Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

OZ turbo project

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OZ turbo project

After all the cosmetics and renowned aftermarket "performance" mods (see cardomain profile in sig) while still gaining around 5hp I thought the time has finally come to do what all the other lancer owners like me are doing with a little bit of research is to go turbo. I probably will end up spending less than all the non-turbo related part's total costs on this turbo project. Anyways on to the main point of this post. I started buying parts to turbo my lancer and so far with what I have I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread to get any kind of comments/suggestions/opinions that will help me out a lot. My target is to reach anywhere from 6-9 PSI of boost because just having a turbo on my lancer would be a big deal for me. Also because I don't know a lot about to go beyond that and I would like to take it slow learning with the basics first. Then I'll go up from there as time goes on.

Parts used for starter setup:

Evo 8, TD05HR 16g Turbo
Speedcorps Turbo Manifold
JDM Front Mount Intercooler
2.5" Polished Aluminum Universal Intercooler Piping
RRM Oil Feed/Return Lines
Evo 8 downpipe combined with stock downpipe
NEW Forge Wastegate Actuator w/ 10psi spring
2.5" Custom Cold Air Intake
Greddy RS BOV
WRX 440cc injectors
Aem Tru-boost Controller and Autometer AFR Gauges
2.5" Custom Catback Exhaust w/ Carbon Fiber Muffler Tip
Ported Intake Manifold by Prostreet Motorsports (Hayward, CA)
5 Speed Manual Transmission Conversion
ACT Heavy Duty Clutch Kit
KYB Struts
TEIN Lowering Springs
RRM Lightweight Pulley
Walbro 255lph
Manual Boost Controller

[/B]

Much of the information on here is what I have gained from others through words of mouth, forums, guides and merchant websites. I will update as this goes along well and I hope it does because this is my first big project on my one and only car.

Last edited by OZreef; Sep 28, 2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

I'll give you the advice I've gained.

Ditch the idea of an FPR or FMU as well as the piggyback, the 2 conflict in some ways. Instead, continue as planned with getting WRX 440's and then use a tactrix cable and ecuflash to do all of that tuning directly in the ECU. much more control, much less work wiring something in, and MUCH more cool stuff is coming out for the EVO rom, which you can flash to your car ONLY if it's a manual. If you have an auto, there are other choices, but cross that bridge when you get there. Everything you can do with the emanage or apexi...you can do with the lancer ECU and a tactrix cable. Logging is also hella easier with the tactrix cable.

you'll want a wideband for tuning and a boost gauge to know what PSI you are at. The wideband will also help you know if you are running too lean and might go boom.

No reason to get a boost controller unless you want 10+psi of boost, if you are less than 10 like most....just get the adjustable wastegate spring and set it where you want (anywhere from 5-10 psi)

I don't recommend the greddy, unless you really just want the woooosh sound...but you can get that with an open cone filter almost as well using a Evo9 stock metal bov.

I have the speedcorps manifold, and while it's not installed, I can vouch for the quality being good. It's stainless steel, and feels pretty solid. I still don't trust it holding the entire turbo and downpipe up on it's own, so I will be making a bracket to bolt the bottom of the O2 housing to the block somewhere.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:32 PM

I don't know much about tuning with ecuflash and tactrix cable besides what I've read so far from the Lancer engine management / tuning forums but still not sure how to use all that information to do it safely by myself. Also my oz was converted to manual transmission from auto but it is still using the automatic ecu and wiring harness so I don't know how that will work out. I've talked to WORKS about their mail in ecu flashing services and they told me that unless I switch to manual ecu it can't be done. So can I still use those to tune my stock automatic ecu without flashing an evo rom or how does that work?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OZreef
I don't know much about tuning with ecuflash and tactrix cable besides what I've read so far from the Lancer engine management / tuning forums but still not sure how to use all that information to do it safely by myself. Also my oz was converted to manual transmission from auto but it is still using the automatic ecu and wiring harness so I don't know how that will work out. I've talked to WORKS about their mail in ecu flashing services and they told me that unless I switch to manual ecu it can't be done. So can I still use those to tune my stock automatic ecu without flashing an evo rom or how does that work?
I tell you ....I'm not sure exactly. From what I've heard, you set things like the shift points and what not for the automatic transmission in the ecu. If you have swapped to a manual, and still have the same ecu from being an auto...I don't really know how that works. I will tell you this though, you can swap an evo ecu into your lancer, change 2 wires, and you've got basically the same thing as re-flashing the evo rom so maybe that'd be the easiest thing for your situation.

As far as tuning with a piggy vs ecuflash....the same principles still apply, and that is make sure you have enough fuel when you are in boost. The apexi piggy can adjust fuel, the e-manage can too but can also adjust timing. The e-manage also has an addon that allows for fuel injector adjustment, which you would need with 440 injectors.

The tactrix cable...weighing in at about 150 bucks can do fuel, timing, injector scaling, maf swaps, awesome logging, and many many other things..... It's true the others can do some of the things you can do with the ecu reflash, but just no where near as well or with the same ease and precision, and they cost much more. I'm probably more a fan of ecuflash than swaping to something like an AEM EMS just because to replicate the daily driving ability into a full blown aftermarket ecu....it's just not an easy thing from what I gather.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:21 PM

Subscribed! can't wait to see how it turns out man!
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
parts list is lookin good bro. u know to message me if u have questions!
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:22 PM

Alright I'll wait on all the tuning components for now since my turbo isn't even complete yet. Now to get couple of simple questions out the way. About Walbro 255, do I just need the pump itself or does it have to come with a installation kit? And the other question is that if a turbo timer keeps an engine running for a certain period of time to let the turbo cool, can't I just do that by not shutting off the engine for that same amount of time then turn it off manually?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by OZreef
Alright I'll wait on all the tuning components for now since my turbo isn't even complete yet. Now to get couple of simple questions out the way. About Walbro 255, do I just need the pump itself or does it have to come with a installation kit? And the other question is that if a turbo timer keeps an engine running for a certain period of time to let the turbo cool, can't I just do that by not shutting off the engine for that same amount of time then turn it off manually?
For the turbo timer: Yep, it's the same thing as waiting in your car for what, I think 30 seconds of idle? Yeah, but the turbo timer is for lazy people or those who are in a hurry and don't have that 30 seconds to wait in the car
Old Jul 29, 2010, 01:32 PM

Just picked up a walbro 255 fuel pump from RRM, now to focus on manifold. Can anyone tell me what information will an exhaust shop need in order for them to make me a custom manifold that fits my exhaust header flange and the turbo? That is considering if I decide to go that route instead of speedcorps manifold.

Last edited by OZreef; Jul 29, 2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:48 PM

Received the injectors today and posted up pics. Now I'm in contact with japordie about buying his turbo manifold, hopefully that works out well. Also if people can give me ideas on what gauges do I need would be greatly appreciated, so far I know I need a wideband and boost gauge but there are so many other gauges like water temp, egt etc and then there are those that does the job of multiple gauges so I'm not sure which is a must and which is just an accessory.

Last edited by OZreef; Jul 30, 2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:05 PM

I would recommend: AEM UEGO Wideband, a good boost gauge, like greddy or aem tru-boost, an egt gauge, and an oil pressure / temp.

All of those would give you a pretty much complete idea of how your car is running, and if something were to break. You would know immediately without causing damage to something that doesn't need to be damaged.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking good so far man sounds like your on the right path. The walbro pump is all you need, everything will hook up to that just fine. It is a slight bit bigger than your stock pump you will have to shave the plastic cap on your pump housing for it to fit, pretty easy process.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:58 PM

thanks guys for answering my questions, yeah the guy at RRM told me the exact same thing you said 03lances. I just got bit confused because of all those merchant sites selling the pump talks about a installation kit and filter. That's a lot of gauges to buy.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some merchants wanna get as much outta you as you can lol. EGT isnt necesary, I bought one just for another form of safety net but have never came anywhere near the danger zone with my egts no matter how screwed up my tune was lol. UEGO, boost and oil pressure for sure, you will know real fast if you have a leak in your oil line or anywhere else.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 03lances
Some merchants wanna get as much outta you as you can lol. EGT isnt necesary, I bought one just for another form of safety net but have never came anywhere near the danger zone with my egts no matter how screwed up my tune was lol. UEGO, boost and oil pressure for sure, you will know real fast if you have a leak in your oil line or anywhere else.
Correction! EGT is needed for tuning TECHNICALLY. but most people get around without using it(like you). dont forget, when your tuning you have to keep an eye of your temps, that has to do with your combustion tempature also! that is if your going to truely push your car to make all the pony's possible.

Side note: i dont, and will more then likely never have an egt on my car.. cuz im the ****!

Quick Reply: OZ turbo project