Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

05 Lancer Injector Setup

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2010, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Lancer Injector Setup

Ok as some of you might know i recently got my turbo kit put in my car it runs pretty good with a couple minor lil things here and there that im slowly taking care of as i get the money lol i was told earlier how RRM tunes their piggybak to run real rich and that was tru tho notin seriously wrong with it i would like to be able mayb to tune car myself(and by myself i mean take it to my mechanics shop with a dyno to get tuned lol) my friend has been recommending me since first day to ditch the 5 injector setup n get the 440cc's n a tuning system like greddy or apexi safc some one told me this wasnt possible since i had a returnless fuel system but my friends spec-v also have that and he runs his with 440cc with apexi safc i know we are 2 diff cars thats why i made this post so someone could help me out with this and to c if it was possible to run the setup or no? thanks for the help
Old Sep 2, 2010, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ballamouse698
Ok as some of you might know i recently got my turbo kit put in my car it runs pretty good with a couple minor lil things here and there that im slowly taking care of as i get the money lol i was told earlier how RRM tunes their piggybak to run real rich and that was tru tho notin seriously wrong with it i would like to be able mayb to tune car myself(and by myself i mean take it to my mechanics shop with a dyno to get tuned lol) my friend has been recommending me since first day to ditch the 5 injector setup n get the 440cc's n a tuning system like greddy or apexi safc some one told me this wasnt possible since i had a returnless fuel system but my friends spec-v also have that and he runs his with 440cc with apexi safc i know we are 2 diff cars thats why i made this post so someone could help me out with this and to c if it was possible to run the setup or no? thanks for the help
I don't know why you couldn't use 440's and a tactrix cable to tune it up nice.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HornstarBU
I don't know why you couldn't use 440's and a tactrix cable to tune it up nice.
U think? Why do say that? and as far as the tactrix cable how does that work? thanks for the help
Old Sep 3, 2010, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

U think? Why do say that? and as far as the tactrix cable how does that work? thanks for the help
Well, all returnless means I believe is that the fuel isn't circulated around from the tank to rail and back. It instead sits there at a constant pressure, so vacuum isn't needed to make adjustments or whatever. Point being, there are still fuel injectors squirting fuel, and if you replace them with ones that can squirt more fuel, they will still do that.

Tactrix cable is an OBDII connection to a usb on your laptop. You use ECUFlash and EVOScan to flash your existing cars ROM (ie no piggy back) and to log data while tuning. Cable is between 150-200 bucks if you include the 25 dollars for ecuflash, and it's pretty easy to use once you read up on it a bit. You can also flash the actual evo rom IF YOU ARE A MANUAL not auto, and I'm not sure which you are.

Still, emanage and the neo can use larger fuel injectors i believe, but i'm not sure the price, you usually need an extra module. Maybe some confusion about fuel came in because you are returnless, and some people use an FMU that restricts fuel flow on the return line to increase pressure to the injectors. This is sort of a band-aid fix for those who do not want to replace their stock injectors. It is much less accurate and puts much more stress on the fuel lines that weren't meant to be run with fuel in them at like (10lbs of boost x 12 psi per pound) 120psi extra over the stock fuel pressure of like...30 or whatever.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Well, all returnless means I believe is that the fuel isn't circulated around from the tank to rail and back. It instead sits there at a constant pressure, so vacuum isn't needed to make adjustments or whatever. Point being, there are still fuel injectors squirting fuel, and if you replace them with ones that can squirt more fuel, they will still do that.

Tactrix cable is an OBDII connection to a usb on your laptop. You use ECUFlash and EVOScan to flash your existing cars ROM (ie no piggy back) and to log data while tuning. Cable is between 150-200 bucks if you include the 25 dollars for ecuflash, and it's pretty easy to use once you read up on it a bit. You can also flash the actual evo rom IF YOU ARE A MANUAL not auto, and I'm not sure which you are.

Still, emanage and the neo can use larger fuel injectors i believe, but i'm not sure the price, you usually need an extra module. Maybe some confusion about fuel came in because you are returnless, and some people use an FMU that restricts fuel flow on the return line to increase pressure to the injectors. This is sort of a band-aid fix for those who do not want to replace their stock injectors. It is much less accurate and puts much more stress on the fuel lines that weren't meant to be run with fuel in them at like (10lbs of boost x 12 psi per pound) 120psi extra over the stock fuel pressure of like...30 or whatever.
nice niceee ok so im gonna def start looking into switching into the 440's but as far as a tuning system you wouldnt recommend a greddy or apexi safc? cuz i kind of understand the Tactrix but i have an automatic and also would kind of like to be able to control my fuel anytime needed not sure if i can do that with tactrix or if i need to hook it up to laptop everytime im tryn to change fuel and as far as the flash if its better than the piggybak which rite now im not feeling at all lol also dont know how hard the process is of flashing n stuff thanks for help
Old Sep 3, 2010, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
nice niceee ok so im gonna def start looking into switching into the 440's but as far as a tuning system you wouldnt recommend a greddy or apexi safc? cuz i kind of understand the Tactrix but i have an automatic and also would kind of like to be able to control my fuel anytime needed not sure if i can do that with tactrix or if i need to hook it up to laptop everytime im tryn to change fuel and as far as the flash if its better than the piggybak which rite now im not feeling at all lol also dont know how hard the process is of flashing n stuff thanks for help
bro tactrix cable, ecu flash, and 440's cheaper and alot better gives you control of your car, I can do some things on ecuflash but I had alot of help with the tuning.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steven121
bro tactrix cable, ecu flash, and 440's cheaper and alot better gives you control of your car, I can do some things on ecuflash but I had alot of help with the tuning.
4reel and u recommend i do that with my 05 setup? and as far as tuning help if i take tactrix and ecu flash n inj to my mechanics shop which has a dyno n tunes car for a living you think he will do good things becuase rite now im having a major problem with my car that started tuesday but today it got super bad and my friend tells me its the piggybak so i think its time for a change imma post vids to help u guys c wat im talking about

thankss guys all the help greatly appreciated

Last edited by Ballamouse698; Sep 3, 2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

ooo and sorry for commentary but video was made for my friend 2 c 2 help but he told me to also post for more help lol thanks
Old Sep 4, 2010, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

I think it's all about your preference, but I'd go with Tactrix. Even if you are Automatic, you can tune the stock ECU, and there was also some pretty nice development into using the EVO VII GTA rom for an auto trans. Check the thread about "you can flash the evo rom to a lancer" thread, and find the examples about 4g94T where he's testing the EVO7 rom. Key point is everything the piggyback is doing, all can be done with the tactrix and more.

About the problem you have in the videos, I don't know for sure but you may have some electrical problems in that last video. did you check to make sure the gauges are properly grounded?
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

I think it's all about your preference, but I'd go with Tactrix. Even if you are Automatic, you can tune the stock ECU, and there was also some pretty nice development into using the EVO VII GTA rom for an auto trans. Check the thread about "you can flash the evo rom to a lancer" thread, and find the examples about 4g94T where he's testing the EVO7 rom. Key point is everything the piggyback is doing, all can be done with the tactrix and more.

About the problem you have in the videos, I don't know for sure but you may have some electrical problems in that last video. did you check to make sure the gauges are properly grounded?
ok ok imma def research the tactrix system but ur also sayin if i wanted to i could greddy emanage or apexi safc rite? and as far as the The evorom does that work better than this dam piggy lolol i dnt tink its electrical unless ur sayin its skmetin electrically wrong with my piggy becuz my guages r st up oerfect and also my car is fluttering n acting weird as these things happen so cnt b electrical only thanks for help
Old Sep 4, 2010, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

its not the evo vii rom we are using because we decided that the rom wasnt gonna work due to it giving us problems with the trasmission , but its a mix of the evo tephra v7 and my stock rom and i was mainly the one that worked with roadspike to get it safe to be published, right now 4g94t was working with roadspike on some extra things that would help him

Last edited by link62; Sep 4, 2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

ok ok imma def research the tactrix system but ur also sayin if i wanted to i could greddy emanage or apexi safc rite? and as far as the The evorom does that work better than this dam piggy lolol i dnt tink its electrical unless ur sayin its skmetin electrically wrong with my piggy becuz my guages r st up oerfect and also my car is fluttering n acting weird as these things happen so cnt b electrical only thanks for help
Yeah, you could use emanage or apexi's solution. They all basically do the same thing. Adjusting fuel as you press the gas and put the engine under load. Piggy's from what I can tell never do as good a job though, as they are taking the signals that the ecu sends out, and then adjusting them from there. If you can just get that whole piece out of the way, and send the data through the ecu....it's 1 less thing to break.

Also, what's the deal with the boost/vac, it seems like you might have a leak or something maybe? did you do a boost test?
Old Sep 5, 2010, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, you could use emanage or apexi's solution. They all basically do the same thing. Adjusting fuel as you press the gas and put the engine under load. Piggy's from what I can tell never do as good a job though, as they are taking the signals that the ecu sends out, and then adjusting them from there. If you can just get that whole piece out of the way, and send the data through the ecu....it's 1 less thing to break.

Also, what's the deal with the boost/vac, it seems like you might have a leak or something maybe? did you do a boost test?
yea rite now im between getting tactrix or aem fule controller with favor leaning towards tactrix so as soon as i fix this lil prob im having imma do the switch but yea i havent dont boost test but will this week its just i had cheked all my couplers and everything seemed perfectly fine but u never knoe till u do real chek but its def feels like a leak n is acting like one so hopefully it is n it will b quick fix thanks again for help
Old Nov 21, 2010, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to provide fuel to the engine right now since I have the same car as you. I don't like the look of the 5th injector and don't want to waste the money on the piggyback if I can tune the ECU already in the car.

So to clarify all that is needed to do get proper fuel to our engines in a returnless system is:
tactrix cable
EVOscan
and 440cc Injector's

Correct?

Because the other option I was looking into was switching to a return system. I have an Intake Manifold from a 03 OZ in my basement right now. I would just need a fuel line to take it back to the tank and a fuel pump that accepts the return line, right?