Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Wicked compressor surge

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2010, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wicked compressor surge

all the sudden im getting really bad surge Like bad, The bov works and preforms fine however the turbo now has a clunking sound like the fins are hitting the metal housing when i very first acell. No smoke (crosses fingers) but i have no idea why this could be happening. It started after yesterday, im not sure if this had anything to do with it but i left the car running for maybe an hour and 40 min by accedent i left my car running to cool the turbo, but TOTALLY forgot about it until an hour and 40 min later. ever since then i have had this compressor surge. I replaced all the VAC lines with hard heat resistant lines. it spools fine, but it just surges soo bad. Any ideas?

Also, just pulled off the intake to the turbo, no oil and no significant shaft play other than normal, spins freely withought binding at all. what can i check tonite when i get home? Is there a vac line clogged and the BOV isnt staying open long enough?

Also someone told me NOT to have my forge MBC tee'd into where my vac supply for the BOV is and it can cause problems, is this true? How is this, if its possible? I have my boost gauge, MBC, and BOV all tee'd into the FPR vac line.

EDIT:: i tried to have my BOV hold vac, and it doesnt hold vac, will this lead to compressor suge? i watched the actual valve while giving it some gas and it opens but it doesnt seem to stay open long enough, and when it closes i can hear the turbo surge through the air filter.

And im thinking its actual compressor surge and not just BOV flutter because i can hear the sound through my air filter coming off of the turbo

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Dec 15, 2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mitsu.kid.02
all the sudden im getting really bad surge Like bad, The bov works and preforms fine however the turbo now has a clunking sound like the fins are hitting the metal housing when i very first acell. No smoke (crosses fingers) but i have no idea why this could be happening. It started after yesterday, im not sure if this had anything to do with it but i left the car running for maybe an hour and 40 min by accedent i left my car running to cool the turbo, but TOTALLY forgot about it until an hour and 40 min later. ever since then i have had this compressor surge. I replaced all the VAC lines with hard heat resistant lines. it spools fine, but it just surges soo bad. Any ideas?

Also, just pulled off the intake to the turbo, no oil and no significant shaft play other than normal, spins freely withought binding at all. what can i check tonite when i get home? Is there a vac line clogged and the BOV isnt staying open long enough?

Also someone told me NOT to have my forge MBC tee'd into where my vac supply for the BOV is and it can cause problems, is this true? How is this, if its possible? I have my boost gauge, MBC, and BOV all tee'd into the FPR vac line.

EDIT:: i tried to have my BOV hold vac, and it doesnt hold vac, will this lead to compressor suge? i watched the actual valve while giving it some gas and it opens but it doesnt seem to stay open long enough, and when it closes i can hear the turbo surge through the air filter.

And im thinking its actual compressor surge and not just BOV flutter because i can hear the sound through my air filter coming off of the turbo
I don't think you should T into the same line as teh BOV for the MBC. Boost controllers are supposed to sit between the wastegate and the wastegate "boost" source. Wastegates shouldn't see VAC, so they should be pre-throttlebody. Most ppl I see go from the nipple on the J pipe to their Boost Controller to their turbo wastegate.

My turbo makes a "somewhat" metallic sound on initial spool, but I've heard some videos on-line, and asked a local guy...both confirmed that mine doesn't sound bad. What's this "clunking" you speak of? Also, if you mean you have a vac pump, and you attached it to your bov...but the bov won't hold vac, then yes, that's bad. It may not lead to comp surge, but it is a vac leak.

The way a MBC works is that it has it's own "cut off" point, where it will open. You set that point with the dial, but typically minimum is 1psi, and then max is...well, lets not go there on a stock lancer, right? Anyhow, if that MBC is limiting boost pressure, then it would limit flow to your bov.....but it also would not restrict your wastegate actuator AT ALL. Explain exactly how it's hooked up now, the wastegate that is, and if it's not got the MBC inline...then don't hook it up, because boost would go up. Try just removing the MBC and see if you have surge...
Old Dec 16, 2010, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HornstarBU
I don't think you should T into the same line as teh BOV for the MBC. Boost controllers are supposed to sit between the wastegate and the wastegate "boost" source. Wastegates shouldn't see VAC, so they should be pre-throttlebody. Most ppl I see go from the nipple on the J pipe to their Boost Controller to their turbo wastegate.

My turbo makes a "somewhat" metallic sound on initial spool, but I've heard some videos on-line, and asked a local guy...both confirmed that mine doesn't sound bad. What's this "clunking" you speak of? Also, if you mean you have a vac pump, and you attached it to your bov...but the bov won't hold vac, then yes, that's bad. It may not lead to comp surge, but it is a vac leak.

The way a MBC works is that it has it's own "cut off" point, where it will open. You set that point with the dial, but typically minimum is 1psi, and then max is...well, lets not go there on a stock lancer, right? Anyhow, if that MBC is limiting boost pressure, then it would limit flow to your bov.....but it also would not restrict your wastegate actuator AT ALL. Explain exactly how it's hooked up now, the wastegate that is, and if it's not got the MBC inline...then don't hook it up, because boost would go up. Try just removing the MBC and see if you have surge...

Uhh oo... so could i ruin my MBC or my turbo or BOV by doing what i did? i have the UNOS MBC, i have a line from the j-pipe nipple capped off, and made a line from the Forge WGA nipple connecting to one of the MBC nipples then i attached another line from the other MBC nipple and tee'd it into my FPR vac line where my BOV and BOOST gauge are tee'd into, uhh oh'z.

Ref. 1 - This port on the UNOS
manual boost controller is the inlet
of the unit and needs to have a
pressure source taken directly from
the outlet of the turbo or from the
intake manifold.
We highly
recommend and prefer that the
source be taken from the outlet of the
turbo or from the intercooler piping
as close to the turbo outlet as
possible, but the intake manifold can
be used if no turbo outlet source is
available on your application.
line connected to the pressure
reference on the wastegate actuator
of your turbo or external wastegate,
depending upon whichever is used
on your application.

Maybe i misunderstood the directions when it said intake mani? And yeah i think the metalic sound is normal, im not having any problems boosting or anything like that, its not a "hard abusive sound" its just the way i get when somethings wrong, i notice EVERY SINGLE sound pitch and movement sometimes gets me into trouble because the "normal" becomes "abnormal"

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Dec 16, 2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

So i hooked up the MBC properly and still getting surge. It blows off fine at first, but seems like it closes to quick, after the BOV closes, you can hear the turbo surge a little through the air filter. I never had this problem before, up until like 2 days ago the BOV was working awesome. Do you think that because it cant hold a vac its closing to quick?
Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

I figured out its the BOV thats leading to surge. Im going to get a new one!