evo 8/9 intercooling pipe will need to do some modification i hear for the AUTO lancer guys?

Link62, thanks for those links man i will be reading ALL of them!
-Tony
Old Jul 7, 2010, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

HornstarBU, that pic looks awesome BTW haha thats alot for the info. The info on speedcorps is also very useful!, I will deff be reading and searching tons more information. Thanks for the clarification about the FMU, FPR and ultimate tuning. Im a quick learner, especially when its something i concentrate hard on. Thanks big time for your help bro. Also, the stock evo 8/9 intercooling pipe will need to do some modification i hear for the AUTO lancer guys?

Link62, thanks for those links man i will be reading ALL of them!
-Tony
Shows how much I know, your info says you have an OZ Rally and I didn't even know those came in Auto! Well, yeah, from what I have read, you might be doing a lot of custom piping for the auto. I'm manual, so smooth sailing there. I think if I had an auto, I would choose an old clunker off of craigslist or something that is a manual and fix that up....but then again, that's a ton more work, you've already got a working lancer.

There are a few guys with autos, most I can think of right now though have the RRM kit. I never pay a ton of attention though, since it doesn't apply to me. lol, not helpful, right?
Old Jul 7, 2010, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

no custom piping is needed im running all stock evo ic piping on my auto just fine
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by link62
no custom piping is needed im running all stock evo ic piping on my auto just fine

Awesome...im going to buy sawulkins partial turbo kit to get started! https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...turbo-kit.html
Old Jul 7, 2010, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Here is another question i cant seem to understand! On an auto trans car like mine witha turbo, you dont use a normal BOV? recirculating BOV is that what its called? How does this work for a auto car vs a manual? Can the stock lancer MAF handle boost? I do have a 501 MAF sensor off of my old galant. Thanks guys!

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Jul 7, 2010 at 12:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Turbo q's!