Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Mitsu.kid.kid's Turbo thread!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2010, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
k i think i have a weird problem here.. From my understanding the turbo is suppost to lag until a certain RPM (right around 3000 or so i belive) Well i did a slow pull only in 2d gear, all the way till readline..No boost in fact the vac was right at 15... I thought even if you were to hold the car at lets say 3000 rpm the turbo is suppost to spool and make boost.. but mine only does if you are WOT, and only 3 PSI max. Im uploading a vid.. any ideas??? Im still a total newb so bear with me lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaT2k0yfZNM

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Sep 14, 2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
thats only if you accelerate bro, it doesnt matter if you do a slow pull, or normal, when you punch it, your exhaust gases flow faster till a certain point that spools the turbo then it picks up even faster because of the forced air.

the only way your turbo will spool up is if you accelerate or hit the gas
Old Sep 14, 2010, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

yea he is rite usually wen im cruising in the highway not hitting gas much my boost vac reads -10 but its as soon as u hit it n give it gas that the vac starts going up your car sounds n looks good jus get that bad boy tuned and raise that psi lol wat r u planning on going to? 7psi?
Old Sep 14, 2010, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steven121
thats only if you accelerate bro, it doesnt matter if you do a slow pull, or normal, when you punch it, your exhaust gases flow faster till a certain point that spools the turbo then it picks up even faster because of the forced air.

the only way your turbo will spool up is if you accelerate or hit the gas
Ok i see what your sayin, so basically i could be doin 100MPH crusing at 5,000 RPMs and i would still read vac cuz im not punchin it? I think i understand what you mean bro, thank you for clearing that up for me...i still think i have a boost leak somewhere if i cant reach the full 5 PSI tho

Originally Posted by Ballamouse698
yea he is rite usually wen im cruising in the highway not hitting gas much my boost vac reads -10 but its as soon as u hit it n give it gas that the vac starts going up your car sounds n looks good jus get that bad boy tuned and raise that psi lol wat r u planning on going to? 7psi?
Thanks bro Yeah i have the e-manage in it for now, and im waiting for some clips for the bigger 370cc injectors. Right now i want to run 5 PSI, stock injectors, But i cant seem to build the boost higher than 2-3 PSI, and i cant even hear the turbo or DV, prob cuz its so low in PSI? Im using the e-manage blue for tuning and i have a map to work with once the clips arrive so i can install the larger injectors, once those are in i want to run 8 PSI DD. Now the e-manage is nothing like the Tactix cable, but basically i can tune it while driving...I have the injector harness to controll fuel..basically just make sure its around 11.5 ARF in boost right? When i get the larger injectors im going to get the ignition timing harness as well, but i have no way of logging knock. First i must find the leaks!!

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Sep 14, 2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mitsu.kid.02
Ok i see what your sayin, so basically i could be doin 100MPH crusing at 5,000 RPMs and i would still read vac cuz im not punchin it? I think i understand what you mean bro, thank you for clearing that up for me...i still think i have a boost leak somewhere if i cant reach the full 5 PSI tho

Thanks bro Yeah i have the e-manage in it for now, and im waiting for some clips for the bigger 370cc injectors. Right now i want to run 5 PSI, stock injectors, But i cant seem to build the boost higher than 2-3 PSI, and i cant even hear the turbo or DV, prob cuz its so low in PSI? Im using the e-manage blue for tuning and i have a map to work with once the clips arrive so i can install the larger injectors, once those are in i want to run 8 PSI DD. Now the e-manage is nothing like the Tactix cable, but basically i can tune it while driving...I have the injector harness to controll fuel..basically just make sure its around 11.5 ARF in boost right? When i get the larger injectors im going to get the ignition timing harness as well, but i have no way of logging knock. First i must find the leaks!!
Niceeee emanage is rawww likey very much yea i know everyone says that tactrix cable is the truth but hey to each their own i think they are all good in their own way but yea i read earlier that your acctuator spring is set for min 5psi so thats what u should b running nothing less so def a leak but dnt worry i have had my turbo for almost 1 month already and finally have it running perfect with my pulley n tranny cooler n all i kno how u feel u start thinking how bout if its this thats mest up n not a leak n u worry but trust once u find that dam leak u will b like awww all cuz of this then u fix n booommmmm boostttt timeeee lolol wen i had a leak u coulndt hear my BOV at allll my car sounded horrible it was bad lol and 8psi is niceee im hopin to mayb do 9-10 in the near future but yea 11.5-11.7 around what u want when hitting boost i run super rich im like at 10.7 i get a lil bit of backfire 2 from it which i like sound lol but once i do my own tune of piggy hopefully ill b at 11.5-11.7 aywayz i always heard it was worst to b running lean than rich lol but goodluck on finding that bloody leakkkk lol
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

oo yea and also be happy u dont always hit boost when cruising cuz one important lesson i learned my first day i went crazy with my boost the more u hit boost the more bye bye u say to gas lol my first fill up full tank lasted me like 3 days cuz i was going crazy later learned how to just reach that crusin speed witout boost n now im bak to saving lol
Old Sep 15, 2010, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ballamouse698
oo yea and also be happy u dont always hit boost when cruising cuz one important lesson i learned my first day i went crazy with my boost the more u hit boost the more bye bye u say to gas lol my first fill up full tank lasted me like 3 days cuz i was going crazy later learned how to just reach that crusin speed witout boost n now im bak to saving lol
Haha yeah, i understand the concept now. Basically you could be cruzin at 80 MPH with the RPMS at 5k and i would still be in vac. Only when you accelerate does the turbo begin to build boost off of the increesed exhaust flow, to spin the turbo and build boost. So im pretty on point there So basically i prob have a huge boost leak somewhere...if its only hitting 3 PSI MAX, its prob pretty big, i would think if it were small it would atleast build the 5 PSI or 4.5 and slowly taper off from there if it were small...so i guess ill buy the stuff today to do a boost leak test...Now do i just take off the filter and attach the boost leak test coupler there, or do i take the intake off the turbo and attach it to the turbo?
Old Sep 15, 2010, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

attach to turbo
Old Sep 15, 2010, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by link62
attach to turbo
Thanks man...how much PSI should i put into it? 20 or so?
Old Sep 15, 2010, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks man...how much PSI should i put into it? 20 or so?
you put in as much as you are actually boosting so say 5 you put in 5
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by link62
you put in as much as you are actually boosting so say 5 you put in 5
Thanks for the help bro, ill let you guys know if i find some leaks!
Old Sep 16, 2010, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

So i found a small leak from the vac line connecting to my boost gauge, fixed that. Then i started compressing air again, i tested to make sure the WGA was working and it opens, it opens really slow tho, i should have looked at the boost gauge to see at what pressure it started to open, by the time it was fully open it was right around 8 PSI, is this normal with the 5-10 Spring? Also the POS plastic evo 8 DV nipple broke off, so i had to plug up the vac line. I cant boost until i get a new DV/BOV right? My buddy is suppost to be hookin me up with a turbo smart BOV today so i can start tuning. what would happen if i boosted with the BOV vac line not attached, Compressor surge?

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Sep 16, 2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

EDIT:*- Also got a check engine for system too lean bank one (P0171)

FREEZE FRAME DATA:
DTC- P0171
FUEL_SYS- OL-DRIVE
ETC (degrees F)- 190
STFT (%)- 24.2
LTFT (%)- 15.5
RPM- 1,871
VSS (MPH)- 31

A P0171 check engine light code is set when the computer has reached a rich calibration limit and can not add enough fuel to maintain the correct mixture.
** Did this trip because i was in boost?? at 1,871RPM?? Maybe because i let off the gas and it reads lean? Maxed out stock injectors?? Im only reading 3 PSI MAX hmmm...
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
EDIT:*- Also got a check engine for system too lean bank one (P0171)

FREEZE FRAME DATA:
DTC- P0171
FUEL_SYS- OL-DRIVE
ETC (degrees F)- 190
STFT (%)- 24.2
LTFT (%)- 15.5
RPM- 1,871
VSS (MPH)- 31

A P0171 check engine light code is set when the computer has reached a rich calibration limit and can not add enough fuel to maintain the correct mixture.
** Did this trip because i was in boost?? at 1,871RPM?? Maybe because i let off the gas and it reads lean? Maxed out stock injectors?? Im only reading 3 PSI MAX hmmm...

bro its time for new injectors, they can only handle so much. get some 440 injectors
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steven121
bro its time for new injectors, they can only handle so much. get some 440 injectors
I was told they were good till 7 PSI or so lol I kno i kno bro i have RC370cc injectors wich im assuming will be fine for my set up (8PSI MAX DD) Im just waiting on some clips for the injectors! If i get the tactrix cable could someone be kind enough to help me with a base map to start on for 5 PSI?

I thought that the STFT and the LTFT are suppost to be as close to zero as possible right?add them up and suppost to cancel eachother out.. for example STFT=-1 LTFT=+1 -1+1=0. Are positive numbers lean and negitive numbers zero? If so i have a major problem with a +39.7 reading the freeze frame data showed?!?!

STFT (%) 24.2
LTFT (%) 15.5

DTC: P0171

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Sep 16, 2010 at 01:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Mitsu.kid.kid's Turbo thread!