Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Decided to Go with a turbo'd Oz Rally

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decided to Go with a turbo'd Oz Rally

Here is my concern, will I have to do a engine drop since I just have a stock block? I read through the noobs threads on a turbo, I know I wont get much more power than 6-8psi and maybe 200 or so hp but I figure I ll have fun with this car since I m going to own it for 3+ years and its almost paid off. So, is there a way to use a g35r with the stock block (not mivac) ? If not what turbo kit is the best? I ve looked at both recommended as far as complete kits from RRM and the other (TSI?) Is it cheeper to build my own kit?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From my personal experience custom is by far the best way to go overall in price, bang for buck, AND you will have a much better chance of diagnosing any issues yourself rather than paying a shop to figure out your issue saving you potentianally more money later on. Second being an RRM kit if you want off the shelf. Trust me when I say this is THE BEST forum you could have possibly joined if you decided to go custom route . I have been running 10 psi for about 8 months now and I mean boosting every time I drive on a stock bottom end. I am still doing fine and debating upping the boost even more its all in the tune bro
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

With the stock block, could it handle a g35r turbo? I know they are slightly pricey but yah their sweet! Umm what kit are you running? I m used to honda's and stuff like that but these lancers still confuse me. With a stock oz rally, what would I have to do to prepare for a turbo build. I know I m a noob , i read through all the threads on turboing but I m still lost.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 03lances
From my personal experience custom is by far the best way to go overall in price, bang for buck, AND you will have a much better chance of diagnosing any issues yourself rather than paying a shop to figure out your issue saving you potentianally more money later on. Second being an RRM kit if you want off the shelf. Trust me when I say this is THE BEST forum you could have possibly joined if you decided to go custom route . I have been running 10 psi for about 8 months now and I mean boosting every time I drive on a stock bottom end. I am still doing fine and debating upping the boost even more its all in the tune bro
+1 I have been boosting my lancer for almost a month so far, and I saved up for the kit in about 9 months buying part by part. I plan on buying an evo soon because my dad wants me to keep upgrading cars because they depreciate in value.... which is true. But he doesnt know when he helps me buy the evo im keeping it for a long time. But while I have the lancer I will enjoy her because I owned her for about 3 years and I never had a single probem , and trust me boosting the lancer is fun and I always boost all the time because its super sweet man especially when the bov goes off people are like wtf... But yeah go custom bro read some of our forums to see what we did and you can pretty much make a decision yourself.

One more thing do not but that tsi kit... I think thats the one with the T-25 turbo. Your going to spend 2500 and that doesnt include all your gauges, and injectors... if you go custom you will spend 2500 but you will have all the parts you need like 03lance said more bang for the buck.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lancer XI1
With the stock block, could it handle a g35r turbo? I know they are slightly pricey but yah their sweet! Umm what kit are you running? I m used to honda's and stuff like that but these lancers still confuse me. With a stock oz rally, what would I have to do to prepare for a turbo build. I know I m a noob , i read through all the threads on turboing but I m still lost.
Stock bottom end lancer with a g35r turbo is really a waste of a turbo. My opinion either go stock block with a 16g turbo out of a evo 8. Cheap and good quality since its an oem mistu part made to last. OR G35r with built block so you can actually utilize what that turbo has to offer.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:18 PM
Evolving Member

yah I was guessing that...eventually if I hit around 150,000 miles if I have this car, I ll do a 2.4 mivac drop but thats about 50,000 miles away. So custom kit would cost me about 2,500? If so, thats not too bad. With parts where did you guys find all the parts? Also, looking at the oz rally tail lights, do you think a evo tail light will fit in there? My tail light forms a triangle at the end where the bumper and the tail light connects.

Last edited by Lancer XI1; Sep 10, 2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly it depends on what you want to do ppl have done a full kit for $1700. I have spent max $2500 and that includes EVERYTHING in my signature ( other than cosmetic) I was BONE STOCK before this build. Thats gauges, clutch, intercooled turbo kit, fuel pump, injectors and even the cable I use with ecuflash and evoscan to log and tune.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

I would love to find an evo with a blown engine and do a 2.4 strocker using an eclipse block and evo head myself but alas I have other items that need my attention at the moment
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:29 PM
Evolving Member

Honestly it depends on what you want to do ppl have done a full kit for $1700. I have spent max $2500 and that includes EVERYTHING in my signature ( other than cosmetic) I was BONE STOCK before this build. Thats gauges, clutch, intercooled turbo kit, fuel pump, injectors and even the cable I use with ecuflash and evoscan to log and tune.

I m content with just 7 psi how can I acomplish that?
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

16g turbo, evo 8 or 9 FMIC, if you stay with the internal wastegate you will have to get a forge adjustable wastegate actuator otherwise you will boost stock evo psi like 15-18 and POP. I have a list on the first page of my thread in my sig. You can check that out and I am happy to answer any question you have after that.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 01:52 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks man! I ll check into it, going for this build over the next 2 years so it wont be too hard to save some money for it.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Stock bottom end lancer with a g35r turbo is really a waste of a turbo. My opinion either go stock block with a 16g turbo out of a evo 8. Cheap and good quality since its an oem mistu part made to last. OR G35r with built block so you can actually utilize what that turbo has to offer.
u will be utilizing the power band either way.. But u will not get into a good efficenty range for either turbo..
at 6-8psi u will make much better power uptop with a gt35r then u would with the 16g.

and the motor would handle 6-8psi with a gt35 without any problems as long as the car is tuned properly size of the turbo really doesnt matter in our case because if it was to big or flowed to much air are motor just wouldnt be able to spool it.

Cost would be alot more.. not to mention an expensive turbo(assuming u get good parts) no one offers aprts for a t3 or t4 setup so you would have to get a lot of things custom built and thats very expensive.
if you want the car for drag, starting building it the right way, will cost more and take longer, if u want it just for a fun street car, just get the bare mininum and run a 16g with a modified evo manifold
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:31 AM
JRR
Evolved Member

i got parts for sale from my turbo lancer. with my tune and on STOCK internals, pump and fpr i was going at about 15psi. but for dd it was right around 10. check my sig for parts that i have for sale

that and also seeing that you have an 06 you wont be able to go with the evo turbo route if your manual due to the slave cylinder. just an fyi..
Old Sep 11, 2010, 06:14 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lancer XI1
It is a manual 5 speed so
now dont get me wrong it can still be turboed. i have an 03 that i put in an 04 trans (long story) but i have the rrm manifold and o2 housing. they use a dsm/eclipse style turbo which if you turn the turbo facing the drivers (like the evo) you can still use most evo stuff. the only thing that effects your setup is the turbo clearing the slave. and one of the few things rrm did do correctly in their design is that with their manifold and turning a dsm turbo like an evo (not a dsm towards the passenger side) it will work.

i got pics in my garage that you will see this and like i said FOR SALE at a fraction of what rrm would charge you.

not to mention as i get thinking... i have a manifold, stock 14b turbo, o2 housing, and dp cut and welded to fit the rrm o2 housing. so that alone will cover the turbo side, then its just intake, ic and, random other parts as well to get this thing off the floor...

josh
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:24 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

back at ya...

here is what i mean by not being able to clear the slave....

josh

Quick Reply: Decided to Go with a turbo'd Oz Rally