Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

OZ turbo project

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2010, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
This what I have Aem wideband, Prosport boost gauge, greddy oil pressure gauge, and a prosport egt gauge.

This is what I would prefer, not the same stuff but if you feel comfortable with other brands go ahead.

I would prefer the egt because when I was using previous roms from before my idle was around 1k and my egt temp was at a 1000 degrees, I was like oh sh** so trust me I would prefer that!!!! Hey what are the danger temps? I just want to know

by the way the build looks great!!! I remember when I first started my build, I was so excited knowing that I was getting closer.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are good up to around 1800 them u might wanna figure out what's going on. 1000 with idle at 1k is about right I have my idle raised to about 850rpms and I sit around 800 degrees
Old Jul 31, 2010, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lots of good information there that I didn't know especially the exhaust temperature limit that could mean bad news. Prosportgauges looks like a good place to start. So I received the bov, thanks Demon and I bought Japordie's manifold that is on it's way. Getting pretty close which is very exciting just like you said Steven. Now I need a downpipe solution.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OZreef
lots of good information there that I didn't know especially the exhaust temperature limit that could mean bad news. Prosportgauges looks like a good place to start. So I received the bov, thanks Demon and I bought Japordie's manifold that is on it's way. Getting pretty close which is very exciting just like you said Steven. Now I need a downpipe solution.
well im not sure how your cars exhaust system looks like, but just go with a stock evo 8 downpipe. Thats what I did and im fine with it. But I dont know if it will fit on yours? Anyone wanna help me on this, I would hate for him to buy it and it doesnt fit exactly on his car
Old Aug 1, 2010, 12:32 AM

I have a 2.5inch custom exhaust with an aftermarket cat (supposed to be high flow but no idea if that's true or even matter for downpipe application). All of this is welded together I believe. No modifications before the cat.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

I have a 2.5inch custom exhaust with an aftermarket cat (supposed to be high flow but no idea if that's true or even matter for downpipe application). All of this is welded together I believe. No modifications before the cat.
oh wait lol you have a 2003 lancer hahahaa, your pic looks like the new models, yeah the stock evo 8 down pipe will work just fine for you. You can find them on ebay for like 60, or if you go here you should be able to find one cheaper.

if you go with the stock evo 8 I would prefer if you took off the wrapping around the pipe, it might get in the way. And one more reminder it wont bolt up to the stock exhaust after the cat, you are going to have to cut that and weld a new flange on there to mate up with the exhaust.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by steven121

if you go with the stock evo 8 I would prefer if you took off the wrapping around the pipe, it might get in the way. And one more reminder it wont bolt up to the stock exhaust after the cat, you are going to have to cut that and weld a new flange on there to mate up with the exhaust.
I don't quite understand this part. Do you mean I have to delete cat or cut a piece of the pipe as big as the downpipe after the cat to make room for it? or just cut a little piece then add a flange that will connect the downpipe to the rest of the exhaust piping? Another thing is where does that extra 12" of piping go that speedcorps mentions adding to exhaust in order for any 3" aftermarket or evo 8 downpipe to fit? Also the downpipe will be welded on right, what about the exhaust manifold is that welded on to the turbo as well?
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

I don't quite understand this part. Do you mean I have to delete cat or cut a piece of the pipe as big as the downpipe after the cat to make room for it? or just cut a little piece then add a flange that will connect the downpipe to the rest of the exhaust piping? Another thing is where does that extra 12" of piping go that speedcorps mentions adding to exhaust in order for any 3" aftermarket or evo 8 downpipe to fit? Also the downpipe will be welded on right, what about the exhaust manifold is that welded on to the turbo as well?
here ill make it simple, everything you will get are bolt ons except one part I will explain the steps

1 bolt up manifold to the engine,
2 bolt turbo to manifold
3 bolt down pipe to O2 housing
4 your exhaust flange after the cat going toward the exhaust is too small, when you bolt on your downpipe messure how much you will need to cut off and just weld a flange that will fit.

this is how it would match up, I would prefer to bolt the turbo to the manifold, slip it in the engine bay and just bolt up your manifold with the turbo connected. If you dont understand I will take pics tomorrow for you
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:49 AM
Evolved Member

I purchased a 13" overall magnaflow catalytic converter (2.5" diameter to match my evo8 DP and ebay exhaust), 9" body. The gap between the downpipe and the stock exhaust (ie the length of the stock catalytic converter) is about 11" inches. I am going to just cut 2" off of the magnaflow cat, give or take whatever exact measurements reveal, and weld new flanges on. That way, I can remove the cat if I want to, and I haven't damaged the stock exhaust or the downpipe, so I can get a bigger one or something if I want
Old Aug 2, 2010, 01:16 AM

ok I get what both of you guys are saying and the part about replacing the stock cat with an aftermarket that fills the gap where I would have needed extra piping. But even though my stock cat was replaced I don't know how big is the aftermarket one to decide if it needs to be cut or not to fit up the downpipe with a flange welded on. I guess I'll have to take a look under the car. So far I get bolting up manifold to head, turbo to manifold, downpipe to 02housing. Now the part I'm still confused about is that how is the downpipe connected one end to 02 housing which is with the turbo towards the front of the car and the other end to the cat after the exhaust? I'm probably reading your post wrong but pictures will definitely help if you can show me the location of the downpipe with both ends connected to what. I think that will clear it all up for me.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 04:49 PM

New question arise. If I get the zeitronix wideband would I even need any more gauges because that already has the capabilities to read AFR, boost, egt etc. right? Only one I don't see it reading is the oil pressure and water temperature if that's even needed.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 04:55 PM

oil pressure and water temp isn't NEEDED, but if something blows you're going to know right away with oil pressure.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 05:07 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

i persoanlly like having 3 gauges. zietronix w/b, greddy boost, and greddy oil pressure. goth this setup in both my lancer and my wrx.

the zietronix is nice but the only thing i can say that i dont like about it is that if you have the gauge not the lcd it gets hard tp read everything at once, but thats why i got the other 2.

josh
Old Aug 4, 2010, 04:08 PM

alright thanks for that. I finally got my manifold and still need downpipe. About that I was wondering if my catback exhaust is 2.5 inches, wont I need a 2.5 inches downpipe as well? or do I need to get my whole exhaust system replaced with a 3 inches setup for the evo 8 3 inches downpipe to fit?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

New question arise. If I get the zeitronix wideband would I even need any more gauges because that already has the capabilities to read AFR, boost, egt etc. right? Only one I don't see it reading is the oil pressure and water temperature if that's even needed.
Zeitronix reads oil pressure and water temperature plus tons of other vital engine parameters. You can even setup alarms and warnings for any of those.

Quick Reply: OZ turbo project