Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

new user, probably the same question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2011, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new user, probably the same question

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself and pose some newb questions.
I'm Bryce and I'm just starting to get into performance upgrading to my car.
I drive an '06 Lancer ES 2.0 manual (completely stock, but like I said, trying to get into upgrading).

I've been looking around online for a while to see what basic upgrades I can do to improve my ES and here is what I wanna do so far.

SAI - I was looking into this: http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=69-6540TB - I know K&N is great stuff, but I wanted to gauge your opinions...is this a decent SAI to get? I was reading some stuff on the forums and it looks like the general consensus is the SAI doesn't matter, its the MAF adapter that should be the deciding factor. Do you know if the SAI kits usually come with a good MAF adapter? If not, what should be one that I should look for?

Exhaust - I was looking into these myself, but I can't tell the difference between the brands. I see that some boast ridiculous HP gains (which sounds like complete garbage to me) so i'm not going on that, but anything that can give me a better exhaust flow from the engine.

Rear Sway Bar - want to do this just so I can have fun cornering and stuff.

Misc - are there any easy to do ECU flashes for the 2006 ES that I don't have to spend a ton of money on?

That's about it for now. Any comments, advice etc is most appreciated.

Sorry if this was posted to the wrong forum or if its just more noob questions.

Thanks guys!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
basic bolt ons... intake headers exhaust, u will basically see no gains out of at all.. just the car will be louder. and probably slower.
ecu 'flash'.. well there's real Tuning. no flashes, are ECU is easy to crack so people dont sell Flashes and hold back on our tuning software. it can be free if u do it yourself. involves downloading a program ecuflash/evoscan to log ur cars computer, and modifiing it approiately.. u will need a tantrix cable to hook your car to the laptop to log

thats baout it... if u want more power.. look into forced induction (turbo/supercharger/nitrous) but bewarned, our motors are weak, are cars dont like nitrous that much at all. turbos n superchargers can handle around 10psi before breaking the average stock lancers engine.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Also invest in a wideband if heading down with ecuflash. EvoScan is what most here use to log.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Demon_ni2
basic bolt ons... intake headers exhaust, u will basically see no gains out of at all.. just the car will be louder. and probably slower.
anything with more airflow will have to be better than the crap that came stock, no? I'm not arguing with you (like I said I'm new)

thats baout it... if u want more power.. look into forced induction (turbo/supercharger/nitrous)
yea i've thought about that too, but i bought the car used (and i'm at close to 87k miles) so i'm not sure if ripping apart the engine to turbo the car is worth it...plus then i'd have to have someone reinforce the cylinder walls to hold up to the higher pressure.

Originally Posted by ryancb
Also invest in a wideband if heading down with ecuflash. EvoScan is what most here use to log.
thanks for the heads up on this one!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dragounswift
anything with more airflow will have to be better than the crap that came stock, no? I'm not arguing with you (like I said I'm new)
thanks for the heads up on this one!
ur talking about making a Small % difference.. say 1-2% on a motor that makes Appx. 85-95hp to the wheels(about normal for a stock lancer on dyno).. thats less then Maybe 1-3 hp. u will not see enough difference off basic bolt ons to feel.

If u go all out... Intake, headers, exhaust, cam, ported/polish/rebuilt head (good idea for anything around 100k miles anyways).. port n polished intake manifold.. about all i can think of right now for 'basic' stuff.. u could see some gains.. or atleast the car would run stronger like a lancer with 0miles with a real tune. but without forced induction or a big change in compression or something else major u wont see a big difference.

and stock lancers with just an Exhaust.. is like saying.. Hey look, im the loser that couldnt find a honda to do this to!.. do nothing(engine wise) or go all out..
Id stick to suspension mods if i were u, make the car handle better, enjoy the corners n stuff like that if ur not sure how much u wanna put into it.. and u wont stand out of the crowd as much.

Last edited by Demon_ni2; Aug 22, 2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dragounswift
yea i've thought about that too, but i bought the car used (and i'm at close to 87k miles) so i'm not sure if ripping apart the engine to turbo the car is worth it...plus then i'd have to have someone reinforce the cylinder walls to hold up to the higher pressure.
there are several people including myself that has turbo'd our cars past 100k and still running strong. the only thing you really need to beef up are the pistons/rods, but that also depends on how much boost you gonna run. if youre gonna go all out like demon's, then yea a full complete engine build would be the wise choice.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

i dont suggest going all out unless u have another means of transportation, my car is down more then it is running.. LOL.. so many hiccups ..

im so glad my truck is my Daily driver.. lol
Old Aug 22, 2011, 07:45 PM

and stock lancers with just an Exhaust.. is like saying.. Hey look, im the loser that couldnt find a honda to do this to!.. do nothing(engine wise) or go all out..
Id stick to suspension mods if i were u, make the car handle better, enjoy the corners n stuff like that if ur not sure how much u wanna put into it.. and u wont stand out of the crowd as much.
yea i understand, last thing i want is for it to sound and run like ****.

Originally Posted by sawulkn
there are several people including myself that has turbo'd our cars past 100k and still running strong. the only thing you really need to beef up are the pistons/rods, but that also depends on how much boost you gonna run.
yea but its my everyday driving car too, these are all good suggestions, but it just isn't a 'major' project car plus with the couple grand extra in getting the turbo kit then installing it, i could've just bought a more powerful car with a little more mileage lol (i got it for 5k...)

all that being said - going on Demon's suggestion, at the very least i'm putting in a rear sway bar.

I was looking at this one: http://roadracemotorsports.com/store...roducts_id=164
I've heard progress bars are good, can anyone attest to this? also i know the ES came with no sway bar, so I chose this site because it comes with ES hardware, but does anyone know if I should pick up endlinks/mounts? I'm going to try calling RRM tomorrow too..

again, thanks for putting up with my dumb questions hah, you guys have been helpful!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Ive got that same rear sway bar. helped a little.. i also went with front and rear strut bars and basic tein s techs.. while ur at it.. yank the front sway bar endlinks connections and go up to autozone and find one that is similar and replace the bushing/connection piece.(10$?) i think the ones i got were a smidge smaller and i tighted the sway bar down more..

those 4 suspension pieces made a nice difference. and lowered the car a little..

ill be swaping my 'springs' for full custom coilovers before i take my car on the street again.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:09 PM

Ive got that same rear sway bar. helped a little.. i also went with front and rear strut bars and basic tein s techs.. while ur at it.. yank the front sway bar endlinks connections and go up to autozone and find one that is similar and replace the bushing/connection piece.(10$?) i think the ones i got were a smidge smaller and i tighted the sway bar down more..

those 4 suspension pieces made a nice difference. and lowered the car a little..

ill be swaping my 'springs' for full custom coilovers before i take my car on the street again.
sick dude, yea i was looking at coilovers too, but couldn't bring myself to spending $800 on them...not yet at least lol

i'm definitely going to have it lowered too - thanks for the suggestions
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

I have to say other then the turbo the $1200~ on my tein ss where the best investment i made. Granted I already have an upgraded sway bar, replaced bushings, front strut bar. My car is also my DD so I can understand but if you treat the lancer right itl last forever. I had 126k on mine and my only problems with the car where my clutch, and a bearing for front suspension.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 06's have a rear sway bar. At least mine does. I'm sure the RRM one is better than the stock tho.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

All of them have rear sway bars... aftermarket ones are larger in diameter to transmit less articulation between.. stiffing it up. the progress one is basically, double the size of the stock one.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by jakermeister
The 06's have a rear sway bar. At least mine does. I'm sure the RRM one is better than the stock tho.
All of them have rear sway bars... aftermarket ones are larger in diameter to transmit less articulation between.. stiffing it up. the progress one is basically, double the size of the stock one.
oh ok, i haven't gotten under it to take a look yet, i just thought I read that somewhere. i'll take your words for it hahaha either way then the stock one is a POS

Originally Posted by ryancb
I have to say other then the turbo the $1200~ on my tein ss where the best investment i made. Granted I already have an upgraded sway bar, replaced bushings, front strut bar. My car is also my DD so I can understand but if you treat the lancer right itl last forever. I had 126k on mine and my only problems with the car where my clutch, and a bearing for front suspension.
yea i'll have to look into that too, the only thing i've done with it so far is replace the clutch (i bought the thing at 75,000 miles and the clutch was burned out, i can only assume the person who drove it before me was driving on the highway resting their foot on the clutch pedal)

once i start doing all this, i'll come back and make a review on the new parts.

my friend wants to take a road course at the track near us, so if anything the suspension upgrades will make that more fun!

Last edited by dragounswift; Aug 23, 2011 at 05:02 AM.