Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

I love turbo but I also love a supercharger

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2011, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love turbo but I also love a supercharger

Hello do you think its possible to put a supercharger on a 2.0l 4 cylinder and how much gain could I get from a supercharger. And is rrm.com going to make a supercharger for our 08 lancer de,es,gts anytime soon. And please no negative feedback I truly hate negative feedback thank you
Old Jun 26, 2011, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Is it possible? I don't see why not, with enough money you can do what you like.

Gains? I'm not sure about a 2.0 but toyotas 1.6 4AGE engine gained approximately 25hp running max 6psi from a supercharger. Those are factory setups too so a custom setup will likely see much better gains.

Will they make one? idk
Old Jun 26, 2011, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by AndyCT9A
Is it possible? I don't see why not, with enough money you can do what you like.

Gains? I'm not sure about a 2.0 but toyotas 1.6 4AGE engine gained approximately 25hp running max 6psi from a supercharger. Those are factory setups too so a custom setup will likely see much better gains.

Will they make one? idk
Oh ok cool thanks for the info. And is it possible to gain 160hp or more from a S/C if you did a custom setup.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Supercharged mitsu ....Ehhh
Seen them , driven them not impressed .
Old Jun 27, 2011, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

Again anything is possible with enough money e.g. the NZer who put an LS2 into a 2006 MX5. The returns in power you get for what you spend would have me thinking twice though, it will be costly.

I don't have much confidence in the transmission for higher power, I've never seen a CVT used in a high power application, not even on factory cars.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Again anything is possible with enough money e.g. the NZer who put an LS2 into a 2006 MX5. The returns in power you get for what you spend would have me thinking twice though, it will be costly.

I don't have much confidence in the transmission for higher power, I've never seen a CVT used in a high power application, not even on factory cars.
there are a few factory cars like the 2012 nissan altima coup and the 2011 maxima. both have cvt's both have a 3.5 v6, altima is 270 at the crank maxima has 290. even one of audi's models such as the a4 has a cvt. the a4 has a 2.0 turbo with 210 at the crank. it just depends on of the tranny is made. oddly enough the company that makes our cvt also makes them for nissan.
http://www.jatco.co.jp/ENGLISH/PRODUCTS/CVT/index.html
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:18 AM

more specific?

Originally Posted by 02-Lancer-Es
Supercharged mitsu ....Ehhh
Seen them , driven them not impressed .
Can you be more specific like what year lancer and other specific details....
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:25 AM

The cvt tranny can withstand higher power just like evo soul and rock said the basics here is that the cvt belt on the tranny is to weak to sustain higher power so their in the works right now building a reinforced racing belt for our cvt transmission.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by SYSTEMA
there are a few factory cars like the 2012 nissan altima coup and the 2011 maxima. both have cvt's both have a 3.5 v6, altima is 270 at the crank maxima has 290. even one of audi's models such as the a4 has a cvt. the a4 has a 2.0 turbo with 210 at the crank. it just depends on of the tranny is made. oddly enough the company that makes our cvt also makes them for nissan.
http://www.jatco.co.jp/ENGLISH/PRODUCTS/CVT/index.html
while this is true they to make it for nissan and what not, they arent the same ones that are put in our car. the CVT in those are stronger than the ones in ours. if you've ever driven a nissan CVT you'll notice it drives a lot different than the ones on our lancer do. the CVT in ours are shared with cars like the dodge caliber, the more lower end HP cars.

a supercharger would be better on our motor and transmission than a turbo would be. but it wouldnt be likely we'd see one anytime soon.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Wait, you expect RRM to make something worth spending money on? I won't even put any parts from them on my car even if it was free..... Just turbo it with your own set up.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by iJHolmes
while this is true they to make it for nissan and what not, they arent the same ones that are put in our car. the CVT in those are stronger than the ones in ours. if you've ever driven a nissan CVT you'll notice it drives a lot different than the ones on our lancer do. the CVT in ours are shared with cars like the dodge caliber, the more lower end HP cars.

a supercharger would be better on our motor and transmission than a turbo would be. but it wouldnt be likely we'd see one anytime soon.
yeah, the cvt for the 3.8 is a lot more beefy and has more cooling surfaces. i forgot to mention in my last post that they were not the same. but i am curious if they share common mounting points and weather or not they can be adapted to the 2.0 lancer. probably not because that cvt is huge, there might not be enough room.

boost from a SC would come more gradual curve than a turbo putting less stress on the tranny but gas mileage would be tanked with a SC.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:48 AM

yeah, the cvt for the 3.8 is a lot more beefy and has more cooling surfaces. i forgot to mention in my last post that they were not the same. but i am curious if they share common mounting points and weather or not they can be adapted to the 2.0 lancer. probably not because that cvt is huge, there might not be enough room.

boost from a SC would come more gradual curve than a turbo putting less stress on the tranny but gas mileage would be tanked with a SC.
yep. i dont know much about CVTs and what not that would probably be a better question for EVO_SOUL but i would think there is some sort of way to beef up the tranny or share parts with the CVTs that are put in the Nissans. so in a way "build" it up to be one of those stronger trannys.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 03:52 PM

A way to fit the 3.8 cvt tranny

Hmmm maybe if I get a modification plan with a performance shop to make it fit in my transmission mount bay maybe that could work?
Old Jun 30, 2011, 03:55 PM

Sounds like a plan dude

Originally Posted by iJHolmes
yep. i dont know much about CVTs and what not that would probably be a better question for EVO_SOUL but i would think there is some sort of way to beef up the tranny or share parts with the CVTs that are put in the Nissans. so in a way "build" it up to be one of those stronger trannys.
Dam that sounds like a good idea holmes.