Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

4G94 vs 4G64

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2011, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steven121
see this is where im confused at I built full boost around 4-5k at 17 pounds and my timing was set to I think 4-5 degrees.

Hornstar says lower timing to build quicker boost, demon says raise the timing to increase power with boost... can somone clarify if I did something wrong?
Timing retarded before the point where knock is reached will create extra heat....the more retarded, the more heat to a point. The more heat flowing through there, the more boost, or so i have been told (meaning you spool up quicker). Once you are at that boost you want though, you want as much timing as you can safely run.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by steven121
see this is where im confused at I built full boost around 4-5k at 17 pounds and my timing was set to I think 4-5 degrees.

Hornstar says lower timing to build quicker boost, demon says raise the timing to increase power with boost... can somone clarify if I did something wrong?
In most cases you do both..

In the lower load region you up keep afr moderately rich and lower timing to push hot exhaust into the turbine this will increase boost pressure which in turn raises load.

As load increases you either leave the timing flat or bump it up a degree or two to reach maximum potential. Obviously this technique has its drawbacks namely less power in a uphill cruise range.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
So basically keep your timing low to spool up the turbo quicker and once you reach full boost and hold it all the way from example 4k-6500, start from 4k range in the rpm scale and raise the timing until you reach 6500 rpms right... but start at 4k and where your load is at its peak and you should be making power, or until your engine starts knocking then back it off a degree to be in the safe zone. please tell me do i have it right because thats what I have been doing.

If you want to see my tune for 17 pounds let me know and give me some advice on what I did to make this happen. "don't have ecu flash anymore new cpu"
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I hate drawbacks.. Makes big turbo cars have 0 power outside of boost really.. just to get it to spool quicker.. LOL DDn turns into cruising at like 5hp instead of 70-100. lol which is actually nice to cruise with because its more settled, but not if u need a little umf to get going. thats actually why i think my trans and motors have all lasted longer then expected,im playing with no power most of the time.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Steven the technique is really meant for helping out the turbo in the range it normally has trouble building boost which is lower rpm for most turbo's. What you do is start the pull at really low rpms like 2000 and punch it to full throttle looking for the load and rpm point that the turbo naturally will pick itself up at. Generall you can just lower timing a bit in that slacking area and get some more boost and the curve will present itself after a few tries and you can just follow it through to redline at the same load levels.

My FP Red wouldn't boost much past 10psi until 4k rpm then it would rocket up. But it had other issues once you got the boost at lower rpm's up it had a tendency to surge. Demon may dislike compromise but no combination is perfect and practically all tunes are geared towards some setup either full WOT, high response, or somewhere in the middle.

I wouldn't be so daring as to come out and say your doing it wrong because people have different goals in mind. I just try to give out hints that point them in a direction that gets them there.

That being said some turbo's just don't need help they are too small to be concerned with tuning techniques and pick up quickly enough it wont matter. Others can be too large and too much boost at the left side of the compressor map will induce surge which is worse than less boost.