Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Check this out guys...not good.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2010, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cobb_sti
its sounds like there was a problem in the rebuild. I think you forgot something or assembled wrong and now it is touching the heatshield causing it to be difficult to spool and create a noise when it does.

Yeah its weird, like when you start the car the turbo spins for like 6 sec then stops, maybe its because i never got it balanced?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

well, it sort of sounds like a balance problem. Does the shaft spin freely when it's on the car for a portion of the rotation? like maybe the compressor wheel spins oblong and hits on one side of the housing?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HornstarBU
well, it sort of sounds like a balance problem. Does the shaft spin freely when it's on the car for a portion of the rotation? like maybe the compressor wheel spins oblong and hits on one side of the housing?
Well what i did was, take apart the turbo and look for damage or anything suspicious, couldnt find anything wrong so i put it back together and torqed it to the 75 inch lbs, and i spun the turbine wheel, and the compressor wheel and they both spun very freely, so i mounted the turbo to the hotside and spun the compressor wheel again and it still spun the same, really free. So i start up the car and watch the compressor wheel...it spins and then stops, and i tried to spin it and it wouldnt spin, it was tough to move...ether its off balance and crooking the shaft and binding it, or high oil pressure maybe? Not to sure! But i know i cant use this turbo anymore!
Old Oct 25, 2010, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mitsu.kid.02
Well what i did was, take apart the turbo and look for damage or anything suspicious, couldnt find anything wrong so i put it back together and torqed it to the 75 inch lbs, and i spun the turbine wheel, and the compressor wheel and they both spun very freely, so i mounted the turbo to the hotside and spun the compressor wheel again and it still spun the same, really free. So i start up the car and watch the compressor wheel...it spins and then stops, and i tried to spin it and it wouldnt spin, it was tough to move...ether its off balance and crooking the shaft and binding it, or high oil pressure maybe? Not to sure! But i know i cant use this turbo anymore!
With the engine off, does it spin freely again? Is that what you were saying "then stops and i tried to spin it...", that you cut the engine off and it still wouldn't spin? That's weird dude, somethings got to be "binding" up to keep it from working and spining like it should. Imbalance is a sure possibility, but I don't know enough about that. maybe time to take it to a pro? Is there a tuner shop near you who can balance it ( i think you already said there wasn't). I guess the car has been out of commission this long, might as well either send it off for balancing or buy a diff turbo.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

With the engine off, does it spin freely again? Is that what you were saying "then stops and i tried to spin it...", that you cut the engine off and it still wouldn't spin? That's weird dude, somethings got to be "binding" up to keep it from working and spining like it should. Imbalance is a sure possibility, but I don't know enough about that. maybe time to take it to a pro? Is there a tuner shop near you who can balance it ( i think you already said there wasn't). I guess the car has been out of commission this long, might as well either send it off for balancing or buy a diff turbo.
Well the car, i have been still driving it, just not boosting, it just burns oil every now and then, i have the wastegate open, and disconnected the j-pipe so it wont make boost, and i installed my stock intake for now. this is my DD car so im taking a risk turboin it but its worth it haha. But what i ment was, with the car off, you can spin the wheel freely with no probs, then when you turn on the car the compressor wheel spins for about 2-3 sec then stops and its tough to spin. When you turn the car off again, you can spin it again freely, so its only when the car is on is it hard to spin. Its ether the exhaust pressure pushing the shaft, or oil pressure pushing the shaft i think, as when the car is off you can spin it freely because there is no oil pressure and no exhaust flow, so it could be one of the two, or both!
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mitsu.kid.02
Well the car, i have been still driving it, just not boosting, it just burns oil every now and then, i have the wastegate open, and disconnected the j-pipe so it wont make boost, and i installed my stock intake for now. this is my DD car so im taking a risk turboin it but its worth it haha. But what i ment was, with the car off, you can spin the wheel freely with no probs, then when you turn on the car the compressor wheel spins for about 2-3 sec then stops and its tough to spin. When you turn the car off again, you can spin it again freely, so its only when the car is on is it hard to spin. Its ether the exhaust pressure pushing the shaft, or oil pressure pushing the shaft i think, as when the car is off you can spin it freely because there is no oil pressure and no exhaust flow, so it could be one of the two, or both!
Wow...that's pretty wicked then. So it sounds like it's relatively balanced. I am reading various websites describing the same problem you are having, with many people saying "it's ok if it doesn't spin at idle"....so I really don't know what to say on that. You have boost leak checked, correct? And you hear some sort of metallic grinding sound when you drive around and it's in boost?

How many miles have you put on the new turbo so far?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Wow...that's pretty wicked then. So it sounds like it's relatively balanced. I am reading various websites describing the same problem you are having, with many people saying "it's ok if it doesn't spin at idle"....so I really don't know what to say on that. You have boost leak checked, correct? And you hear some sort of metallic grinding sound when you drive around and it's in boost?

How many miles have you put on the new turbo so far?
I dont have my "new" turbo yet, it should be here by friday. Since i rebuild it its prob been about 1,000 or less. Before i did a rebuild the turbo was spinning at idle, i did a rebuild because it was smoking, burning oil. And then i did the rebuild and its still smoking, but now it wont spin at idle..I tested for a boost leak and there are none, although i boost leak should not have an effect on wheather the turbo spins at an idle, it simply spins from the exhause gasses pushing the turbine fins. I hear a metalic sound when leffing off of the gas, it doesnt have to be in boost but its deff the "heat shield" as i call it, its a sheet metal cover basically inside the hotside of the turbo near the turbine fins, it deff rattles. it still boost's to 5 PSI no prob, spools at 2,800k or so, but its still smoking oil every now and then