Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

turbo lancer dyno results

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2002, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does the wastegate do, and what is the difference between internal an external?
Old Jul 22, 2002, 11:38 PM
Evolving Member

That might be true Mitsiman, but an external wastegate w/dump tube sounds SWEET!
Old Jul 23, 2002, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wastegate Controller

The difference is an internal wastegate bypasses the turbo gases from the turbine within and then bypass into the dump pipe off the back of the turbo. Very quiet and obviously cuts expenses as no need for extra piping, additional equipment.

An external unit dumps exhaust gases straight from the manifold into the exhaust so that there is nothing to drive the turbo hence cutting boost. Makes a nice loud noise but is more expensive as the external wastegate is quite an expensive unit as well as need extra piping.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au
Old Jul 23, 2002, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Well, let's get straight to where the ursine mammal does his business in the tall grass... Dave, cost and difficulty of installation?
Old Jul 24, 2002, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Turbo Kit

As with all our turbo kits they come complete with the turbo manifold, dump pipe to cat converter, oil and water lines, injectors, thermo fans and heat proof tape wrap (For eletrical lines and air conditioning hoses), blow off valve, factory preset to either 5 or 7 psi boost

The kit can be fitted up in around 4 hours max. From there you simply need to get the pipe work from turbo to air cleaner position of your choice and turbo to throttle body which can be done in several hours work. The computer system can be your choice of either

(A) Greddy EManage (Our recomended choice)
(B) Unichip
(C) Apexi SAFC and ITG controller

You really want fuel and ignition control.

When you are ready to ready to run an intercooler nothing needs to be changed except for some new piping from the turbo to the intercooler and then intercooler to throttle body. Raising the boost can be done easily by fitting an aftermarket pnuemetic boost controller to a vacuem line. We also recomend running above 7 psi fitment of our rising fuel pressure regulators as well. For a complete listing of what is in the kit email me and I am happy to send details.

We fit the whole kit up, dyno tune and make piping ourselves in our own workshop in 3 days. Very easy little job for both manuel and auto models.

I can't give pricing though - for that you need to contact a RPW Dealer for pricing. Details of them can be found on our website.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au
Old Jul 24, 2002, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

K, fair enough. Quick question, though... do you have a supercharger available?
Old Jul 24, 2002, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Supercharger

YEs we do for the 1.8 4G93 motors which can be adapted to the 4G94 engines but I do not recomend it as it is the same setup in terms of boost as fitting a turbo wihtout an intercooler. The supercharger bolts on top of the intake manifold and has a high intake tempature.

We have found using our ball bearing turbo's that they produce more power than a supercharger for teh same boost as they don't heat the air up as much as well as easier to fit and come on boost around 2000 rpm with our smaller turbo with a very smooth power delivery no masive turbo lag at all. In fact no turbo lag.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au
Old Jul 24, 2002, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Can you give me a ballpark on the price difference? I know it is possible to mount an intercooler in conjunction with the supercharger, so, would that be a less expensive alternative?
Old Jul 25, 2002, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Supercharger Kits

These supercharger kits have no way to fit an intercooler because the unit is mounted directly on top of the intake manifold.

As a general rule the supercharger kit is going to be approx $500 - $1000.00 US$ more expensive than our turbocharger kits.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au
Old Jul 25, 2002, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

I was under the impression that most superchargers were cheaper in parts, if not installation. You're the expert on this, though.

I see my mistake on the intercooler issue, though. I was thinking of a centrifigul [sp?] set up that can accomodate an intercooler system.
Old Jul 25, 2002, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

What about a smaller and lightened pulley set as well as a liquid intercooler like a system used by Jackson Racing?
Old Jul 25, 2002, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Pjal, what kind of price would we be talking about, though? I mean, if it's gonna end up being that much more for the SC set up, why do it? I mean, I'm being devil's advocate on this, because I'm pro SC, but, let's just put this out so some people who are on the fence can go either way. Really, it's roughly the same amount of boost either way, so... let's talk bills, maintenence, and engine wear. Proceed.
Old Jul 25, 2002, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Just to keep the kids on track: think of a supercharger as a turbo on the intake side. Look at a Vortech centrifugal turbo and you'll definitely catch my drift. As for looks though, gotta love an Eaton.

Most problems with turbos come from overboost and running either to rich or lean. Most supercharger issues come from overboost (some people really don't get it: to much boost = bad), and from poorly maintained drive belts. Both require careful fuel and air tuning to run at their peaks. By nature, supers are less efficient since they lose power through their respective pulleys and belts but it's the fact they offer linear power and better driveability at high boost and easy boost upgrades: usually in the form of a pulley system since the less rotational mass the super has to deal with, the better. I've also seen/read that supers take to more tame mods on the block and head (camshafts and cam gears) more effectively and easily than turbos. I've never seen a tit for tat comparison between costs of a supercharger and a turbo but I've also never seen a super cheaper than a turbo.

Side note: If Jackson Racing makes an application for the Civic "D" series engine, I see absolutely no reason why not to make one for the Lancer: both are low power SOHC engines.

Last edited by pjal84; Jul 25, 2002 at 07:31 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2002, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

K, I was under a wrong impression on cost. My apologies.

So, in other words, it could handle more boost SAFELY (not too much, of course), and would be more easily upgradable than a turbo, right?

Oh, and as for Jackson Racing, it's probably not due to the engine itself, more than likely it's that the Civic is so much more widespread as a platform, even the D series. Let's face it... the Lancer's sale rate could be better. Give it time. They have one for the Mirage, right? Eventually this will replace the Mirage. At least, I think that's Mitsu's idea... why not pay an extra G for more power, more amenities, and a (IMO) better look. Just a theory.
Old Jul 25, 2002, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

It's not safe to say that the engine is going to hold more boost just due to the nature of a super due to the fact that boost is boost. You're still going that X amount of pressure over normal atmospheric pressure, hence putting that same pressure onto the engine. As far as upgrades, both can be simply set dial in the boost (with correct fuel mods), but unfortunately, at a later date, it's harder to get a larger super than to simply swap in a larger turbo.

As for a JR super, they've never touched a Mitsu platform.