Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Question about ES CVT.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about ES CVT.

I hope this is the right place for this, if not I apologize.

I just picked up a new 2011 Lancer ES with the automatic CVT. I had read somewhere that this transmission has problems with excess of 200 horsepower, so adding a turbo and certain upgrades could potentially completely ruin the CVT.

So my question is this, is it true that excesses of 200 horsepower can ruin the CVT in the Lancer ES?
Old Jun 12, 2011, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
does the es model bring the paddle shifters?
Old Jun 12, 2011, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, the CVT is not strong enough to handle aftermarket power. I think RRM sells their CVT cooler separately from their turbo kit. With that you should be able to handle more power, but it's still risky and will probably greatly reduce the lifespan of your CVT.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by jrsimon27
does the es model bring the paddle shifters?
I don't know for sure, but mine doesn't. It would seem that I could upgrade pretty much anything other than the turbo, just to save the life of the CVT. Which still isn't too bad, I guess.

What I'm really looking to do is put a couple of upgrades into it to increase the overall performance of the vehicle. Short of a turbo I still have plenty of options.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:40 AM

Cvt reinforced performance racing belt

honestly the cvt tranny can handle turbo in fact evo_soul said its very possible for the cvt tranny to sustain 260 - 300 hp from turbo its just how you take care of your tranny like dont abuse it for hours and hours make sure you use the best fluids for your cvt tranny like redline or eneos fluid and add a tranny cooler I am trying to see if its possible to add 2 or 4 tranny coolers for extra cooling power. And btw its not the tranny its the belt that is the weak link in this project it cant handle heat build up and its a type of belt that wasn't designed for racing. So asian transmission is designing a reinforced cvt belt to get rid of this problem so my opinion is to just add the bolt ons add a sprint booster, 17 inch rims lower it make it look like a tuner upgrade the 4b11 with forge stroker kit and better cams add carbon fiber hood and add the turbo on the car to 260 - 300 hp dont abuse the tranny so much and make sure you use the best cvt tranny fluid that I stated above and make sure you change it frequently. or you can just wait till asian trannsmission designs the CVT reinforced performance racing belt and enjoy your car at 200 hp from the bolt ons from rrm. either way im gonna do either options. And if you want to get this reinforced cvt belt on the shelfs to buy. contact asian transmission at this email apcalida@asian-transmission.com.ph and ask them about the cvt reinforced belt, I already did so they know their is a market need for it.

Last edited by Ghilversumtuner; Jun 19, 2011 at 11:46 AM.