Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

4G94 vs 4G64

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
4G94 vs 4G64

Ok so many of you know I sold the lancer yes biggest mistake I have ever done and one of the fastest cars I have ever owned "keeping up with gt mustangs on stock block"

Well I have a new car 01 cobra mustang that will be my DD

So in the next couple months i'm going to buy another lancer and build it. But before I do anything yet I wanted an opinion

I know the specs of both motors but I want to know what you think

make a built 4G94 motor run it like demons

build a 4G64 block with evo 8 head "it will be built to" but spend time making a custom motor mount and ripping everything out to make it work?

so pretty much saving time vs spending time
Old Oct 4, 2011, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that 64 would be awesome... but you also have to do some trans work as well... not to mention a whole different tune and all the wires it just sounds like a pita to me.

it would be nice to have the extra .4 lol but eventually what about traction. idk personally i would just throw some internals in and run 25 psi. if i had the money
Old Oct 4, 2011, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

I would say '64 if you are built the tranny as well to make sure that you are able to put the power down. The options with it and the evo head would unbelievable. With the '94, many parts would have to be custom which would be cool but more expensive and time consuming.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

but I want to know Demon's opinion on this since he has a crazy motor.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok... my opinion..
for starters, custom motor mount.. lol actually not required, did some research and it will drop right in, but a good motor mount should take an idiot 10mins to make as long as u have a cutter and a basic mig welder...

4g64 is a better platforum.. durr.. But.. then again u run into the arguement, its not a lancer anymore.. i run into it all the time.. and all my car is missing is AC and carpet..

everyone knows im swapping to a 2.4 setup next and going to a 47r turbo..

If u have the funds.. (ruffly, 500motor, 3k bottom end'buscher 2.4 setup', say 1k head'cheap') for about 4-5k u can have a bear minum 'built' 2.4 evo setup.. But then u gotta remember, built motor, what about the turbo....? so another 1k(give or take. for a complete oem setup..) so ur looking at about 400ish hp on a stock turbo, that will be nice, but garenteed SPIN KING with no top end power compared to what u make in the low end.. u wont hang with anyone making similiar power. 16g on a 2.4 is pointless... y even build the motor, should handle 600-700 at moderate boost levels with a decent sized turbo.

IF u do it right, ur talkin another 2.5-3k(cheapside) on a decent turbo setup.. 35r is still a fast spooling turbo for a 2.4L and honestly will give u a decent power ban... but will still be alot of traction issues.
if ur more into drag and highway fun.. well.. ur FWD... ur going to spin with quick spooling turbos, u might want to look into a 40r or even a 42r to give u that extra MPH past 2nd n 3rd before boost to help with keeping spinning to a minimum on rollons.. any decent setup can launch in boost from a dead stop, traction is your only enemy below 40-70mph depending on turbo setup. but slicks at the track help cure that..

I am in the same boat. im in the process of looking for another lancer as my new DD.. but nothing stays stock for long. im thinking highcompression on stock injectors for best fuel economy, and going ahead and selling everything and going up to the 2.4 with a 47r on the drag car also
u can do alot more with the 2.4. but down side is, if u build it, an oem evo turbo setup just wont work, wont make the power where u want it because of its lack of streetability on a fwd setup.. 400hp at 3k rpm.. gl with makin any traction below 70mph. i went bigger for a reason, even on my 2L

with starting from scratch...
Im a fan of useing either setup.. But if u wanna be able to bust stangs(and dependabl)(u willl want vettes with a built setup), ur gunna have to either go big on a 4g94(5k) or go huge with a 2.4(8k) setup. and either way.. u will have transmission issues. bustin street stangs on street tires aint nothin special(4g94 at 17psi can handle that no issues and should last a long time without many mechanical issues), i play with the svts with big dragradials n cages and barely have enough. and im pushin that little motor pretty hard.

Best personal Opinion.. go for FWD allmotor Pro build.. build a highcompression 4g64 evo setup.. u will see 12s in the 1/4, maybe 11s if u can drive pretty well, 10s if u really push it to the limits. and should make in the 250-300hp range with plenty of power to play with.. remember we can get to almost 2k lbs. u will have less trans and axle issues(at the track with slicks wil be abusive either way), and almost no traction issues beyond 30-40mph (with dragradials) on the street.

Last edited by Demon_ni2; Oct 11, 2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

oh. my new DD lancer will be a highcompression 2.4 evo setup, might be with the bare minumums with rods pistons headstuds only.. keeping ac and full interrior as a true DD. hoping to see around 220-240hp and still get 30+mph. to be a true DD and still very dependable. hopin to put alot of miles on it.(long drives are nice to be able to take when u dont ger 12mpg in a truck, saves alot on beach trips. lol)

Last edited by Demon_ni2; Oct 11, 2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

If u say its strickly a toy.. i think u need to figure out what u really want to do with ur toy.
if ur not into the drag scene at all. u might not wanna go to a 2.4... cuz a built 4g94 will be alot cheaper and still make plenty of power for the street.

Im into, show, drag, some street/highway stuff.. and i liked the idea of still having just a normal automatic lancer.. thats what i have right now.. but thats getting old..

im going to sratch off the street stuff now, and trailer it 100% and go up to a bigboy 2.4 setup.. mostly for just drag and show.

unless u have 10k just sitting around, its gunna take u about a year to builld it. and probably another 2-3month to get all the bugs worked out. so spend plenty of time figuring out what u wanna do. my new DD lancer will be plenty enough power for the street, should also handle stangs without any boost. but there isnt much of a street scene around me anymore. and drag lancer will be eye poping at any show and fun/scary at the track.

whatever u do, just make sure once its built.. get it tuned by a professional, dont mess around with tuning for 6months to get it running 'alright'

100% show/drag toy.... spend the big bucks.. make it straight up baller, cant hate on something thats just straight up NASTY lookin. fully shaved, tucked, no ac/ps, 4g64 evo with borg s372(42r, but much bigger looking hosing).. all the custom parts will run u a few Gs.. but the car would be unforgetable, and ud never think about selling it because of how much u have put into it.

if u dont go big. u will have fun for a while, then start lookin for ways to go even bigger. racing and shows will get into your blood. lol

Last edited by Demon_ni2; Oct 11, 2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

I think my ideal car and engine setup would just be to get 8.8:1 comp pistons and some forged rods, then all the intake mods like bigger throttle body and ported everything. With that, run a nice turbo like the FP white or something similar, and go up to 20 psi. The most important part would then be...limited slip and some thick axles, maybe built trans. Wouldn't that be able to make 300+ hp and some quick 1/4 mile times?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

oh.. if u want to stick to 4g94.. hit me up. id sell mine for the right price
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, you should just drop in a stock evo 4g63, you can find a complete one with stock turbo for around 2000 bucks. The stock 4g63 can handle a good amount of power. ive seen stock block evos hit 400awhp on pump and 500 on e85. thats PLENTY for a fwd lancer, especially since the lancer is several hundred pounds lighter, the 2.4 block would be overkill imo with a fwd car.

even with the stock turbo, i only have a fuel pump, licp, tbe, and a tune on 91 octane i made 287 whp, thats in an AWD 3300 pound car. imagine that in a little 2600lb lancer.....
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

But...the question is, why even go to the 4g63, stock or stroked or whatever....this whole concept of seeing stock evos hit 400awhp, I still think that the 4g94 should be able to hit that too if the boost is there. A solid, professionally done tune, on 20psi, with the transmission parts to support it makes 400hp possible, right? Maybe have to Mivec swap or dual throttle body or something....but it's possible. Someone tell me it's possible!!

Damn it demon...hit the dyno already
Old Oct 12, 2011, 02:17 AM

@Demon, I'mdriving an auto 4g94 and still deciding between going turbo or N/A. Can you pm me your set and we'll work it out? Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HornstarBU
Damn it demon...hit the dyno already
huh? lol whats that... no load bearing around me.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Demon_ni2
huh? lol whats that... no load bearing around me.
It's just so annoying that you have the built engine, and then the nice borg turbo....and then in your sig say "I'll leave power to guessing" it's like getting to Christmas, and getting a big-ol box, but you can't see what's inside. Have you ever VirtualDyno'd it? oooh...auto's can't, is that true?
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

autos cant get real numbers on dynos period.. plus i havent had a motor or trans in the car for more then half the year due to failures. hopin to get it back together before nov 6th so we can dyno at 24psi and really dial in the upper rpm before importfaceoff montgomery. but might not haapen due to short time span

and honestly. ive lots alot of interest in the car scene. not done with it.. just not into trying to go to everything possible anymore. so im not really trying to push to get anything done lately..
im at the gym 2-3hrs a day 5 days a week after work. and 2 hr runs on the weekend(weather permitting). my priorities have just changed. im getting back into bodybuilding.

Quick Reply: 4G94 vs 4G64