Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

OZ turbo project

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2010, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Braydo25
oil pressure and water temp isn't NEEDED, but if something blows you're going to know right away with oil pressure.
your right, both are not needed.

I have both, and im GLAD! ive had a few close calls, with Water temp and oil pressure. gave me enough warning to shut the car down without tearing something up.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need some clearing up on the downpipe installation, I still don't get if I'm supposed to weld a flange on the cat or the downpipe? And if I need to cut off a piece from the downpipe or cat. So lets say I need to modify my cat by cutting and welding the flange on it, does that mean the stock lancer downpipe wont be able stay on anymore and the evo downpipe will need to go on right away?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by OZreef
I need some clearing up on the downpipe installation, I still don't get if I'm supposed to weld a flange on the cat or the downpipe? And if I need to cut off a piece from the downpipe or cat. So lets say I need to modify my cat by cutting and welding the flange on it, does that mean the stock lancer downpipe wont be able stay on anymore and the evo downpipe will need to go on right away?
stay online for a few ill pull up some pics
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

old exhaust

test pipe installed and flange welded

what I did was cut off the old flange from the exuast that connects before the cat and welded an evo 8 downpipe flange on it so I can bolt up either my downpipe or test pipe, now if I want to pass emissions I can put an evo 8 cat in place of the test pipe before I take it in

Last edited by steven121; Aug 4, 2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:48 PM

nice pictures! So if I wanted an exhaust shop to do this I have to give them the evo 8 flange to weld on, does that mean my exhaust will still fit even if I'm not ready to install the evo 8 downpipe yet? What I'm trying to say is that how will I drive the car if I have to weld the flange at one place and install downpipe along with rest of the turbo at another place?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 12:09 AM

I have an evo 8 midpipe, I skimmed through the posts, it has the flanges on it, I'm not sure if you would need it or not. If you payed shipping I could send it down for free, it's just been taking space up in my garage.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:45 PM

Ok I have all the parts I need that I listed so I took them to my mechanic for him to take a look at and I found out several new information.

First off about the manifold he told me it was badly cracked and of cheap quality like the ones from ebay and that it will keep cracking even if I had it re-welded so I was advised on getting a new one that is made of cast iron. Next I have to get a map sensor that will go more than one bar (whatever that means). Lastly relating to the installation is that I need an adapter or something like that to fit downpipe to the 02 housing because the mouth of the downpipe is larger than that of the housing (see turbokitpictures010 in the attachments below).

The next problem is even more complicated than that and is somewhat unrelated to the installation but to the running of the whole car itself. So I have my check engine light on and it's running in open loop and on safe mode according to my mechanic which means its not running properly/normally but I don't see any difference. Almost two years ago I had the auto tranny swapped with a manual of the same car. It was done successfully but incomplete because the ecu and wiring were still that of the automatic. After the diagnosis all it showed was bunch of codes relating to the auto tranny not being there such as torque converter, shift solenoid and what not so I continued to drive it like that without running into any major problems. One minor problem that occurred from time to time is that when the car first started for the day it revved all the way up to 2k or even 3k sometimes then came back down to steady 800.

The reason for posting all this is because I want to know how big of a problem will this pose if I decide to install the turbo without completing my transmission conversion first by getting the whole engine wiring harness and ecu swapped or can I do it after I put the turbo in. And what does it mean to be running in open loop and safe mode. This decision to go through with one or the other will postpone the latter.
Attached Thumbnails OZ turbo project-turbokitpictures009.jpg   OZ turbo project-turbokitpictures004.jpg   OZ turbo project-turbokitpictures006.jpg   OZ turbo project-turbokitpictures007.jpg   OZ turbo project-turbokitpictures010.jpg  

Last edited by OZreef; Aug 17, 2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Ok I have all the parts I need that I listed so I took them to my mechanic for him to take a look at and I found out several new information.

First off about the manifold he told me it was badly cracked and of cheap quality like the ones from ebay and that it will keep cracking even if I had it re-welded so I was advised on getting a new one that is made of cast iron. Next I have to get a map sensor that will go more than one bar (whatever that means). Lastly relating to the installation is that I need an adapter or something like that to fit downpipe to the 02 housing because the mouth of the downpipe is larger than that of the housing (see turbokitpictures010 in the attachments below).

The next problem is even more complicated than that and is somewhat unrelated to the installation but to the running of the whole car itself. So I have my check engine light on and it's running in open loop and on safe mode according to my mechanic which means its not running properly/normally but I don't see any difference. Almost two years ago I had the auto tranny swapped with a manual of the same car. It was done successfully but incomplete because the ecu and wiring were still that of the automatic. After the diagnosis all it showed was bunch of codes relating to the auto tranny not being there such as torque converter, shift solenoid and what not so I continued to drive it like that without running into any major problems. One minor problem that occurred from time to time is that when the car first started for the day it revved all the way up to 2k or even 3k sometimes then came back down to steady 800.

The reason for posting all this is because I want to know how big of a problem will this pose if I decide to install the turbo without completing my transmission conversion first by getting the whole engine wiring harness and ecu swapped or can I do it after I put the turbo in. And what does it mean to be running in open loop and safe mode. This decision to go through with one or the other will postpone the latter.

make sure you get a donut gasket for that turbo O2 housing to the downpipe
Old Aug 20, 2010, 05:35 PM

thanks Steven, so any OEM evo8 downpipe doughnut gasket will work right.
I ordered the speedcorps manifold instead and its also coming with a mounting bracket. everything should be good to go after that arrives. also which map sensor will fit my car that's needed after boosting?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 08:30 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

thanks Steven, so any OEM evo8 downpipe doughnut gasket will work right.
I ordered the speedcorps manifold instead and its also coming with a mounting bracket. everything should be good to go after that arrives. also which map sensor will fit my car that's needed after boosting?
from what i know, i think the lancer and the evo's run the same map sensor. senate would know but for some reason i think they are the same...

i never changed my map sensor when turboed
Old Aug 21, 2010, 02:38 AM

Alright I'll look into the evo map sensors, thanks. Did you bypass your map sensor or how did it work with running a turbo? I hear that the lancer stock map sensors aren't able to read so much air going into the engine which is why an upgrade or bypass is necessary. And if I were to tune the ecu then a real map sensor needs to be present so bypassing it wont work.

On a side note here is a pic of my intercooler (thanks braydon for finally shipping it =)
Attached Thumbnails OZ turbo project-turbokitpictures11.jpg  
Old Aug 23, 2010, 09:18 PM

Alright I'll look into the evo map sensors, thanks. Did you bypass your map sensor or how did it work with running a turbo? I hear that the lancer stock map sensors aren't able to read so much air going into the engine which is why an upgrade or bypass is necessary. And if I were to tune the ecu then a real map sensor needs to be present so bypassing it wont work.

On a side note here is a pic of my intercooler (thanks braydon for finally shipping it =)

You're welcome.

Sorry for the long wait... completely my B. Good luck with the rest of the install. Oh, you found the bolts for mounting the intercooler taped to it right?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:01 PM

Yeah I got the bolts, do I only need two? because that's how many it came with. I just need to find someone to install it. Majority of the shops do not want to take on something like this because of something put together like this not working right.

Is a larger MAF required swap for turbo or is it recommended?

Last edited by OZreef; Aug 23, 2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evos 8/9 map sensor are the same as lancer to the best of my knowledge. Unless your running SD you do not need to worry about your stock map sensor. Maf swap is only recommended not required but I would still upgrade to at least a 501 or better the 399 evo maf like me . Two bolt are all that hold the IC on to our cars the top one is not needed.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

for the top one just use a zip tie to keep it from moving, its because of the rubber spacers between the hole.

Quick Reply: OZ turbo project