Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

RIPP MODS SDS supercharger system thread (MERGE)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2003, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up RIPP Gets Stage 2 under way....

Hey guys, sorry for not being here for a while now, but BlazinOZ has been driving his car around while testing and has not been back for upgrades… he has clocked about 3000 miles on the system and we found a bearing problem we upgraded and went over the rest of the system to check for ware. Other than the weak bearing everything was perfect…

I've seen the extent in which conversation has gone, and there are a lot of misconceptions (once again) with Turbo verse SC...

After nearly 2 years of SDS sales and 235 units later, the argument is getting old... It may be new here, but to us very, very, old...So we are not going to start it all over again!

In our Mitsubishi V6 kits customers are making 412whp and 356lb/ft of torque on stock internals, the SDS has been proving itself in almost all the forums… The Camry is up to 191whp and 197lb/ft at 10psi and Methanol/water injectors… not bad for having started with 93whp….Think about it a Camry that torches Type R’s, RSX’s, Mazda Speed 5 turbo (Zoom Zoom)… Lots of fun… but the new set up on the Lancer feels a lot stronger than the 5SFE in the Toyota….

Lancer Part 2:
Let me fill you in on were we have ended up... last I left we had very safe WHP at 188whp and 171lb/ft of torque, at only 6-7psi...This was all for testing purposes and all backed off... Its nice HP and anyone looking for safe reliable HP, This set up will problem free for a very long time.

Well this is now...and we are working on the next faze of power making for the US Lancer... We have not been to the DYNO as of yet... But we have been data logging it and programming our driving Maps... We are running 10psi now with our signature water methanol/injection intercooling system, bringing air temps down to 127degrees.

The added boost feels crazy and the car feel considerably stronger than before, we are easily over the 200whp mark with all the numbers looking real clean... We feel the stock injectors with the atomizer has reached it's limit and we are going to install a larger set of injectors to compensate for the added boost... this has not been decided yet, because we are not running lean, but for the sake of safety we would rather have the injector spraying right in the combustion chamber, rather than spraying into he intake and risking on pistons running richer/leaner that the next...

As for the drivability! Wow first gear is nearly useless and second will torch the tires with ease, but accelerating through the 3rd is like a roller coaster ride compared to before....

We will be on the DYNO very, very, shortly to finally lay the HP race to rest, again we are not trying to make more HP than the next option, just reliable usable power in kit form, with consistency.

More to come soon…
Old Nov 19, 2003, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

This is great! More products for the lancer Good job rippmods! You think the stock clutch can handle this much power or you'll have to eventually upgrade that too? You said you wanted to stay in the stock setup...
Old Nov 19, 2003, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

i was just wondering a/b an update on Blaze's car...
.....sounds good....
*and also were you guys able to get an A/T car to test the SC system?
Old Nov 19, 2003, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

i am assuming that much boost requires new pistons. is that so?
Old Nov 19, 2003, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

RippMods (Marc) I beleive. I met you Saturday at the Meet in the Industrial Parking lot. I was the one asking you all the questions regarding your SuperCharger setup for the Lancer. Just wanted to say great job on the work. Also your setup looks so sweet. I am glad we have more options now. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Guru_Del
i am assuming that much boost requires new pistons. is that so?
In all of our other set ups we have been able to make very respectable numbers with stock internals, we have no doubt that this car will be able to handle the 10psi with out a problem... Remember our kits come with a preprogrammed Black Box (Fuel and timing controller) so long as there is no detonation or lean spots in the program under boost condition there should be no worries.

Also keep in mind, there is no heat or back pressure building up on the pistons, so it’s running in a much “safer” environment…and since the SC is belt driven, it will never over boost or spike.. The boost comes on as a direct correlation of the engine RPM, so it always comes on at the right time every time…

As for the clutch, BlazinOZ’s was weak to begin with, in the very early stages of the SDS, so we will have to find out

Originally posted by Rawdog5581
RippMods (Marc) I beleive. I met you Saturday at the Meet in the Industrial Parking lot. I was the one asking you all the questions regarding your SuperCharger setup for the Lancer. Just wanted to say great job on the work. Also your setup looks so sweet. I am glad we have more options now. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
Ehhm! Ross… Yes, it was nice talking to you also, thanks for posting, I was getting bombarded with question, I wish that meet went better than it did, it’s a shame it didn’t have more organization, next year we will try to put together a meet of our own… We were trying to bring the Lancer OZ down, but it wasn’t ready in time. We were working on the Methanol/water injection system and it took longer than we expected. But we got it running yesterday and we’ve been tuning all morning…. Real smooth!
Old Nov 19, 2003, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry Ross. We were discussing your company in another thread a while ago and someone could've swarn your name was Marc. Anyway thanks for the info and let us know how the everything works out. You da man!
Old Nov 19, 2003, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Oh man...great to see u back in action on the forums...so much respect for bringin somethin new to the lancer world. I followed yer prototype thread and i cudn't wait to see how it turned out after some time...great to kno there were no problems 'sides the bearings...hope to see those dynos for yer stage II. Great job man.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

We started a new web forum to help centralize our questions, because it's real hard to chase them down al over the internet...Give it a try

RIPP Power PAGES
http://www.rippmods.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=5

Free Magazine offer
http://www.rippmods.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=92

Rippmods
Old Nov 19, 2003, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

RIPP=Ross' Import Performance Products, I think.

Great work, Ross, haven't seen you in a while, I used to have a black '94 S4 that you used to work on before I broke down and bought tools and scraped my own knuckles.

Keep up the good stuff.

Joe
Old Nov 19, 2003, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 4G63>OOOO
RIPP=Ross' Import Performance Products, I think.

Great work, Ross, haven't seen you in a while, I used to have a black '94 S4 that you used to work on before I broke down and bought tools and scraped my own knuckles.

Keep up the good stuff.

Joe
Hey Joe, how have you been... nice to hear from you...again...

So you have a Mitsu now? Cool! you should stop by and take a look at our stuff...

Ross
Old Nov 19, 2003, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Ross, I spoke with cody. My name is Frank.I'm pushing myself really hard with overtime and should be making my next big payment within 2 weeks. I hope my kit comes with the upgraded bearing. Anyway, thankyou for the grace period with paying off my kit.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 03:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do have a few comments on this... i had the pleasure of installing your setup on John Chases 3G eclipse... the install was not as smooth as i'd thought it would be. There were various materials i needed to resource in order to get the kit installed, VENOM injectors suck and the connectors were WRONG, also your intake piping configuration could use a bit of trimming. The pieces are a bit to long and don't let the boots do their job as on part touches the next inside the boot. The kit took excessively long to install and the instructions were not very conclusive. On the phone it seemed like i was being blown off or passed along.

In the end the looks were great and while i can't say i like the sound it is an ear catcher and jaw dropper. The car ran smooth during its brief brake in and the time i did put the pedal down the car jumped into action. With such a heavy car though it was still slow. But that is the bigginner kit and i've seen better out of RIPPS other 3G's.

RIPP if you ever get the chance check out a STILLIN kit they are fantastic and the install is precision at its best. If your instructions were half as detailed and kit so beautifully put together it would be a pleasure to install it on a lancer. For now i have a bad taste for the kits you produce in terms of install... and i'd hope you make the install better on the lancer! It'd be a shame for someone to get the kit and try to install it themselves if it was like the kit i've just done. What really got me was when you recommended a professional shop do it then when i explained who i was and who i worked for... well that was a funny moment.

In the end my joy only came with seeing John's eyes as he started his car. Although just a show car he should be proud cause his money just paid for a long awaited boost in power. To end this and just to let everyone know, John(the customer), was supposedly sponsored by RIPP yet as i stated above the treatment/kit was not up to par.

Lancer owners make your own decisions and don't let this detour you from buying from RIPP as my experiences may not be yours. Just be sure to ask ???'s like "Can i install this myself?" and "Why do i need a code scanner/eraser with this?" and "What kind of BOV do you use?" and "Why are they using cheap VENOM injectors, when advertising RC?" and "Will my clips for injectors fit?" and "Am i getting the most current instructions?" and .... well you get my point.

Nuff said!

Last edited by Boeturbolancer; Nov 20, 2003 at 10:34 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Come on Boe, No forced induction setup just hops into the car. Obiously you work at a shop so you should no this. I personally saw BlazenOZ's setup, and I looked at it as an easy install. Maybe because I have done everything from motor swaps in Hondas to building VW motors, but anyone who has tools and knowledge of working on cars should be able to do this. Anyway, I'll be sure to post about my install to let you know if it goes smoothly or like ****.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

I am good friends and fellow club memeber with John Chase, the customer that Boe installed the supercharger on, and i can vouche for what Boe's comments were on that kit. After seeing what my good friend has gone thru in order to get this kit on his car, all the money he had to spend to get this kit, and all the extra time and effort he had to go thru just to get it on his car, I would never wanna go thru that at all. This maybe a 1 time thing, but things like this dont stride well with me.

As a supposive sponsored car I heard and saw the lack of copperation John recieved in this ordeal and the amount of money he spent, easily over $4000 just to get this kit, for a "sponsored" car.

I hope people take this into mind when thinking about doing this system in there cars. Just my .02 cents

Quick Reply: RIPP MODS SDS supercharger system thread (MERGE)