Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Mitsu.kid.kid's Turbo thread!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2010, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by link62
you got it right, it can only go one way lol but yea once u get the fans out youll have more room but if you move the overflow tank out of the way ill give it more room also but once you get all they piping in you can slowly adjust it till it all fits
Ok, so i just have to free up some room, gotcha! Thats good! Ok, another question. When tapping the oil pan i know where to drill cuz i found some pics, but the size is 1/2NPT to 5/8 hose barb right? Tap with 3/8, wrap in teflon tape install, do i screw it in all the way? then JB weld it? I wont have a welder over the weekend! As for the feed, i have a oil filter sandwich plate adapter...so i get a section of -4AN steel braided line? how do i connect it? thread i nipple into the sandwich plate and clamp the steel braided line on? Kind of confused here i have searched around but im not sure what -4AN means really? Is tthis what i need? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-Sta...Q5fAccessories how long?

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Aug 27, 2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mitsu.kid.02
Ok, so i just have to free up some room, gotcha! Thats good! Ok, another question. When tapping the oil pan i know where to drill cuz i found some pics, but the size is 1/2NPT to 5/8 hose barb right? Tap with 3/8, wrap in teflon tape install, do i screw it in all the way? then JB weld it? I wont have a welder over the weekend! As for the feed, i have a oil filter sandwich plate adapter...so i get a section of -4AN steel braided line? how do i connect it? thread i nipple into the sandwich plate and clamp the steel braided line on? Kind of confused here i have searched around but im not sure what -4AN means really? Is tthis what i need? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-Sta...Q5fAccessories how long?
Careful if you try to weld the oil pan, it's aluminum and takes care and knowledge or you'll burn holes in it quickly. I've read all sorts of things on the oil return, and each one is a little different. Some tap the hole with a 1/2 npt, and then thread it on (not hardcore tight, but say slight wrench use, but very light touch) and then JB weld the threads as they do that. Some use a sandwich method, with no tap, using a rubber washer and nut on the inside, so they don't have to rely on the strengh of the aluminum oil pan to hold the barb. Some say you should get something threaded, and use a threaded return hose because it's more professional, and more reliable than a hose clamp... It really is a tough decision, that you have to gauge what you want. I think I am going to pay someone with the smarts and equipment to do it, to weld my barb in (cause i can't weld aluminum) although I may need a different barb, since like materials are usually welded together.

That line is too short, get 4 feet of 4an line, braided and the best quality you can afford. Also, be careful when installing it not to let it touch hot things, you don't want it to get holes.

As far as the sandwich, it should come with 3 (or 4) holes, and you'll need adapters to fit in like you said. Here's a link to one, http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/oilfi...5thread-1.aspx where you can see an adapter being used. If i had to do it all over again, I'd get the sandwich over using the nut just above the oil filter (easier to add oil pressure gauge later)
Old Aug 28, 2010, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HornstarBU
Careful if you try to weld the oil pan, it's aluminum and takes care and knowledge or you'll burn holes in it quickly. I've read all sorts of things on the oil return, and each one is a little different. Some tap the hole with a 1/2 npt, and then thread it on (not hardcore tight, but say slight wrench use, but very light touch) and then JB weld the threads as they do that. Some use a sandwich method, with no tap, using a rubber washer and nut on the inside, so they don't have to rely on the strengh of the aluminum oil pan to hold the barb. Some say you should get something threaded, and use a threaded return hose because it's more professional, and more reliable than a hose clamp... It really is a tough decision, that you have to gauge what you want. I think I am going to pay someone with the smarts and equipment to do it, to weld my barb in (cause i can't weld aluminum) although I may need a different barb, since like materials are usually welded together.

That line is too short, get 4 feet of 4an line, braided and the best quality you can afford. Also, be careful when installing it not to let it touch hot things, you don't want it to get holes.

As far as the sandwich, it should come with 3 (or 4) holes, and you'll need adapters to fit in like you said. Here's a link to one, http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/oilfi...5thread-1.aspx where you can see an adapter being used. If i had to do it all over again, I'd get the sandwich over using the nut just above the oil filter (easier to add oil pressure gauge later)

Yeah im going to use my sandwhich adapter plate! ill get 4 feet, -4an steel braided line, and use my sandwich adapter plate for it! So now that i got that figured out...also found out that i cant use an evo 9 j-pipe as it hits the wastegate actuator..ugh so i need a evo 8 j-pipe, also i got my 10'' slim fan in today, do i need to take off the radiator to mount it? how the hell do you mound this thing? haha
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:39 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

so your gonna run your oil return in thru the adapter plate?........?
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah im going to use my sandwhich adapter plate! ill get 4 feet, -4an steel braided line, and use my sandwich adapter plate for it! So now that i got that figured out...also found out that i cant use an evo 9 j-pipe as it hits the wastegate actuator..ugh so i need a evo 8 j-pipe, also i got my 10'' slim fan in today, do i need to take off the radiator to mount it? how the hell do you mound this thing? haha
I had a feeling this would be the case that sucks man but at least you found out now.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

go to auto zone and tell them that you need an electric fan mounting kit, looks like this http://www.jegs.com/i/Wysco/938/WA13...0002/-1?CT=999

Last edited by link62; Aug 28, 2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JRR
so your gonna run your oil return in thru the adapter plate?........?
nooo... the feed line thru the oil filter adapter plate!

Originally Posted by 03lances
I had a feeling this would be the case that sucks man but at least you found out now.
Yep :-( im on the hunt for one now

Originally Posted by link62
go to auto zone and tell them that you need an electric fan mounting kit, looks like this http://www.jegs.com/i/Wysco/938/WA13...0002/-1?CT=999
Will do thanks bro!
Old Aug 28, 2010, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
bro I reccomend you get your oil pan welded by someone who knows how, I did and it works great, I went to a place in fort worth called wolf race craft of something like that, and i got a 8 an 45degree bend, with a 8 an screw on adapter with a 3/8 of an inch hose and I used that as my oil return, it leaks a little from the screw part, but I just got to tighten it, got kinda rushed by work but I will do that this week I will give you the links here on what I did.

This is an option not a suggestion

http://www.wolferacecraft.com/detail.aspx?ID=458 - 45 degree

http://www.wolferacecraft.com/detail.aspx?ID=433 - straight screw on

and I originally bought ss braid but that was a PITA to do so I kinda threw it away and stuck with a high heat rubber hose.

and also a weld on aluminum bung

and this will fit nice if you get a oil return barb flange for the turbo.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

I just drilled a hole in my pan and tapped in some threads then threaded a 5/8" barb fitting right in. No nut on the other end no welding it or any jb weld just screwed in with some Teflon on the threads and snugged down. I haven't had a single drop of oil from anywhere since my build
Old Aug 28, 2010, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

I just drilled a hole in my pan and tapped in some threads then threaded a 5/8" barb fitting right in. No nut on the other end no welding it or any jb weld just screwed in with some Teflon on the threads and snugged down. I haven't had a single drop of oil from anywhere since my build

Thats awesome man Ill just make sure i really take my time when im doing it! can i install the slim fan without taking the radiator off? Will the horns get it the way? I was goin to do it tonite but i was too busy, so any heads up would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

IIRC I mad both horns on the drivers side to free up space for the fan
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Thats awesome man Ill just make sure i really take my time when im doing it! can i install the slim fan without taking the radiator off? Will the horns get it the way? I was goin to do it tonite but i was too busy, so any heads up would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
they will fit just fine, the left side will, but if your doing the right I had a little bit of a problem, so i bought a 7 inch but I heard you can do a 10 inch but im not sure how
Old Aug 30, 2010, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steven121
bro I reccomend you get your oil pan welded by someone who knows how, I did and it works great, I went to a place in fort worth called wolf race craft of something like that, and i got a 8 an 45degree bend, with a 8 an screw on adapter with a 3/8 of an inch hose and I used that as my oil return, it leaks a little from the screw part, but I just got to tighten it, got kinda rushed by work but I will do that this week I will give you the links here on what I did.

This is an option not a suggestion

http://www.wolferacecraft.com/detail.aspx?ID=458 - 45 degree

http://www.wolferacecraft.com/detail.aspx?ID=433 - straight screw on

and I originally bought ss braid but that was a PITA to do so I kinda threw it away and stuck with a high heat rubber hose.

and also a weld on aluminum bung

and this will fit nice if you get a oil return barb flange for the turbo.
Got ya, thanks for the info man!

IIRC I mad both horns on the drivers side to free up space for the fan
I was thinking if i had to do that i would, but i didnt know if it would fit with both them there

Originally Posted by steven121
they will fit just fine, the left side will, but if your doing the right I had a little bit of a problem, so i bought a 7 inch but I heard you can do a 10 inch but im not sure how
well if your looking at the car from the front its the left side on the outside of the radiator, if you were inside the car it would be the right side. You set it to push the air i think?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Got ya, thanks for the info man!

I was thinking if i had to do that i would, but i didnt know if it would fit with both them there

well if your looking at the car from the front its the left side on the outside of the radiator, if you were inside the car it would be the right side. You set it to push the air i think?
If your looking at the car its the right side I just installed a 7 inch slim fan
Old Aug 30, 2010, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

i got both my 10in fans to fit with the horns till there just bent the brackets a lil

Quick Reply: Mitsu.kid.kid's Turbo thread!