Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

cant decide what turbo????

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2003, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cant decide what turbo????

I cant make up my mind on what turbo to get.
Its between the road race turbo, turbo-kit.com extreme kit, importperformanceparts.com extreme kit, or the RPW stage 2. Any suggestions???? Either way i go it will be intercooled and running between 10-15 psi. I dont know im confused.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

RRM is tried and true, and they just developed a stage 2 kit if thats what you want.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 09:50 AM

that kit seems pricy though owell i guess you get what you pay for
Old Dec 26, 2003, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

you will not be disapointed with the www.roadracemotorsports.com turbo kit it is by far the best and produces the most power
Old Dec 26, 2003, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

indeed, but if u dont get that kit your going to be running around like a chicken with its head cut off like i was looking for a ton of MISC. parts, on the otherhand.. i saw that turbo-kit.com kit also, who are they??? It says 01+ lancer but i dont even think that kit will fit but i guess you have to call and if your going to run 10-15 psi u need pistons and rods
Old Dec 29, 2003, 09:58 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Figure out exactly what you want from your turbocharged Lancer. If you want specific goals (the only one we see you've set is going to cost you at least 6-8g's to do right) then lay out what parts you'll need to get there and expect everything to cost a lot more than it should, because you will most likely either want to make changes to better suit your needs or fix something lost/broken etc.

My personal feeling was that (with no disrespect mean to either RRM or RPW) neither kit available suited my needs. The turbo-kit.com kit was not specifically made for the Lancer when last we checked. It was a Mirage kit which would require modification of the downpipe if not other things as well. At any rate, I wasn't pleased with the characteristics of the T series turbos so I went larger and custom.

My own kit was a bit ambitious in hindsight, and I ended up being a gineau pig for a bunch of things. But the 3 or 4 other people who have gone with T3's or larger have had better results.

Unless you really can't afford a bit of downtime (in which case I wouldn't advise turbocharging you car in the first place) I wouldn't rule out a custom setup either.
Old Dec 29, 2003, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

lol well put... turbo = world of trouble but a hell of alot of fun (when it works)
Old Dec 29, 2003, 10:08 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yeah, definitely. When my car was running "right" (or as close to right as it ever did) it was quick as hell, but I think it's quite possible my car has given me more grief than anyone else's Lancer. I'm sure a few people might argue with me on that one, but I stand firm. I think the problems are all related to fuel delivery though, and I hope to have them worked out when I get my car running again sometime this spring.