Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

water cooling lines how are you running them?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2011, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
water cooling lines how are you running them?

So I've decided on a new turbo, this one is water and oil cooled. I actually got a new radiator a month ago and this one has two nipples on the bottom for possibly a tranny cooler? Well can I just run the coolant lines of the new turbo to the two radiator nipples at the bottom? Most people T into the radiator hose right? I'm not sure exactly who's doing what but can someone give me a heads up on their set up and if anyone has done what I'm thinking? Thanks
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:35 PM

no one has a water cooled turbo?
Old Sep 3, 2011, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, few do.. Easiest place to do is.. is just use the Throttle Body coolant lines and run them to the turbo instead..

/thread and use search button
Old Sep 3, 2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Demon_ni2
Yes, few do.. Easiest place to do is.. is just use the Throttle Body coolant lines and run them to the turbo instead..

/thread and use search button
okay, i thought of that, but then the coolant would just circulate through the turbo and through throttle? I'm not sure, but isn't the coolant lines of the turbo point to circulate through the radiator? The engine is just hot right, so wouldn't id be ideal to just circulate the turbo coolant through the turbo and straight to the radiator and bypass the engine? Maybe someone can explain because I can't find anything on google. Thanks
Old Sep 3, 2011, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

do whatever u want. try the search button dude. there plenty of people that have posted pictures of it. they just dont run coolant to the throttle body anymore. If u dont live in northern canada, u dont need the throttle body to be heated. and 200+ degree water is whats cooling ur 1000+ degree turbo.. yes it cools just fine. no other easier way to do it.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 12:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by c_james
So I've decided on a new turbo, this one is water and oil cooled. I actually got a new radiator a month ago and this one has two nipples on the bottom for possibly a tranny cooler? Well can I just run the coolant lines of the new turbo to the two radiator nipples at the bottom? Most people T into the radiator hose right? I'm not sure exactly who's doing what but can someone give me a heads up on their set up and if anyone has done what I'm thinking? Thanks
You cannot run the turbo to these lines because there is nothing pumping coolant through those outlets.
okay, i thought of that, but then the coolant would just circulate through the turbo and through throttle? I'm not sure, but isn't the coolant lines of the turbo point to circulate through the radiator? The engine is just hot right, so wouldn't id be ideal to just circulate the turbo coolant through the turbo and straight to the radiator and bypass the engine? Maybe someone can explain because I can't find anything on google. Thanks
Way too much work there as you would have to fab up some kind of mount and and extra external water pump to pump the coolant through the turbo and into the radiator then back. Take demons advice man look for pics on this there are plenty. I recently changed mine from being t'eed into the throttle body lines to straight bypassing them and connecting the coolant lines directly.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 01:38 AM
Evolved Member

For my turbo, I just disconnected one of the coolant lines going to the TB I think, and hooked it to my turbo, then ran a hose from my other turbo coolant line to where the TB one would have been connecting.

The way I see it, you shouldn't T into stuff, you should keep it in a linear fashion, where coolant flows from one thing to the next. Biggest benefit to running coolant to your turbo...no real need for a turbo timer!
Old Sep 5, 2011, 04:54 AM

Okay thanks for the reply guys, and good info, I was thinking the same thing with propelling the flow with those radiator ports....I think I'll just run through the tb lines, I believe I disconnected them when I swapped my motor lol, so I will have to reconnect them, thanks
Old Sep 5, 2011, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Okay thanks for the reply guys, and good info, I was thinking the same thing with propelling the flow with those radiator ports....I think I'll just run through the tb lines, I believe I disconnected them when I swapped my motor lol, so I will have to reconnect them, thanks
did you just butt them together? If so, you've got a perfect spot right there to include the coolant flow, and even a butt connector to like one line through. I guess mine though I just followed one of the hoses to the TB, and removed it altogether, and ran a new line from the source to the turbo to the TB, like adding another link in a chain. Just curious, what kind of turbo did you decide on?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by HornstarBU
did you just butt them together? If so, you've got a perfect spot right there to include the coolant flow, and even a butt connector to like one line through. I guess mine though I just followed one of the hoses to the TB, and removed it altogether, and ran a new line from the source to the turbo to the TB, like adding another link in a chain. Just curious, what kind of turbo did you decide on?
I'm actually going to check tonight, but I believe I just connected the two radiator lines together and nothing is going through the tb, so I may just disconnect those two radiator lines and connect the turbo lines to each one of them? I don't know, unless the flow through the tb is necessary, which makes no sense to me lol, anyways, I just went with a slightly larget garrett t3 turbo 50 trim instead of 45 trim, I was going for the 16g, but 1 (too much fabrication as the t3 will bolt right up again) 2 (I've read too many people saying how they got rip off RRM's kit and then switched to some other turbo T3 or so and said the difference is night and day....again I don't know, but as far as saving time, I decided not to re-weld stuff just to fit a 16g when I don't even know for sure the outcome. I'm only doing all this because my stupid 6 puck clutch disc blew up again (I don't know why) and I got the mb8-xtss ACT clutch coming, so I figured fix up the turbo noise too lol, and what next, another new engine.... hope not
Old Sep 5, 2011, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only reason for the coolant lines being run through the throttle body is so the throttle body will heat up quicker and thus the idle will drop to normal faster.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

seriously guys.. this has ben discussed in like.. 20 threads.. why are yall condoning this mans lazyness in not searching. someone please lock n close this thread its now making me ANGRY!
Old Sep 5, 2011, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Demon, your always angry
Old Sep 5, 2011, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

u win!
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:11 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Please keep this thread on topic and no arguing / mud slinging.