Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Wideband assistance for custom turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wideband assistance for custom turbo kit

Hey there,

I have purchased a turbo kit for my '09 GTS, however I still need a couple things before I can put it in and a wideband is one of them. I have been looking at a Zeitronix Zt-2. I am new to all of the wideband business so I need to know what to look for. Do I need one that can be programmed and monitored with my laptop? Or can I simply get a wideband gauge and sensor from AEM? Suggestions and insight would be greatly appreciated. My car is being dyno tuned by a shop, I don't know if that helps you at all. And help would be great, thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

does the shop have their own AFR monitoring system? if so, you dont need one that can monitor, and you can just get an AEM UEGO, and the shop will monitor and record the AFRs along the curve. if the shop does not have their own AFR system, you should get one that records it so the shop can look it over and see when the AFR needs adjusting and how much etc.

I have the AEM UEGO

also, post pics of the kit! and what kit is it? custom? details, details!!
Old Jul 24, 2010, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

It's a custom kit, I purchased it off of someone but I am going to be changing a couple things to make it a bit better, that's why it's not in just yet. It uses a Ralliart turbo manifold, Ralliart turbo, Ralliart UICP, Ralliart Intercooler (it's banged up, I'm getting a new one), Evo X LICP, Evo X BOV, some custom piping, Ultimate Racing 800cc injectors (most likely going to downgrade), I will be purchasing a piggyback ecu for it (most like RRM for pricing reasons), I will be purchasing a wideband, AEM intake (I think it's off of an Evo X), and a modified oil pan. Here are some pics

Manifold:

UICP, Intercooler, LICP:

Banged up intercooler:

Evo X LICP:

AEM Intake w/ Evo X BOV attached:

Turbo and Manifold:

Ralliart Turbo:

What about you? What are you running? Also, I may need some help putting this together. Is it alright to shoot you a PM later on?
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

yeah ive gotten PMs from a lot of people with questions haha its no prob

800cc injectors are WAY too much, it will probably make the car untuneable, or close to it, unless you are running about 10 psi or more, which i DO NOT SUGGEST DOING! im using 600cc injectors right now, and it took at least a few dyno runs just to make it not so rich, plus the rest of the runs to get it perfect. i have some 480ccs for sale, which would work fine for you if you want. also, if you are getting a custom tune, dont waste your time and money on a piggyback. our ECU can be tuned just fine.

as for me, im running:
Evo X turbo (found out its actually ported and polished too)
Evo X OEM replacement manifold
Evo X injectors
custom intercooler
custom piping
custom 3" intake with K&N Filter
Forge bypass valve (recirc)
Forge MBC
Forge wastegate with small spring
custom downpipe to a QTP electric cutout
no cat
AEM UEGO, Sunpro boost gauge, Prosport oil press gauge
heat wrapped downpipe and manifold
-10an SS braided oil return, with bung welded into oil pan
battery relocated
and probably some other small stuff....
Old Jul 24, 2010, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Wow that's amazing! Sounds like an awesome kit! I'll be running an 8 psi boost, so it will be safe. What numbers are you getting out of your kit? And by not running a piggyback, our ECU needs to be flashed correct? And I'm interested in your injectors, let me know how much you want for them.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

im only on 6 lbs because i have a bad history with turboing this car lol, right now its at about 221 whp, with a conservative, slightly rich tune. its basically guaranteed not to blow no matter what haha. Yes the ECU needs to be flashed, but you said you are getting it tuned on the dyno anyways. the tuner or whoever will have to come to your house (or wherever the turbo is being put on) and flash it so you are able to at least drive it to the shop.

also, i was asking USD $60 obo shipped. I have a for sale thread in the 2008+ section for the Bosch injectors
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by yitzac1990
im only on 6 lbs because i have a bad history with turboing this car lol, right now its at about 221 whp, with a conservative, slightly rich tune. its basically guaranteed not to blow no matter what haha. Yes the ECU needs to be flashed, but you said you are getting it tuned on the dyno anyways. the tuner or whoever will have to come to your house (or wherever the turbo is being put on) and flash it so you are able to at least drive it to the shop.

also, i was asking USD $60 obo shipped. I have a for sale thread in the 2008+ section for the Bosch injectors
I was wondering. You said a tunner would have to come to the house and flash it. Do you by any chance know of what maps are flashed on our ecu. I got tatricks cable and ecu flash software. I just need a base map. I have some from RA with and with out boost pill. How ever I dont know if they will work. If you got a map or know some one who does, please let me know. Like you said, it just needs to be drivable to the shop.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:29 AM
Evolved Member

well im not exactly a software guy lol, thats what Jestr (jestrtuning.com) is for he came and flashed my car when i put my turbo on, i drove it for a while to "break in" everything, then got it tuned on the dyno. find some local tuners that can do it for you.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could also call a reputable tuner and ask their advice. Some may even be able to offer a mail-in flash to get you started.