Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Mitsu.kid.kid's Turbo thread!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2010, 04:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sawulkn
im not exactly sure how many miles were on the turbo, approx. 13k i believe, 10k when i bought it and i only ran it hard once and i never saw past 5psi (occasional spike to 7). had no shaft play or leaks since.

damn that sucks man...were you hitting boost when it happened? ive never blown a turbo, so im trying to get a good idea what to look/hear for.

Well what happened was my friend was like dood, when you get on the gas you can see a little smoke, and i was like oh its cool man, most turbo cars do that, just the extra fuel runnin through and being a little rich. Then on my way home from cars and copters (car show) last night i boosted to 5 psi, then while cruising it would randomly just smoke, then stop. So i got home and sat in the driveway and reved the car and held it till 3,000 RPM and all blue smoke came out. It was very light blue so i figured this wasnt happeneing in the combustion chamber, usually when oil burnes from worn rings its very blue, this was a light blue, so i took off the intake, and the the turbo fins/ and housing, and the intake were covered in oil, like a puddle. So then i was like this must be the prob. I wiggled the turbo for sharft play and it had quite a bit. So im thinking the light blue smoke was from the leak and it leaking into the hotside of the turbo and burning off through the exhaust (thats why it wasnt pure blue) So i guess ill look up how to re-build this 16g turbo and ill do a how to on it for any of you guys that need it in the future incase it happens to you...just sucks tho i was gettin used to the tubo bein there.

http://www.gpopshop.com/mitsubishikits.html Will this rebuild kit work?? its only 89.00 It includes all the seals/rings/ and clips, do i still need the shaft and the propellers?

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Sep 20, 2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorry to hear about the turbo. Do you have any pictures of how you set up your oil return line from the turbo to the upper oil pan? This can make or break a turbo setup on a Lancer. The lean conditions and (likely) higher EGTs as a result probably didn't help any either. G-Pop Shop is definitely a good source for turbo rebuilds, though. You've got the right idea!
Old Sep 20, 2010, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by senate6268
Sorry to hear about the turbo. Do you have any pictures of how you set up your oil return line from the turbo to the upper oil pan? This can make or break a turbo setup on a Lancer. The lean conditions and (likely) higher EGTs as a result probably didn't help any either. G-Pop Shop is definitely a good source for turbo rebuilds, though. You've got the right idea!

I dont have any more pics, but i had the feed line i used rubber fuel line, no kinks or big bends, i ran right to the oil filter sandwich adapter plate. The reuturn line was a nice straight shot to the pan, 5/8 hose. :-( no sure what happened here, but the propellers look ok so hopefully i can just re-build it, im thinking a seal blew since its blowing smoke and oil was coming out of the turbo puddleing onto the intake, time for a re-build! Sucks tho, should there be any shaft play at all, like whats normal? there is no in and out play, but alot of up and down and side to side play, and it leaks oil
Old Sep 20, 2010, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Guys this is the picture of the blown turbo, notice the oil dripping out...

It dripped out and made a puddle in the intake. Taking off the turbo, oil was forced down the j-pipe and into the intercooler, covered... The turbo needs a new re-build. We started the car with no headers to make sure it wasnt the rings...we got no smoke, the engine is fine, however the turbo was burning oil in the hotside, also the leak was so bad it foced oil all the way into the intercooler :-( time for some heavy cleaning...dont worry guys ill have this turbo up and spooling again soon!

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Sep 20, 2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Is your PCV connections attached to the intake hose pre turbo? Your engine is making more pressure and that pressure sends oil out those lines and if run to your intake, it will go through the compressor, pool in the intercooler and what makes it to the engine still as vapor goes out the exhaust. Clean the intake path and run a catch can cause your turbo is probably still good if your car isnt smoking out the exhaust at idle
Old Sep 20, 2010, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cincy
Is your PCV connections attached to the intake hose pre turbo? Your engine is making more pressure and that pressure sends oil out those lines and if run to your intake, it will go through the compressor, pool in the intercooler and what makes it to the engine still as vapor goes out the exhaust. Clean the intake path and run a catch can cause your turbo is probably still good if your car isnt smoking out the exhaust at idle
At idle the exhaust putts blue, its deff the turbo, the shaft play is excessive. The seal must be shot. The PCV valce is not clogged and i have the line running to a can, then the vent comming off the valve cover on the side, into the intake before the turbo. Should i just plug up nipple on the evo intake?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 09:49 AM
JRR
Evolved Member

where exactly did you "tap the pan"? on the black or silver part of the block?

also that rebuild will not work since we have TD05 turbos, not TD04's
Old Sep 20, 2010, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JRR
where exactly did you "tap the pan"? on the black or silver part of the block?

also that rebuild will not work since we have TD05 turbos, not TD04's
The pan is tapped on the silver part heres a pic:

Old Sep 20, 2010, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a rebuild kit for the tdo5 further down that page.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 02:25 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mitsu.kid.02
The pan is tapped on the silver part heres a pic:

ok just making sure that it was above the oil level and not "feeding into" itself

Originally Posted by 03lances
There is a rebuild kit for the tdo5 further down that page.

ahh yes did not see that....
Old Sep 20, 2010, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JRR
ok just making sure that it was above the oil level and not "feeding into" itself

Yea i hear thats bad if you do that, i made sure i did my time to study.

ahh yes did not see that....
Yeah i will prob just end up getting the rebuild kit.. now the rebuild kit comes with all the stuff except for the hard peices like the actual shaft and fins. I can reuse these parts even if i have "shaft play"?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

WOWWWW!!! i cannot believe that **** happen to u meng really sucks but im glad u making fast and str8 progress to fix good luck on that meng did you find out why oil got in the turbo in the first place tho?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ballamouse698
WOWWWW!!! i cannot believe that **** happen to u meng really sucks but im glad u making fast and str8 progress to fix good luck on that meng did you find out why oil got in the turbo in the first place tho?

I know rite man? one full week it lasted before the turbo gave out.. :-( Well im pretty sure the seal or bearings are shot, ill post a vid of the shaft play and what not tomorro im starting to take it apart now
Old Sep 20, 2010, 09:49 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mitsu.kid.02
Yeah i will prob just end up getting the rebuild kit.. now the rebuild kit comes with all the stuff except for the hard peices like the actual shaft and fins. I can reuse these parts even if i have "shaft play"?
ya theres nothing wrong with the shaft its the bearings and the seals that give it its play..
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JRR
ya theres nothing wrong with the shaft its the bearings and the seals that give it its play..

Thanks man. Im uploading a video right now for you guys to see, i took apart the turbo so you guys can take a look

Quick Reply: Mitsu.kid.kid's Turbo thread!